Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:04:24 am

Author Topic: Class of 2016!!  (Read 563928 times)  Share 

Hokiksyo-min

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Class of 2016!!
« on: June 24, 2014, 11:38:26 pm »
+1
Hi!
Considering there's already a Class of 2017 thread Class of 2017 Discussion Thread!, I thought that we could use one too!

So if you're a 2016'er lurking around the forums, come and say hi :P
2015: Biology - German
2016: Japanese SL - Chemistry - English - Methods - Drama

Butterscotch

Re: Class of 2016!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 12:29:06 pm »
Hola fellow 2016-er :)

Hokiksyo-min

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 11:56:11 pm »
Hi!  :)
Hola fellow 2016-er :)

Holidays! (finally) - I had work experience at a primary school this last week (when did the grade 6s get so small!) - when do/did you guys do work experience?  Where?

roynish

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 02:49:29 pm »
Wow Hello everyone!

A 2016 graduate here.
Is anyone else studying a VCE subject right now?
I'm doing Biology (not sure how I feel about it ) and was wondering if anyone is in the same boat.
How does everyone feel about VCE physics? Not sure whether or not to do it since everyone says it's boring, but I seem to love physics...hmm.

Holidays! (finally) - I had work experience at a primary school this last week (when did the grade 6s get so small!) - when do/did you guys do work experience?  Where?
I know you're not talking to me, but at my school we do work experience during the term 2 or 3 holidays (unless it's at a school of course) I have not done mine yet....but I'm pretty sure I'm doing it at some sort of science lab because my sister's friend works there! :D
And yes finally school holidays..a bit sad though; school is pretty fun when there's not too much pressure.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 07:57:07 pm by roynish »

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 03:20:13 pm »
+2
How does everyone feel about VCE physics? Not sure whether or not to do it since everyone says it's boring, but I love physics...mm.

Always do a VCE subject that you want to do if you like it, don't let other people's perceptions and opinions of the content taught influence your own choice. A lot of people say accounting is boring, but I actually really like it and do quite well in it, just for something anecdotal.
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.

roynish

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 03:34:00 pm »
Always do a VCE subject that you want to do if you like it, don't let other people's perceptions and opinions of the content taught influence your own choice. A lot of people say accounting is boring, but I actually really like it and do quite well in it, just for something anecdotal.

Thanks I appreciate that. I've just heard much talk that the curriculum is very dry/boring. I'll be doing it anyway; I plan to study physics in university :)

Butterscotch

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 04:27:33 pm »

Oh nice! Would've experienced some nostalgic memories ay? :') I've got mine in Term 3 holidays at an optometrist... looking forward to how that goes  ;D

Wow Hello everyone!

A 2016 graduate here.
Is anyone else doing a early VCE subject right now?
I'm doing Biology (not sure how I feel about it ) How does everyone feel about VCE physics? Not sure whether or not to do it since everyone says it's boring, but I love physics...mm.
 I know you're not talking to me, but at my school we do work experience during the term 2 or 3 holidays (unless it's at a school of course) I have not done mine yet....but I'm pretty sure I'm doing it at some sort of science lab because my sister's friend works there! :D
And yes finally school holidays..a bit sad though. Sad to admit, but I love school.

Hey there! :D
Funny you ask, I'm doing Physics this year :) Although my school only offers Unit 2 of Physics in Year 10... the transition period of it seemed quite fun (we did an experiment about the conductivity of graphite lines ::))
Quite true, a lot of people seem to find VCE Physics a bore (quite controversial) But as Chasej said, do a subject you enjoy ;D
Mhmm a lab would be quite an interesting place to work at, any ideas of what you might be doing there? :)

Just out of curiosity, anyone going to this event at Monash?
http://www.monash.edu.au/study/options/undergraduate/year10-day/

roynish

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 04:39:30 pm »
Hey there! :D
Funny you ask, I'm doing Physics this year :) Although my school only offers Unit 2 of Physics in Year 10... the transition period of it seemed quite fun (we did an experiment about the conductivity of graphite lines ::))
Quite true, a lot of people seem to find VCE Physics a bore (quite controversial) But as Chasej said, do a subject you enjoy ;D
Mhmm a lab would be quite an interesting place to work at, any ideas of what you might be doing there? :)

