Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:42:40 pm

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 603926 times)  Share 

nm4065

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1875 on: July 27, 2016, 09:37:18 pm »
Hi Everyone, does anyone know of any 'recent' changes/reforms to the legal system that we can use in Unit 4? :)

jacquic

• Adventurer
« Reply #1876 on: July 28, 2016, 08:25:19 pm »
Hello, just need a bit of help on answering this question.....its worth 3 marks....
Daniel has issued proceedings against Jessica in the County Court. Jessica has been informed that a jury will hear the case.   
Identify and describe one dispute resolution method a court could use to resolve Jessica and Daniel’s dispute. 
Thanks heaps....

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #1877 on: July 28, 2016, 08:35:16 pm »
+1
Hello, just need a bit of help on answering this question.....its worth 3 marks....
Daniel has issued proceedings against Jessica in the County Court. Jessica has been informed that a jury will hear the case.   
Identify and describe one dispute resolution method a court could use to resolve Jessica and Daniel’s dispute. 
Thanks heaps....

If I were answering that question, I'd probably talk about judicial determination or mediation (although there might be other options too). But anyway, I'd probably answer it like:
- Identify method (judicial determination or mediation).
- Description of method, so basically what it is (like a definition and what it entails), and maybe a brief discussion of the role of the third-party in the method.
- Use by the courts (so how the court would use the method - so it may refer the matter to mediation before setting a hearing date; or it may judicially determine the case (in the presence of a jury) by hearing the evidence, submissions, etc. before giving a legally binding decision.

*And whilst answering the question, make use of the person's names and refer to the example. E.g. "the court may use.... to resolve x and y person's dispute." And specifically refer to the county court, as this is the court identified in the example :)

Hope this helps! :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:38:23 pm by Glasses »
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #1878 on: July 29, 2016, 10:28:14 am »
Hi Everyone, does anyone know of any 'recent' changes/reforms to the legal system that we can use in Unit 4? :)

There are a whole bunch in each textbook, and a number of places (like me with CPAP) also put out regular updates during the year. Do you have any resources like these?
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

nm4065

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #1879 on: July 29, 2016, 02:24:50 pm »
There are a whole bunch in each textbook, and a number of places (like me with CPAP) also put out regular updates during the year. Do you have any resources like these?
yes, I'm a CPAP fan- study guide, updates and past SACS!! Very useful! :) I was just wondering if there have been any notable reforms to the legal system in the last 6 months. I'm sure there will be some when I get around to reading the latest update from you!  ;)

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1880 on: July 30, 2016, 10:44:50 am »
yes, I'm a CPAP fan- study guide, updates and past SACS!! Very useful! :) I was just wondering if there have been any notable reforms to the legal system in the last 6 months. I'm sure there will be some when I get around to reading the latest update from you!  ;)

Haha - aw, shucks. Yeah, Update #3 has material on the end of Unit 4 AOS 1 and the whole of Unit 2 AOS 2 - and your reforms only relate to Unit 4. But the timeframe is the last five years, and major things don't tend to change all the time, so I'd ask your teacher for the back copies of 2015's Updates, since it sounds like your school subscribes. Even 2014, as well.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #1881 on: July 30, 2016, 11:08:12 am »
Haha - aw, shucks. Yeah, Update #3 has material on the end of Unit 4 AOS 1 and the whole of Unit 2 AOS 2 - and your reforms only relate to Unit 4. But the timeframe is the last five years, and major things don't tend to change all the time, so I'd ask your teacher for the back copies of 2015's Updates, since it sounds like your school subscribes. Even 2014, as well.

Hi Meganrobyn,

Does my school have to subscribe to gain access to CPAP resources?
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1882 on: July 30, 2016, 02:49:48 pm »
+1
Hi Meganrobyn,

Does my school have to subscribe to gain access to CPAP resources?

To be honest, I only write and present! So I don't know the business side of things. I know 100% that students can come to the lectures and buy the Study Guide without their school subscribing - they're just like normal; but I also write quarterly updates, SACs and exams, and I'm not sure if those are available for individual students to buy. The website probably (almost definitely) knows more about it than I do! So you could definitely check if you're interested. (Plug: I think you should look at the day-long workshop because you're good on the content! ;) )
Good luck!

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1883 on: July 31, 2016, 04:45:50 pm »
Hi all,

For the following question:

Discuss the ability of parliament to change the law (10 marks), I understand the question is wanting me to draw out the strengths and weaknesses of parliament. However, I am finding it difficulty to link some of the strengths back to the question relating to parliaments 'ability to change the law.'

