Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 03:28:09 am

Author Topic: Accounting 2016 roll call!  (Read 9598 times)  Share 

One Step at a Time

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +3
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: Accounting 2016 roll call!
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 09:16:19 pm »
I've been procrastinating in all my subjects and accounting is definitely no exception!  :-\

We're quite behind in content compared to other schools though as we just finished debtors and creditors!

How many SACs has everyone had? How ere they?  :)

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
  • Wisdom begins in wonder
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 10:56:13 pm »
I've been procrastinating in all my subjects and accounting is definitely no exception!  :-\

We're quite behind in content compared to other schools though as we just finished debtors and creditors!

Ive had 2,
Dw, just pick it up these holidays!
What are you guys up to?

Maz

• West Australian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 01:01:03 am »
ive had 3 so far and i got another on thursday :( so many tests. with accounting i find i either do really well or tremendously horrible
i got 35% on my first one (i feel embarrassed even saying it), then 95% in the second one, and 97% on the latest one. one was on budgets, one on CVP, and one of auditing. and thursdays one is on cost accounting
so going alright- besides that one test which i did so badly on
2016: Methods | Chem | Physics | Accounting | Literature

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 04:11:06 am »
ive had 3 so far and i got another on thursday :( so many tests. with accounting i find i either do really well or tremendously horrible
i got 35% on my first one (i feel embarrassed even saying it), then 95% in the second one, and 97% on the latest one. one was on budgets, one on CVP, and one of auditing. and thursdays one is on cost accounting
so going alright- besides that one test which i did so badly on

that is probably a circumstantial thing then, cause like going from 35 too consecutive 90s seems fishy and is probably just because you messed up on the day yeah?
Congratz on the two 90s though,
I have another one on Wednesday too!

Maz

• West Australian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 09:17:36 am »
hopefully it is circumstantial n just a one-off thing. thanks btw  :)
what is ur one on?

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 03:21:12 pm »
hopefully it is circumstantial n just a one-off thing. thanks btw  :)
what is ur one on?

vce course is a bit different, btw you are doing WACE Accounting yeah?
Mine was on Accounting principles and characteristic then on General Ledgers and General Journal

Maz

• West Australian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 09:12:10 pm »
vce course is a bit different, btw you are doing WACE Accounting yeah?
Mine was on Accounting principles and characteristic then on General Ledgers and General Journal
yeah i am...we did that stuff last year for 1/2...last year was the accounting stuff more...this year its into cost accounting and budgets and more towards the managerial accounting side, whereas 1/2 was he principles and general ledger/journal stuff  :)

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 09:15:56 pm »
yeah i am...we did that stuff last year for 1/2...last year was the accounting stuff more...this year its into cost accounting and budgets and more towards the managerial accounting side, whereas 1/2 was he principles and general ledger/journal stuff  :)

ahh that makes sense,
VCE doesn't really distinguish between the two in units 1/2 and 3/4. Both are a mix of practical accounting techniques and a firm's management.

Maz

• West Australian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 09:19:09 pm »
thats interesting  :)
yeah in ours there is a big distinct difference- 1/2 is the clark type accounting and 3/4 is managerial stuff and interpreting things like ratios etc. like we would be given info and have to make a performance report/cash budget/statement of debtors and then analyse it and say what could be improved by doing what, all with the goal of improving financial position  :)

Cornrow Kenny

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 09:24:11 pm »

What chapter are you up to?

I had my first SAC on chapters 1-6 I think, basically General and Subsidiary ledgers, Special Journals and all the theory behind it etc. I did pretty well compared to my cohort I guess, scores differ from school to school IMO...
15'/16' VCE - 96.55
17'- Bachelor of Commerce (University of Melbourne)

Cristiano

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2016, 11:57:53 pm »
We're on the General Journal (ch7)

qazser

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2016, 12:53:42 pm »
Doing Accounting 1/2. How much time is required to achieve ~47+? Considering dropping it and picking up Uni Maths, which gives me extra spares during the week to focus on my other subjects.
AN Chat: Hop On!

2016:Methods[   ]

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2016, 06:10:06 pm »
+1
Doing Accounting 1/2. How much time is required to achieve ~47+? Considering dropping it and picking up Uni Maths, which gives me extra spares during the week to focus on my other subjects.

A bit of a wish you washy question my friend, let me say this
Doing accounting 3/4 has three distinct advantages over doing uni maths
- back up subject : A lot of people think they have their top 4 sort out and locked in, but in reality, no it isn't. Accounting is one of subjects you can keep in your back pocket easily and pull out when need be. That is why I love having it because I know if I do screw up methods, accounting can come out and save the day. Keep in mind, one simple mistake on the exam can take you from a 45 to a 40. It just takes one. So it is safe to have a backup that is relatively easy.
- easy ( relative ) : I do not want to insult anyone ( keep in mind this is relative ) I find accounting piss easy and very doable. That is why I don't need to spend as much time on it as other subjects because the theory is usually easy to grasp and then the practical is very straightforward. Getting a 47ish in the subject does require work.
- Work = success : this may contradict the last point a bit, but since accounting can be such a bludge, you can really smash the subject if you actually tried. Like if you honestly study for the subject, you can destroy it man. It is all about work for this subject, it isn't like English or spesh or physics where people can do 1000s of questions yet still,screw up. Accounting is all about how much you put in, and trust me, you will see massive amounts of improvement after working on the subject. It is kinda like an easy target, that is why I love doing the subject, you can really destroy in it if you just do the work.

It is also good if you wanna go into the commerce field, keep in mind I am pretty biased source lol

nt2387

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2016, 06:32:56 pm »
+1
If you fall behind in accounting or don't truly understand concepts, it will require a large amount of work to achieve anything above 45. Accounting isn't difficult but it requires consistent work and a strong work ethic.  You don't need to study like your life depends on it but you cannot be complacent after a few good SAC marks.

There's a lot to cover in accounting and you really need to get on top of it from the start of the year, particularly the theory aspect of it. I know heaps of people who neglected the theory part of accounting and then found themselves trying to learn a year of theory responses in the few weeks before the exam.

If you put in a decent amount of work throughout the entire year 47 shouldn't be an issue.
2015: Accounting 49 | Sociology 44

2016: Psychology 49 | English 45 | Chemistry 45 | Methods 41     ATAR: 99.55

TUTORING 2017 - PM if interested!

Poetic-Justice

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2016, 06:37:05 pm »
+1
I picked up accounting in unit 3/4,i loafed around in the first term and i got behind Massively with a bold capital M. I had to the 11 hours straight on a weekend and eventually caught up to date.
I got taught a lesson i wont forget any time soon.