That's so cool! My school does not offer physics in year 10 (only biology, psychology and environmental science). The other option is to do a unit 3/4 legal or business subject in year 11, but I'm not really into that. Yeah I've only studied very basic physics at school but I've been reading some non fiction books on physics and watching some videos on youtube and it seems super interesting..how do you find it?
Concerning the science lab, I actually have no idea..all I know it's something to do with biology (unfortunately my worst science subject, yet I still love it since it's still science!). I have not seen my sister in a while (she's 13 years older than me and busy with work), but the next time I see her I'm going to talk to her friend and get the details. :) I'll be glad to tell you when I get all the info.
And wait a minute! I have not actually seen that event (tsk tsk I don't research enough). I'm actually going to sign up for it right now because I actually want to go to Monash and do a double degree (arts/science)- probably major in Philosophy in arts and physics for science. Thanks for showing it to me wow
 Do you have any idea what you're doing after vce?

Butterscotch

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 05:06:00 pm »
That's so cool! My school does not offer physics in year 10 (only biology, psychology and environmental science). The other option is to do a unit 3/4 legal or business subject in year 11, but I'm not really into that. Yeah I've only studied very basic physics at school but I've been reading some non fiction books on physics and watching some videos on youtube and it seems super interesting..how do you find it?
Concerning the science lab, I actually have no idea..all I know it's something to do with biology (unfortunately my worst science subject, yet I still love it since it's still science!). I have not seen my sister in a while (she's 13 years older than me and busy with work), but the next time I see her I'm going to talk to her friend and get the details. :) I'll be glad to tell you when I get all the info.
And wait a minute! I have not actually seen that event (tsk tsk I don't research enough). I'm actually going to sign up for it right now because I actually want to go to Monash and do a double degree (arts/science)- probably major in Philosophy in arts and physics for science. Thanks for showing it to me wow
 Do you have any idea what you're doing after vce?
Woah, that's quite a vast amount to pick from in Year 10! I personally wouldn't mind doing a Business-related subject, but I find Science more my thing :P It's pretty good to start engaging yourself into the subjects to I guess get a taste of them ;) So far I haven't done too much from the VCE Physics curriculum other than Motion.. but other than that I used to make circuits and mini motor boats. I'll let you know about what stuff we cover in class once we start ;D
How do you find Biology so far? :) 
No worries! I didn't know of the event until I checked my Compass feed last week  ::) It seems like a great opportunity to get an insight into courses and VCE itself with all the workshops ;D Maybe we'll run into each other ^^

It's good to have a transparent idea of what you're wanting to do... unlike you, I'm quite indecisive on what I might do, but my mind is floating between Med or Pharmaceutical Science :)

With Subject selections around the corner, any ideas on what you might be picking?

roynish

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 05:51:01 pm »
Woah, that's quite a vast amount to pick from in Year 10! I personally wouldn't mind doing a Business-related subject, but I find Science more my thing :P It's pretty good to start engaging yourself into the subjects to I guess get a taste of them ;) So far I haven't done too much from the VCE Physics curriculum other than Motion.. but other than that I used to make circuits and mini motor boats. I'll let you know about what stuff we cover in class once we start ;D
How do you find Biology so far? :) 
No worries! I didn't know of the event until I checked my Compass feed last week  ::) It seems like a great opportunity to get an insight into courses and VCE itself with all the workshops ;D Maybe we'll run into each other ^^

It's good to have a transparent idea of what you're wanting to do... unlike you, I'm quite indecisive on what I might do, but my mind is floating between Med or Pharmaceutical Science :)

With Subject selections around the corner, any ideas on what you might be picking?

Yeah...I would not mind studying legal, science is definitely more my thing. I'm more interested in english/science which is quite paradoxical because maths is often associated with science but I just don't really like it! I'm not very bad at it...and I find some aspects of maths interesting like when applied to science or even talking about infinity or something like whether the universe is mathematical, or if math is a human construct or just a factor of the universe (all about that philosophy haha)
Yeah thanks I'd like to know what you do in physics :o. And wow you used to make circuits and mini motor boats?! Impressive, I just read haha. I love astrophysics to bits :)

I don't mind biology at all! My biology teacher is simply amazing, he is just a really fun teacher. He does go a bit ahead, he often teaches us university biology and goes on to mention that we must exclude that information from the exam because its too much...it's nice though. I think my biology teacher expects me to go on and become a biologist haha but it's probably my weakest science subject and I'd much rather study the sky than life. Regarding the course, it's ok. Our school did Unit 2 first because Unit 1 is much more relevant to Units 3 and 4 . Units 2 was quite ok, not very hard. Biology is all about applying the information though, so if you're great at memorising and spitting out information, it won't necessarily give you a great score in biology. You have to really understand it. . I did love learning about animal behavior and even plant "behavior" (when a plant grows towards a light source etc) which makes me wonder if I should of chosen psychology instead of biology..oh well.  Now we're doing cells and more focusing on humans which is more my area I think! (I heard 3/4 is much like this as well)

Yeah what was your first preference for a workshop? Science was out, so I chose the preparing for VCE one I think.

