Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:37:43 pm

Author Topic: GPA questions ?  (Read 914 times)  Share 

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
  • Wisdom begins in wonder
  • Respect: +24
GPA questions ?
« on: December 17, 2016, 04:24:38 pm »
Hey guys!
I understand the basics behind the GPA system but I wanted to ask a few questions in particular
1) Should I be doing easier subject to improve my GPA? Or is their a scaling system like in vce so everything is fair?
2) what incentive is their to do harder subjects over easier ones? Like CHM1051 over CHM1011?
3) is it common for people to have perfect 7.0 GPAs?
Thanks!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: GPA questions ?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 04:32:07 pm »
Hey guys!
I understand the basics behind the GPA system but I wanted to ask a few questions in particular
1) Should I be doing easier subject to improve my GPA? Or is their a scaling system like in vce so everything is fair?
2) what incentive is their to do harder subjects over easier ones? Like CHM1051 over CHM1011?
Thanks!
1) Scaling for courses impacts the mark you get. Every course is scaled differently and it depends on the course's own situations (e,g, accidentally set a hard midsem so only that gets scaled). I wouldn't know how VCE scaling works but scaling is not BETWEEN courses.

Regarding easier subjects to boost GPA - There should be a good enough reason for you to.

2) Well, scaling does exist nonetheless. Harder courses aren't just more rewarding in tougher content, but if you're good at it scaling CAN pull you up. Yet, some other people have an incentive to do an EASIER course instead, because it can be more relaxing and give you all you need anyway.

3) That is basically asking how common it is for people to get full HDs, which isn't that common per se. Technically speaking this just becomes rarer as you progress up the years though.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 04:35:59 pm by RuiAce »

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 05:45:51 pm »
+1
Hey guys!
Thanks!
1. Depends how you want your university career to go. If you want to boost your GPA, taking easier subjects definitely lets you do that. I.e., if you have never spoken Chinese before, then taking 4 units of Chinese is going to be very different for your GPA than taking 4 basic Arts/Commerce/Science units. There is no scaling system as there are in VCE, so harder subjects are just that - harder, and easier subjects are just that - easier. (Although, for the most part, most subjects are pretty even with each other, but the Chinese vs. Arts example is a good one).

2. Personal development, getting more from your degree etc etc. I've also heard that subjects you take can be a 'tiebreaker' for competitive courses (this is  pure postulation, I think I've heard it more in the context of international elite universities like Oxbridge/Ivy League etc.)

3. Definitely not common, at all. It's hard to be that consistent for 3-5 years straight. There's definitely a much broader pool of people between like 6.6 and 6.9.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Hopelesshopefull

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 05:54:13 pm »
I know your kinda not asking about this directly but I was told by someone who did CHM1051  that theres not much difference between CHM1051 and CHM1011. She said that  exams are pretty much the same, only thing is that labs are longer (4 hours) but this doesn't even matter because they often finish earlier.  But yh maybe others who've done CHM1051 can clarify too

Litigator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 10:34:41 pm »
is it common for people to have perfect 7.0 GPAs?
Thanks!

I wouldn't stress too much about not having a perfect GPA, thats pretty damm hard. You could lose all hope from semester 1...It is more common to look at WAM sometimes (basically your average). Sometimes a 90 WAM is more impressive than a 4/4 or 7/7 GPA (both are the same thing -. 7 point system is used for some postgrad courses (med and law) - unsure if used as uom undergrad system but at monash it was the 4 system).
vce
monash arts/business
rmit accounting/finance