Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:58:55 am

Author Topic: Brainstorm/Discussion Thread  (Read 2978 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Brainstorm/Discussion Thread
« on: November 02, 2016, 04:24:10 pm »
Here is the place to throw ideas out there to bounce around for feedback! Not sure which name to use for a protagonist? Not sure if the better ending involves a death or a birth? Hell, even struggling for a place to start? Welcome cohort of 2017, this is the place to chat! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

waterdancer

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Re: Brainstorm/Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 04:39:00 pm »
+1
Hello,
Not sure if anyone is going to check this, but I've been pointlessly arguing with myself for three days as to what to name my main protagonist. Writing a short story, kind of revolving around the idea that all literature draws from other works and there is no way to be truly original. Now my work has many references to past texts, and so I wanted the name of my character to reflect this as well. Tossing up between William (Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Faulkner, Boyd - take your pick who I'm referencing) or Markus, after Markus Zusak who is a favourite author of mine. Any thoughts?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 12:10:04 am »
+1
Hello,
Not sure if anyone is going to check this, but I've been pointlessly arguing with myself for three days as to what to name my main protagonist. Writing a short story, kind of revolving around the idea that all literature draws from other works and there is no way to be truly original. Now my work has many references to past texts, and so I wanted the name of my character to reflect this as well. Tossing up between William (Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Faulkner, Boyd - take your pick who I'm referencing) or Markus, after Markus Zusak who is a favourite author of mine. Any thoughts?

Hey! Welcome to the forums ;D

I think you need to consider which will bring more meaning for the reader. Undoubtedly, William will have the more obvious connection to the theme you are running with, so that's an argument for the former. That said, if there are particular connections you want to make with Zusak's works, that name choice could further it.

I suppose my recommendation would be to use whichever you can attach meaning to as a composer. Put yourself in the analyst's shoes; which one would be the better compositional choice, given the work as a whole?

This is of course assuming you want the name to be conceptually relevant. I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong with picking a name you think sounds better ;)

Disclaimer: Not an EX2 student, just my two cents if it helps at all :)

waterdancer

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 08:42:33 pm »
Hey! Welcome to the forums ;D

I think you need to consider which will bring more meaning for the reader. Undoubtedly, William will have the more obvious connection to the theme you are running with, so that's an argument for the former. That said, if there are particular connections you want to make with Zusak's works, that name choice could further it.

I suppose my recommendation would be to use whichever you can attach meaning to as a composer. Put yourself in the analyst's shoes; which one would be the better compositional choice, given the work as a whole?

This is of course assuming you want the name to be conceptually relevant. I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong with picking a name you think sounds better ;)

Disclaimer: Not an EX2 student, just my two cents if it helps at all :)

Alright, thank you so much for that.
I always seem to stress over the little details, quite silly I know, but I think I am leaning more towards William :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 09:21:33 pm »
I always seem to stress over the little details, quite silly I know, but I think I am leaning more towards William :)

No problem! It's okay, I tend to do the same thing! Go with your gut, it will almost definitely be right ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 07:32:08 pm »

I really like your thought process - the names of characters is hardly something to be glossed over. The naming of your characters could be a significant point in your reflection statement. You've had good thoughts so far, but when you get at least half way through your story you'll have a better idea about how it fits - especially in relation to other characters. I found in my own story that when I talked about three characters in the same paragraph, and they all had three syllables to their name, it sounded weird. I know - fussy. That's when I reconsidered the names again to create some variation.

At present, William has the most significance to a marker - but also consider nicknames of great authors, like the Bard (Shakespeare). Not necessarily for the protagonist's first name - but something like Markus Bard.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

LochNess Monster

• Forum Regular
  • I speak Chinglish!
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 08:52:42 am »
Hi I'm doing a Ext.2 Critical.

I was doing Short Story (my first and utter love) but sadly my teacher told me not to do a high-end fantasy which I understand.
I couldn't quite make it work in magic realism either and she dismissed that.

So now I'm doing a critical.

I was wondering if you know any good theorists or theories to attach onto childhood/discourse theory/border theory?
That would be great, thanks!
ATAR: 89.55
⸜( ˙ ˘ ˙)/ ・゚☆✧ Sometimes wrong numbers are the right numbers ~ Cecelia Ahern

☽ “But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.” - Yeats