Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 09:23:47 pm

Author Topic: MEDICINE PATHWAY~Bachelor of Science vs Biomedicine and which uni?  (Read 1478 times)  Share 

ringring

• Trailblazer
  • ✞ Philippians 4:13 ✞
  • Respect: 0
Hey!

I'll be completing yr 12 next year and am interested in studying medicine in the future however i'm unsure if i'll get accepted to Monash through the monash guarantee program so is it still worth it to do the UMAT?

Also which is better to study..bachelor of science or biomed and at which university ?

And is it possible to do a bachelor of science or biomed at Latrobe and get accepted into the Doctor of Medicine program at either University of Melbourne or Monash?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 01:44:02 am by ringring »
2016: Further Maths

2017: English, Methods, Chemistry, Biology, HHD

alxhrmnn

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
Re: MEDICINE PATHWAY~Bachelor of Science vs Biomedicine and which uni?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 01:57:16 am »
+1
DEFINITELY do the UMAT. It will just open up so many more options. Ensure you're taking Maths Methods as well.

Monash University no longer takes transfers into their graduate medicine program so you cannot just jump into it. If you want to end in Monash medicine, you've got to start off at Monash.

Biomed is a MUCH safer option than Science, especially at Monash. Consider it the "backdoor" into medicine whereas Science, Physio and Pharmacy are the "trying to desperately crawl in through a window" option. As far as graduate entry into Monash goes they offer 75 places, 50 of which are reserved for Biomed and the other 25 open for Biomed, Science, Pharmacy and Physio of which Biomed usually takes 20+ of those places (thus it's nearly impossible to get in through BachSci etc.). I think Melbourne offer 300+ places into graduate entry open to Arts, Biomed and Science. Again a large majority of these goes to Biomed students.

Anyway: AIM FOR UNDERGRAD entry!! UMAT is MUCH easier than the GAMSAT. DO the UMAT, it won't hurt too much. Work hard next year so that you get undergrad entry to avoid spending the 3 years of your Biomed/Science undergrad studying for the GAMSAT (srsly people do that grad entry is insane)

Good Luck!!  :)