Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:29:11 pm

Author Topic: Medea Prompt  (Read 6918 times)  Share 

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
Medea Prompt
« on: February 07, 2017, 04:29:04 pm »
Hi everyone,

For this essay prompt: 'Jason's decisions are based on reason and careful judgment; Medea's decisions are based on passion and selfishness.'

The prompt seems very disjointed and almost separated. How would you phrase a contention for this essay topic? Also, in terms of body paragraphs, would you combine both characters and these qualities.

Sorry for the confusion, but this prompt seems very difficult to work with and isn't very clear.
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

helloeveryone

Re: Medea Prompt
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 05:10:26 pm »
+1
Hi everyone,

For this essay prompt: 'Jason's decisions are based on reason and careful judgment; Medea's decisions are based on passion and selfishness.'

The prompt seems very disjointed and almost separated. How would you phrase a contention for this essay topic? Also, in terms of body paragraphs, would you combine both characters and these qualities.

Sorry for the confusion, but this prompt seems very difficult to work with and isn't very clear.

With those prompts, my contentions are usually about authorial intention. In this case, something like "Euripides castigate the extremities of reason and passion through...". Not sure if this is a good approach though lol.

tim.wells

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 12:48:52 pm »
+1
Hi everyone,

I agree with Helloeveryone's approach in that they are juxtaposing/contrasting the different actions of the characters throughout the essay, which naturally the contention will focus on.

In terms of paragraphs because this is a character-styled question rather than theme-based, I think your best option is to separate the paragraphs by characters. You can make fleeting references to Jason in Medea's paragraph and vice versa, but I think for the most part you should keep them separate for your first two paragraphs, giving an in-depth psychological profile of each character. For your third paragraph I would then write about the tension throughout the play that lies within these contrasting behaviours and Euripides' commentary on it.
Tim Wells

Law undergrad at Monash University

ATAR- 99.20
English Tutor - English (48), Literature (47), Australian History (47), Economics (45), Legal Studies (38), Maths Methods (31)

Get more answers for your questions as well as weekly tips and blog posts, from my friends and I at:

HSC - http://bit.ly/HSChelp
VCE - http://bit.ly/VCEhelp

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 08:00:57 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have a new essay prompt, which I'd appreciate some help with!

The prompt is taken from last year's VCAA exam and is: 'The play Medea is more about justice than revenge.'

I am finding it difficult to differentiate between justice and revenge. Am I on the right track in seeing justice as mainly rational and done with the intention to restore balance, whereas revenge is based more on emotion and a person desire?

Any opinions/views on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

seth

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 10:08:41 am »
+3
Hi everyone,

The prompt is taken from last year's VCAA exam and is: 'The play Medea is more about justice than revenge.'

I am finding it difficult to differentiate between justice and revenge. Am I on the right track in seeing justice as mainly rational and done with the intention to restore balance, whereas revenge is based more on emotion and a person desire?

Hello! Before taking anything I say on board, please note that I'm also in year 12 and have yet to study Medea in school. My input is therefore purely my own and possibly misguided (lol) interpretation.

Honestly, any definition of justice and revenge is valid as long as you can back it up with textual evidence. In your case, there is more than enough quotes which demonstrate personal desires, logic, emotion etc... My only doubts with your version though is that the prompt essentially begs for an answer on if Medea's actions are revenge or justice. Your perspective doesn't really answer this; Medea actions are based both on reason and logic, and it could arguably be both motivated by personal desire and intent to restore balance. If you are going to stick with your idea, I would acknowledge how Euripides remains ambiguous on whether if Medea's actions are justice or revenge.

Anyway, here's some of my thoughts when reading the prompt. Not sure if any of them are any good (or even relevant) so take them with a grain of salt:

- Revenge is morally incorrect, whilst justice is not
- Revenge isn't normal, justice is to maintain order
- Medea disrupts this order, she's a woman and an outcast and manipulates everyone
- Kills the king and princess, the foundation of everything
- Justice is given by those higher (Gods) while revenge is enacted by people equal
- Did Medea have any chance to receive justice, given that she is a woman and outcast living in a patriarchal and xenophobic society?
- What is Euripides saying through this? Is he justifying Medea's revenge?
- Inherent prejudices prevent the course of true justice??
- Revenge is inflicting suffering on others to mitigate one's own
- Revenge is done by the victim
- Did Jason and Creon and his daughter deserve their fates?
- Revenge occurs when justice isn't possible

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:01:58 pm by seth »

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 01:17:21 pm »
Thanks for these ideas, Seth!

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 01:43:26 pm »
+3
Hi everyone,

On top of everything seth has posted, maybe also consider the role of the Chorus who at a distinct point in the play go from supporting Medea's plans to begging her to reconsider. Possibly work in how Euripides uses the Chorus as a way to show justice spilling into revenge, and how the Chorus comments on the actions of others such as Jason. Although I did the other prompt in the exam (something about sympathy), my friends who did the prompt on justice/revenge definitely talked about the Chorus in some format. I tried to work the Chorus into all prompts I tackled and it seemed to work well for me, but of course, use your discretion!
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (: