Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 05:55:02 am

Author Topic: 5 Methods for Studying Mathematics  (Read 19580 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: 5 Methods for Studying Mathematics
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 11:40:47 pm »
Yeah, my time management isn't too bad... I think a big thing is maintaining focus for three hours (while kind of rushing because you need to keep on top of time)

That's good! Maintaining focus is easier when you know you're doing the real thing ;) try and do as many past papers as you can to get into the routine of it, that's the best way to go!!

lozil

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 09:03:51 pm »
That's good! Maintaining focus is easier when you know you're doing the real thing ;) try and do as many past papers as you can to get into the routine of it, that's the best way to go!!

Ok, thanks!

lha

• Trendsetter
  • School: Lambton High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 09:46:08 pm »
When doing past papers, should we start from the last question (The hardest question) and then move our way to the beginning of the exam?

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 01:13:15 pm »
+1
When doing past papers, should we start from the last question (The hardest question) and then move our way to the beginning of the exam?

I think doing it from the start to the end is better as it builds up in difficulty

The thing is, if you start off with the last question and you are stuck on it, how are you going to answer it? (unless you skip it and do the other questions first)

lozil

• Trailblazer
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2016, 08:22:24 pm »
Considering we're the first year to get a formula sheet, how much harder do you think this exam will be compared to 2015, 2014 etc.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2016, 08:28:04 pm »
Considering we're the first year to get a formula sheet, how much harder do you think this exam will be compared to 2015, 2014 etc.
Not too hard, because there's no point in being brutal to you guys with it. But I reckon it'll be noticeable enough so that you aren't given too many free marks for using a formula anymore (since they're all right in front of you).

Wouldn't be surprised if the difficulty becomes similar to the 2013 paper. (2014 was easy tbh)

lozil

• Trailblazer
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 10:30:10 am »
Not too hard, because there's no point in being brutal to you guys with it. But I reckon it'll be noticeable enough so that you aren't given too many free marks for using a formula anymore (since they're all right in front of you).

Wouldn't be surprised if the difficulty becomes similar to the 2013 paper. (2014 was easy tbh)

ok, that doesnt sound too bad :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2016, 04:45:47 pm »

2014's paper was quite easy, besides a fairly nasty geometric proof that was more reminiscent of the early 2000's ;D

I'm personally thinking (and the CSSA being quite difficult this year is part of my reasoning) a little harder than that, we may be heading back to the difficulty that we saw from papers in, say, the early 2000's/late 1990's. Harder than anything recent, for sure. But I agree with Rui, I think mainly that will just manifest in less free 'formula marks.'

This is all speculation though, best to just prepare as best you can and be super confident!! ;D

fizzy.123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 01:25:02 am »
instead of completing past HSC maths papers in 3 hours I am giving myself 2hours and 15 mins instead to finish the paper. is this a good idea?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 08:06:25 am »
instead of completing past HSC maths papers in 3 hours I am giving myself 2hours and 15 mins instead to finish the paper. is this a good idea?
This is your choice of studying technique and you need to decide if it is a good idea. These strategies pay off for some people whereas they falter for others.

You need to figure out whether or not this will benefit you. If it does then go for it; it's not like nobody does this sort of thing, but not everyone does.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2016, 11:58:27 am »

I massively agree with Rui, but I will add that I was setting myself 2 hours to do Mathematics Exam by the end of my study period, and I found it worked really well for me!! Perhaps this is because I did so many practice papers that I needed to add some extra pressure by the end, but yeah I did this and it worked well for me! :)

nibblez16

• Forum Regular
  • School: Liverpool Girls
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2016, 01:01:07 pm »
Thank You! This was useful!
How would you tackle the last question for the exam?

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2016, 01:03:57 pm »
Thank You! This was useful!
How would you tackle the last question for the exam?

Definitely leave it for last; they're usually not worth enough marks for you to spend a lot of time on it. There are generally multiple parts, and the first one or two are pretty achievable for most students. However, if you recognise that the last part is seriously difficult, but only worth 2 marks, I would just write some maths down that seems relevant and move on with your life. It just isn't worth wasting a lot of time on something that will get you a max of 2 marks, particularly if you can bullshit one of those marks. If you have plenty of time; definitely give it a proper crack! But you can easily get a band 6 without getting 100% on the last question :)
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

Blissfulmelodii

• Trendsetter
  • "Mistakes are proof that you are trying!"
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2016, 01:12:51 pm »
Hey Jamon,
I have been doing quite a few past papers throughout the year and I've realised my biggest weakness in extension 1 is circle geometry questions. I've memorised all the properties of the circle and generally when I look at the worked solutions they make sense however I never seem to be able to see a way of solving these questions when I look at them. Do you have any advice or any tips on how to approach geometry questions specifically circle ones??

Thanks in advance  :) :) 
--HSC subjects--
Music 1 | Biology | Society and Culture | Spanish Beginners | Math ext 1 & 2 | English Advanced | English ext 1 & 2

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2016, 01:15:58 pm »
Hey Jamon,
I have been doing quite a few past papers throughout the year and I've realised my biggest weakness in extension 1 is circle geometry questions. I've memorised all the properties of the circle and generally when I look at the worked solutions they make sense however I never seem to be able to see a way of solving these questions when I look at them. Do you have any advice or any tips on how to approach geometry questions specifically circle ones??

Thanks in advance  :) :)

Hey! Clearly not Jamon, hopefully you won't get too offended aha.

My general tips for circle geometry is to just write out any information that you can based on the formulas/relationships you know. Write it out in full, using proofs/brackets etc. but also plot the information you find on the diagram you've drawn into your writing booklet. Over time, you should be able to see where you're going; ie. what pieces of information link to other bits of the diagram, and how an answer can pop out of that. Even if you don't get the answer, you'll get the bulk of the marks, because you've done the bulk of the work!

The other way to answer a question is to work backwards. Assume that what you're being asked to prove is true, and then see what happens if it is. Will another angle be equal? With sides be the same length? Once you've figured that out, you know exactly what you need to prove! Then, do the first suggestion above to GET to this proof.

Let us know if we can help with specific questions! Everyone struggles hard with this section, so don't feel alone :)

Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW