Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:27:17 am

Author Topic: Go8 vs non-Go8  (Read 3762 times)  Share 

1ne

Go8 vs non-Go8
« on: May 13, 2012, 05:42:44 pm »
Hey guys

I know that this thread is likely to turn into a huge debate as I've seen it happen a lot of times at whirlpool.. but this is a genuine question.. as I didn't really know the difference between Go8 vs non-Go8 until a week ago.. so basically my concern is how much of an impact will going to a non-go8 uni have on your employment opportunities.. landing a big4 firm job would be nice however I know that the big4 have a massive bias towards melb + monash graduates because of the universities high rep (I wouldn't blame them you guys who go to melb and monash are some smart cookies) but wouldn't there be at least a decent amount of graduates from say latrobe or rmit too?

the industry which I want to get a job is the business sector specifically finance or accounting.. and unfortuntely am not going to be attending either monash or melb.. probably gonna go to LaTrobe or RMIT for the degree..

all replies appreciated.. I don't want to be working at maccas with an accounting or finance degree which I worked my butt for 3 years lol..

aes_999

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +47
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: Go8 vs non-Go8
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 05:59:34 pm »
+1
'and unfortuntely am not going to be attending either monash or melb..'
Now why is that? You do know that you can always transfer to monash or melbourne if you don't get in to either of these unis, if your grades are high enough.

But let's just say you don't go to monash / melbourne. I've heard that RMIT actually offers a work experience program, something that is not given in monash / melbourne, so I think that's a huge advantage. Monash / Melbourne people have to try out and get work exp. out of uni. I'd like to be nice and say, it's not your university, but your exp. and your personality that gets you a job, but sadly, we know that's not true.

Employment opportunities wise, the top firms, such as the investment banks, big 4 banks and the accountancy firms do usually take in graduates from either Melbourne / Monash, who have significant work. exp and leadership positions. But there is no doubt that RMIT / LaTrobe graduates have landed a top job before; it's just that there's barely any of them do. If I were in your position, I'd try to go to monash / melbourne university via a transfer, if you don't get in automatically.
B.Comm / B.Eco @ Monash 2012 - 2015

Research Assistant, Faculty of Business and Economics, Monash University

1ne

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 06:10:11 pm »
'and unfortuntely am not going to be attending either monash or melb..'
Now why is that? You do know that you can always transfer to monash or melbourne if you don't get in to either of these unis, if your grades are high enough.

But let's just say you don't go to monash / melbourne. I've heard that RMIT actually offers a work experience program, something that is not given in monash / melbourne, so I think that's a huge advantage. Monash / Melbourne people have to try out and get work exp. out of uni. I'd like to be nice and say, it's not your university, but your exp. and your personality that gets you a job, but sadly, we know that's not true.

Employment opportunities wise, the top firms, such as the investment banks, big 4 banks and the accountancy firms do usually take in graduates from either Melbourne / Monash, who have significant work. exp and leadership positions. But there is no doubt that RMIT / LaTrobe graduates have landed a top job before; it's just that there's barely any of them do. If I were in your position, I'd try to go to monash / melbourne university via a transfer, if you don't get in automatically.

Yer I'm definitely aiming to transfer to Monash or Melb.. but this post was to highlight the worst case scenario. Would you think that maybe the reason why not many people are getting jobs at big4 firms is because there are many people at LaTrobe doing Accounting and Finance? Because low ATAR obviously means the courses are less popular therefore less students.. I think this could be contributing factor.. as for RMIT - I don't know.. if I have the same chance as an RMIT student of landing a stable job when I graduate and the lecturers are of similar quality I don't see the reason of travelling to RMIT which doesn't really have a good campus and I don't like it's location. Latrobe is very close to me, travel would be a breeze and I have a lot of friends who go there currently and others who are aiming to go there next year, so this is also some of the reasons why I'm considering Latrobe Uni.

If it wasn't for this whole Go8 prestige crap affecting possible future opportunities I wouldn't give a damn about prestige to be honest.. I just want to get an education in the field which I love, and land a decent job.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 06:12:17 pm by 1ne »

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 06:17:53 pm »
+1
You'll be fine with RMIT or LaTrobe degrees IMO, just make sure you sell yourself as a person and potential employee well.

Yeah there is a slight advantage with the Go8 ones, but in reality if you sell yourself better you'll get the job.
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

1ne

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 06:21:47 pm »
You'll be fine with RMIT or LaTrobe degrees IMO, just make sure you sell yourself as a person and potential employee well.

Yeah there is a slight advantage with the Go8 ones, but in reality if you sell yourself better you'll get the job.

Thank you! How big would you say the advantage is?

Also after you land your first job where you got your degree from becomes meaningless and is replaced by your experience, right?

So this whole Go8 prestige factor only applies when landing your first graduate job?

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 06:36:32 pm »
+1
Yeah as long as you land the first job you should be fine generally.

The advantage really comes down to how biased whoever is choosing graduates is. If you're assumed to be at the same level as a Melbourne graduate, you'll probably lose to job to him/her, but just work on making sure that's not the case and you'll be fine.
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.