Ah nice! I bet you'll do just fine in whatever you pursue :) I know what course I'm doing...but not really want I want to do.

Ahh subject selection. Well our school does a few subjects one semester and changes over the next semester. You have to do some subjects in year 10 to do certain VCE subjects; I have no idea if this is the same for other schools. However what sucks is I'm doing science physical (the required science to do physics and chemistry) in semester 2 and I'll hardly have time to experience it before I have to choose my subjects. I have started the subject already as my school starts semester 2 in the last two weeks of semester 1 (same thing at the end of semester 2; we do the subjects we're doing the next year for 2 weeks) but as soon as I get back after holidays I'm going to have to choose my subjects :(!
Pretty sure about: Biology of course, Literature as my only english, Philosophy (the only 100% definite subject), Physics, Chemistry as it's a prereq to many majors and Methods as it compliments physics and chemistry.
I have no space for politics or psychology, which makes me sad since I don't really want to do 8 subjects with two done privately. Too much stress and just not worth it. The problems of loving all my subjects! I was even considering dropping biology and doing psychology or dropping chemistry if I hate it in year 11 and doing units 3/4 of psychology in year 12 (as our school allows this without doing 1/2 if I've done biology). But alas, I think I'll stick to what I've planned. What do you plan to do?
Also everyone seems to hate our only VCE physics teacher (he's my science physical teacher as well) and I'm scared his bad teaching will hurt my grades. I just hope my passion for physics can over ride it. He seems ok though. He actually quite intelligent (a 99.5 atar) and I just love passionate, intelligent teachers haha. He's just a bit quiet....I don't really mind though because I love what we're doing right now (cosmology) but we'll see how I go in the more harder parts of science physical..
(wow sorry I talk a lot)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 07:58:43 pm by roynish »

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 05:52:40 pm »
Just going to say but I went to this event last year and it was really awesome! Last year there was quite a lot of people who went where they gathered everyone on the top floor of the Campus Centre (but then too many people registered which is why they're holding it at Robert Blackwood Hall) but it was really nice meeting others since pretty much everyone there was a friend of a friend really xD
Oh and food was pretty awesome too plus the workshops I did were cool too (doesn't seem like they're offered this year though...)

Butterscotch

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 06:58:56 pm »
Hahaha my school is actually pretty good with extending its students.
Yeah...I would not mind studying legal, science is definitely more my thing. I'm more interested in english/science which is quite paradoxical because maths is often associated with science but I just don't really like it! I'm not very bad at it...and I find some aspects of maths interesting like when applied to science or even talking about infinity or something like whether the universe is mathematical, or if math is a human construct or just a factor of the universe (all about that philosophy haha)
Yeah thanks I'd like to know what you do in physics :o. And wow you used to make circuits and mini motor boats?! Impressive, I just read haha. I love astrophysics to bits :)

I don't mind biology at all! My biology teacher is simply amazing, he is just a really fun teacher. He does go a bit ahead, he often teaches us university biology and goes on to mention that we must exclude that information from the exam because its too much...it's nice though. I think my biology teacher expects me to go on and become a biologist haha but it's probably my weakest science subject and I'd much rather study the sky than life. Regarding the course, it's ok. Our school did Unit 2 first because Unit 1 is much more relevant to Units 3 and 4 . Units 2 was quite ok, not very hard. Biology is all about applying the information though, so if you're great at memorising and spitting out information, it won't necessarily give you a great score in biology. You have to really understand it. . I did love learning about animal behavior and even plant "behavior" (when a plant grows towards a light source etc) which makes me wonder if I should of chosen psychology instead of biology..oh well.  Now we're doing cells and more focusing on humans which is more my area I think! (I heard 3/4 is much like this as well)

Yeah what was your first preference for a workshop? Science was out, so I chose the preparing for VCE one I think.

Ah nice! I bet you'll do just fine in whatever you pursue :) I know what course I'm doing...but not really want I want to do.

