Uni Stuff > General University Discussion and Queries

Approaching people in tutorials...

(1/3) > >>

M909:
So I don't know anyone going into my course (Commerce at Melbourne), and I'm not the most outgoing person either, but I was just wondering if it's socially acceptable to approach people/groups in lectures to work with them in tutorials (and if rejected, approach someone else ect.). Obviously I don't expect to become BFFL's with everyone, but are people generally open to "outsiders" joining them from start of semester, then working with them in tutes through whole semester. Thanks

Joseph41:

--- Quote from: M909 on February 14, 2017, 11:02:34 am ---So I don't know anyone going into my course (Commerce at Melbourne),
--- End quote ---

Hey, who does? :P

--- Quote ---and I'm not the most outgoing person either,
--- End quote ---

Hey, who is? :P

--- Quote ---but I was just wondering if it's socially acceptable to approach people/groups in lectures to work with them in tutorials (and if rejected, approach someone else ect.). Obviously I don't expect to become BFFL's with everyone, but are people generally open to "outsiders" joining them from start of semester, then working with them in tutes through whole semester. Thanks

--- End quote ---

Yeah, absolutely. What I'm essentially saying is that pretty much everybody is in the same situation as you. They might even be actively looking for somebody to work with!

I mean, obviously I can't speak for everybody you'll potentially approach. Some people may say that they would prefer to work on their own - and that's totally fine, really. Try not to take it personally, because some people are just like that (*raises hand*). But like, yeah, I think doing that would be totally fine! Just use common sense; if people obviously want to be alone, leave them alone. Just be generally polite, and I think most people would be receptive. :)

(NOTE: This is coming from a non-Commerce and non-UoM perspective, but I assume it would be very similar if not the same sort of deal.)

Best of luck! :D

Orb:
Give a shot and see how it goes!

Personally i've never seen this happen, but there's always a first for everything :)

M909:

--- Quote from: Orb on February 14, 2017, 12:42:31 pm ---Personally i've never seen this happen, but there's always a first for everything :)

--- End quote ---

Thanks both of you for the replies. Just wondering, what have you never seen happen Orb?

xsector :
Would you like to be friends? I'm also starting bcom this year and I hardly know anyone!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version