Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 03:40:37 am

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 605304 times)  Share 

nm4065

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1770 on: April 25, 2016, 11:05:30 am »
Roughly, how many words should a 10 mark question on the exam be? Thanks!

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #1771 on: April 25, 2016, 03:14:21 pm »
i.e. reinforcing position with evidence from body of answer (this is not simply 'repeating' yourself)- will not gain full marks.

That is incorrect.

And I think the way you are speaking to me is really inappropriate. I would like for you to not speak to me directly again unless I'm offering a response to a question you have asked or it's with a very different tone.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1772 on: April 25, 2016, 03:15:58 pm »
you both wrote essentially the same thing yet there is conflict?  :(

See, I think we wrote very different things: that a longer conclusion with material from the body of the answer is required, versus is not required. That wasn't the cause of the conflict, though.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #1773 on: April 25, 2016, 05:24:58 pm »
Anyone can post in this thread, but just a reminder to everyone that we should try to avoid being passive-aggressive and remain civil. Thanks! :D

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #1774 on: April 25, 2016, 09:52:47 pm »
See, I think we wrote very different things: that a longer conclusion with material from the body of the answer is required, versus is not required. That wasn't the cause of the conflict, though.

oh ok. I won't go into this more because I don't want to reopen the conflict.
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1775 on: April 26, 2016, 01:24:57 pm »
+1
Roughly, how many words should a 10 mark question on the exam be? Thanks!

You should leave about 20-25 minutes to answer the 10-marker, and you should aim to write as close to three pages as possible. Try to balance detail with covering a wide range (and number) of points.
Good luck!

upandgo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1776 on: April 26, 2016, 07:25:09 pm »
hi everyone  :) when referring to a case in your response, is it required to specify the full name of the case? for instance, if i were to mention the tasmanian dam case, would i introduce it as 'Commonwealth & Anor v Tasmania & Ors (1983)' case, or simply refer to it as the tasmanian dam case?

i recall the 2015 assessment report stating that cases which weren't properly cited/named wouldnt gain full marks, so would it be expected to address cases by their full title in the exam?

thanks in advance!
2015: Biology | Accounting
2016: English [44] | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Business Management | Legal Studies

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #1777 on: April 26, 2016, 07:42:55 pm »
+1
hi everyone  :) when referring to a case in your response, is it required to specify the full name of the case? for instance, if i were to mention the tasmanian dam case, would i introduce it as 'Commonwealth & Anor v Tasmania & Ors (1983)' case, or simply refer to it as the tasmanian dam case?

i recall the 2015 assessment report stating that cases which weren't properly cited/named wouldn't gain full marks, so would it be expected to address cases by their full title in the exam?

thanks in advance!

pretty sure i just mentioned the 'Tasmanian Dam Case' and was not penalized whatsoever- however, if you want to guarantee no penalization, i suggest you learn the full name for the case- or enough of the full name so that your examiner has no doubt in which case you have selected to use! :) (may not be entirely correct, correct me if i was wrong- just going from my experience last year and doing fairly well.)
Uni and life

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1778 on: April 26, 2016, 09:32:59 pm »
+3
You don't have to put the whole case name, for a case as well known as the Tasmania Dam Case, the nickname is okay.

If it was some random case you found yourself I would recommend writing the full name.
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1779 on: April 28, 2016, 11:46:40 pm »
+1
Need help answering an 8 mark Question which asks to explain three similarities and three differences between the USA's protection of Rights and Australia's protection of rights

are there any specific queries you have about the question or do you just want someone to write the answer for you?

Drewballs

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #1780 on: May 02, 2016, 05:43:41 pm »
Hi Everyone!
I just did my AOS 2 SAC which is out of 25 marks (50% of AOS 2) and i got my results, which was 24.5/25 or 98%.
I lost half a mark for the following question
Using an example, define concurrent powers (2 marks)
My response was:
Concurrent powers are the law making powers that are shared between the State and Commonwealth Parliaments, which both parliaments can legislate on. The law that applies is determined by s109 of the Commonwealth Constitution. An example of concurrent powers is the power over taxation, which is in s51 (ii) of the Constitution.

I was marked 1.5/2 for this question and lost marks because apparently taxation isn't a good example. Is this well justified?
I need more opinions before i argue with my teacher!
Any help would be appreciated

upandgo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1781 on: May 02, 2016, 09:31:53 pm »
Hi Everyone!
I just did my AOS 2 SAC which is out of 25 marks (50% of AOS 2) and i got my results, which was 24.5/25 or 98%.
My response was:
Concurrent powers are the law making powers that are shared between the State and Commonwealth Parliaments, which both parliaments can legislate on. The law that applies is determined by s109 of the Commonwealth Constitution. An example of concurrent powers is the power over taxation, which is in s51 (ii) of the Constitution.

I was marked 1.5/2 for this question and lost marks because apparently taxation isn't a good example. Is this well justified?

i used taxation in my SAC and my teacher raised no issues  :o maybe he expected you to provide more than one example (eg. bankruptcy, marriage)?

congrats on such a good score btw  :)
2015: Biology | Accounting
2016: English [44] | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Business Management | Legal Studies

Drewballs

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #1782 on: May 02, 2016, 09:51:47 pm »
There was the same question for Specific and exclusive powers and i only used one example!
Thanks mate :)

plumbvan

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Catholic Ladies' College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #1783 on: May 02, 2016, 10:01:49 pm »
my teacher wanted me to explain and be more specific as to how exactly it was concurrent so that could be it??

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1784 on: May 03, 2016, 08:21:45 am »
Hi Everyone!
My response was:

There's no such thing as a good or a bad example - it's either correct or incorrect. And taxation is correct. I'd clarify that the mark was genuinely lost just because they would have preferred a different example.
Good luck!