Ahh subject selection. Well our school does a few subjects one semester and changes over the next semester. You have to do some subjects in year 10 to do certain VCE subjects; I have no idea if this is the same for other schools. However what sucks is I'm doing science physical (the required science to do physics and chemistry) in semester 2 and I'll hardly have time to experience it before I have to choose my subjects. I have started the subject already as my school starts semester 2 in the last two weeks of semester 1 (same thing at the end of semester 2; we do the subjects we're doing the next year for 2 weeks) but as soon as I get back after holidays I'm going to have to choose my subjects :(!
Pretty sure about: Biology of course, Literature as my only english, Philosophy (the only 100% definite subject), Physics, Chemistry as it's a prereq to many majors and Methods as it compliments physics and chemistry.
I have no space for politics or psychology, which makes me sad since I don't really want to do 8 subjects with two done privately. Too much stress and just not worth it. The problems of loving all my subjects! I was even considering dropping biology and doing psychology or dropping chemistry if I hate it in year 11 and doing units 3/4 of psychology in year 12 (as our school allows this without doing 1/2 if I've done biology). But alas, I think I'll stick to what I've planned. What do you plan to do?
Also everyone seems to hate our only VCE physics teacher (he's my science physical teacher as well) and I'm scared his bad teaching will hurt my grades. I just hope my passion for physics can over ride it. He seems ok though. He actually quite intelligent (a 99.5 atar) and I just love passionate, intelligent teachers haha. He's just a bit quiet....I don't really mind though because I love what we're doing right now (cosmology) but we'll see how I go in the more harder parts of science physical..
(wow sorry I talk a lot)

HAHA! Quite surprising, but also interesting to like Science and English. Ooo~ You would've loved this Science Elective called "Quarks to Quasars" pretty much covers Astrophysics and Quantum Physics. I'll be sure to post about it ^^

Bio is quite interesting (Albeit I don't have that much knowledge in it), my favorite part would probably be genetics!! Ahh, quite a few schools seem to be covering the 1/2 course in the reverse order, I heard Nossal does the same  :-\ 3/4 would probably be a great interest to you :D

I put my first as the VCE one as well :D And my other one was Drugs, from lab to Pharmacy. Have you gotten your session timings yet?  :)

I'm sure you'll do well in undertaking the double degree too! Hopefully you can get more info on it at the expo  ;D

How do you find Science Physical (from the transition period)? I'd say have a quick look at the Study Designs on the VCAA webpage, it'll give an insight to what topics you'll cover in Chemistry & Physics :) But it's unfortunate to have it in Sem 2, but at the same time you'll be able to learn a fair bit around Chem & Physics before-hand if you do choose it in Yr 11 :D Yeah, the transition period is similar to what it's like at my school as well.
That's quite a mix of subjects! It'll probably lighten your load in Yr 12 with Bio out of the way (heard it's quite content based). An option to switch to Psych seems quite convenient :o But with Chem being a prereq for many courses you 'may' want to keep it, but best to do a subject you enjoy :D
My subjects will probably be: EngLang (content is quite interesting), Chem, Methods, Specialist & Accounting in Year 12. With Physics next year. I might drop Accounting for Bio in Year 12 though :/

Ohh!! Don't worry too much about the teacher. Spending time on AN, it's taught me that success can be achieved regardless of your teacher ;) But good luck in Science Physical, it sounds pretty exciting :) Let us know of your experience with it.

Ahah! hopefully with all our talking we can attract a few more 2016-ers lurking around ;)

Just going to say but I went to this event last year and it was really awesome! Last year there was quite a lot of people who went where they gathered everyone on the top floor of the Campus Centre (but then too many people registered which is why they're holding it at Robert Blackwood Hall) but it was really nice meeting others since pretty much everyone there was a friend of a friend really xD
Oh and food was pretty awesome too plus the workshops I did were cool too (doesn't seem like they're offered this year though...)

A fair few seem to have registered this year (~30 or so that I know going already ._.)  The food just makes it a lot more anticipating ;)

Talking about food, I found a video earlier... on how to cut a cake "properly" ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBU9N35ZHIw
(I'm not bizarre, just found that video when i was bored LOLOL)

roynish

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 07:33:08 pm »
HAHA! Quite surprising, but also interesting to like Science and English. Ooo~ You would've loved this Science Elective called "Quarks to Quasars" pretty much covers Astrophysics and Quantum Physics. I'll be sure to post about it ^^

Bio is quite interesting (Albeit I don't have that much knowledge in it), my favorite part would probably be genetics!! Ahh, quite a few schools seem to be covering the 1/2 course in the reverse order, I heard Nossal does the same  :-\ 3/4 would probably be a great interest to you :D

