Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 01:09:13 am

Author Topic: Study Guides/resources for Year 12  (Read 1189 times)  Share 

Sirius

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
Study Guides/resources for Year 12
« on: January 13, 2017, 09:40:11 am »
Hey there! :)

As there are many different study guides out there for VCE I want to know which would be the best for my subjects.

I am taking  Methods, Chem, eng, Further and Business Management.

I am considering checkpoints for both Methods and Chem.  Are they any good?
Does anyone else know other ones such as Neap or insight which are beneficial/helpful?
Also, what were the study guides/resources you used during Vce?

Thanks  ;D
20XVII: VCE 😑

Mintk

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Study Guides/resources for Year 12
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 11:06:09 am »
+1
I've done Methods, Chem and English last year.

Personally, I felt that checkpoints are great for science-related subjects -- Chem (ESPECIALLY CHEM!) Because they prepare you for the end-of-year practice exams. It's a good revision tool + preparation tool.

For Methods, textbook is usually sufficient. Just do all the questions in the textbook, as well as the revision chapters! Checkpoints are pretty helpful if you want exposure to exam-styled questions as early as possible, but I fared well with doing textbook questions till September ahah.

For English, I recommend you to buy notes off a GOOD english student from your high school who graduated last year! (Those who scored 45+, if you can.) They received great study scores because your teachers approved. They set a good guideline as to how much examples are meant to be used, what kind of words are used in an essay, etc. Buy their essays as well as notes.

Not sure about Further and Bus Man sorry :(
2017-2019: University of Melbourne, Bachelor of BIomedicine

Flowers ~
Mocha, Cheese cakes, Chocolate brownies, Iced green tea, a latte with one sugar, brunch, waffles, Churros... <3

Sirius

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 12:23:49 pm »
For English, I recommend you to buy notes off a GOOD english student from your high school who graduated last year! (Those who scored 45+, if you can.) They received great study scores because your teachers approved. They set a good guideline as to how much examples are meant to be used, what kind of words are used in an essay, etc. Buy their essays as well as notes.

Not sure about Further and Bus Man sorry :(

Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately I can't buy off essays and notes from past high achieving students  :(
But for English, I was also considering the insight text guides. Will they be any good? I think they include notes and characters/theme analysis.

As for Bus Man and Further, I might just use my textbook.  :-\
20XVII: VCE 😑

Vaike

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +236
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 01:30:22 pm »
+1
For Further, all you really need to compile a good set of your own notes is the textbook and the internet. There are heaps of good notes freely available here, and I cant see much point in buying company notes as you can usually make ones more suited to your individual strengths and weaknesses on your own, which in itself is great revision. Just do as many textbook questions as it takes for you to get comfortable with the content, and then dive straight into practice exam questions, they are honestly the most valuable resource available for this subject :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:32:14 pm by Vaike »