For example, a strength of parliament is that since it's elected by the people it must be representative of them in parliament, making laws which reflect their views and values. Further, the government will sometimes delay the passage of a bill for public reaction.

How can this point properly relate back to the question?

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1884 on: July 31, 2016, 09:22:53 pm »
Hi all,

For the following question:

Discuss the ability of parliament to change the law (10 marks), I understand the question is wanting me to draw out the strengths and weaknesses of parliament. However, I am finding it difficulty to link some of the strengths back to the question relating to parliaments 'ability to change the law.'

For example, a strength of parliament is that since it's elected by the people it must be representative of them in parliament, making laws which reflect their views and values. Further, the government will sometimes delay the passage of a bill for public reaction.

How can this point properly relate back to the question?

I think you're stumping yourself a bit with the wording you've got pre-prepared - don't rely on it; rely on the idea, and see if the wording can use the language of the question. As in, are you arguing that parliament is better *able* to make laws that reflect the views and values of the public because they are open to public input via elections and government consultation...?
Good luck!

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1885 on: July 31, 2016, 09:48:53 pm »
I think you're stumping yourself a bit with the wording you've got pre-prepared - don't rely on it; rely on the idea, and see if the wording can use the language of the question. As in, are you arguing that parliament is better *able* to make laws that reflect the views and values of the public because they are open to public input via elections and government consultation...?

Yes, that's my argument.

Sorry, I think I misinterpreted the question in regards to the types of strengths/weaknesses I should be raising. Looking at the examiners report, the following was one of the points which could have been made, however I don't understand how it can relate back to parliaments ability to make laws.

'Parliament is elected by the people and therefore is in a position of being able to represent the people through its changing of the law.'

Thanks again.

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1886 on: August 01, 2016, 09:36:21 pm »
+1
Yes, that's my argument.

Sorry, I think I misinterpreted the question in regards to the types of strengths/weaknesses I should be raising. Looking at the examiners report, the following was one of the points which could have been made, however I don't understand how it can relate back to parliaments ability to make laws.

'Parliament is elected by the people and therefore is in a position of being able to represent the people through its changing of the law.'

Thanks again.

Sometimes it can help to relate it back to courts to see the corollary. Here, the courts *don't* have the role of making laws that represent people, and a big part of that is the fact that they're independent and *not* elected.

Essentially, the exam isn't trying to trap you into a narrow argument. I mean, what you say has to be related to the question and you can't just go off and talk about something different because you prefer it (eg question asks about eval so you have an eval intro then write an answer all on reforms), but the terms used are generally intended to be more encompassing than restrictive.
Good luck!

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1887 on: August 03, 2016, 04:56:37 pm »
Hi everyone,

When given an evaluate question, such as, evaluate the role of legal representation in the adversary system of trial, do my first points have to be negative if my view of the role is negative and vice versa?

Sorry, I hope I make sense.

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #1888 on: August 03, 2016, 05:38:13 pm »
+2
Hi everyone,

When given an evaluate question, such as, evaluate the role of legal representation in the adversary system of trial, do my first points have to be negative if my view of the role is negative and vice versa?

Sorry, I hope I make sense.

I don't think there is any 'right' way to do it - and it probably depends on the particular question, and what flows best.
I tend to like answering extended response questions as follows:
Intro
Strength
Correlating weakness (if applicable).
Strength
Correlating weakness (if applicable), or correlating/additional strength or weakness, depending on contention.
Conclusion
Or something of the like.

Otherwise, you could go:
Weakness
Correlating strength
etc.

I'd assume it depends on what just 'works' for the particular question. :)

But I don't really like going:
Strength
Strength
Strength
Weakness
Weakness
Weakness
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1889 on: August 03, 2016, 05:57:29 pm »
I don't think there is any 'right' way to do it - and it probably depends on the particular question, and what flows best.
I tend to like answering extended response questions as follows:
Intro
Strength
Correlating weakness (if applicable).
Strength
Correlating weakness (if applicable), or correlating/additional strength or weakness, depending on contention.
Conclusion
Or something of the like.

Otherwise, you could go:
Weakness
Correlating strength
etc.

I'd assume it depends on what just 'works' for the particular question. :)

But I don't really like going:
Strength
Strength
Strength
Weakness
Weakness
Weakness

Thanks Glasses. Yes, I tend to agree that there is no 'right' response.  :)