I put my first as the VCE one as well :D And my other one was Drugs, from lab to Pharmacy. Have you gotten your session timings yet?  :)

I'm sure you'll do well in undertaking the double degree too! Hopefully you can get more info on it at the expo  ;D

How do you find Science Physical (from the transition period)? I'd say have a quick look at the Study Designs on the VCAA webpage, it'll give an insight to what topics you'll cover in Chemistry & Physics :) But it's unfortunate to have it in Sem 2, but at the same time you'll be able to learn a fair bit around Chem & Physics before-hand if you do choose it in Yr 11 :D Yeah, the transition period is similar to what it's like at my school as well.
That's quite a mix of subjects! It'll probably lighten your load in Yr 12 with Bio out of the way (heard it's quite content based). An option to switch to Psych seems quite convenient :o But with Chem being a prereq for many courses you 'may' want to keep it, but best to do a subject you enjoy :D
My subjects will probably be: EngLang (content is quite interesting), Chem, Methods, Specialist & Accounting in Year 12. With Physics next year. I might drop Accounting for Bio in Year 12 though :/

Ohh!! Don't worry too much about the teacher. Spending time on AN, it's taught me that success can be achieved regardless of your teacher ;) But good luck in Science Physical, it sounds pretty exciting :) Let us know of your experience with it.

Ahah! hopefully with all our talking we can attract a few more 2016-ers lurking around ;)

A fair few seem to have registered this year (~30 or so that I know going already ._.)  The food just makes it a lot more anticipating ;)

Talking about food, I found a video earlier... on how to cut a cake "properly" ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBU9N35ZHIw
(I'm not bizarre, just found that video when i was bored LOLOL)

Whatttttttttttttttttttt???? I'm so jealous!!! "Quarks to Quasars" sounds amazing. Please post about it haha!

No I have not gotten my session times yet...I think my second one was how to make the right choices. And yes I do hope I will get more info on my double degree. I love science, but not enough to give up my love for philosophy and literature. So a double degree is perfect for me, even though I'll probably end up pursuing a career in science, but you never know! Might be a scientist and a author of philosophy books ;) .

Science physical is amazing so far. We're doing astrophysics (my love) and I absolutely adore what we're doing. The fact that I'll have the recent background in chem/physics before I start VCE seems to be the only benefit for having it this semester.

I  had a look at the study guide and I must say I got a bit excited and giddy when I viewed it. I don't know how I feel about the units 3 and 4 chemistry topics but I'll do it anyway because as you said, it's a prereq for many degrees. I don't think I'll hate it however, I love the sciences.

Oh wow English language! We did a term on it this year for english and I certainly prefer literature. I'd probably do better in English language because it's more objective, but literature really interests me and I love the subjectivity and appreciation of great literary works it generates through analysis. (some people think analysis dries out a book; I think the opposite). Specialist maths! Wow, I greatly admire and respect those who do specialist, it seems very daunting to me.  Best of luck in both subjects!

Yes indeed. Definitely during the summer holidays there should be a influx of 2016-ers around.

That cake video makes me love even more how scientists think!
The cake is a lie!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 08:05:02 pm by roynish »

Hokiksyo-min

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 08:47:16 pm »
Yay! People!

I'm quite indecisive on what I might do, but my mind is floating between Med or Pharmaceutical Science
I'm considering doing Pharm Science too! I read the description and it sounds awesome  :D

Is anyone else doing a early VCE subject right now?
I'm doing Biology (in school) and German (with distance ed) which are sorta polar opposites, but I'm finding both really interesting. Also, German gives me a bunch of free periods, and it got me out of sport this year!  ;)
Talking of free periods - do you guys have any this year? At Nossal, the Year 10s have HEAPS (too many, if you ask some people)

roynish

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 08:51:00 pm »
Yay! People!
I'm considering doing Pharm Science too! I read the description and it sounds awesome  :D
I'm doing Biology (in school) and German (with distance ed) which are sorta polar opposites, but I'm finding both really interesting. Also, German gives me a bunch of free periods, and it got me out of sport this year!  ;)
Talking of free periods - do you guys have any this year? At Nossal, the Year 10s have HEAPS (too many, if you ask some people)
None.
None at all.
My school does not offer free periods for year 10s. Until now I didn't even know there were free periods for year 10s. Wow.
Also yay you're doing biology too. :)
EDIT: if your schools gave exams this semester, how did you guys go? Hope you did well :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:19:10 pm by roynish »