Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 03:10:08 am

Author Topic: VCE English Exam - Language Analysis Discussion  (Read 26786 times)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: VCE English Exam - Language Analysis Discussion
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 01:55:59 pm »
Guys so I couldn't remember whether Alexandra was a boys or girls name, and took it as a boys. But I am pretty sure it's more typically a female number, is this an issue???
I don't think it really matters. If you were consistent throughout your essay there shouldn't be a problem.

emilyb4398888

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 02:06:08 pm »
I didn't mention tone at all! I totally blanked about it and don't know if this means I am screwed!
I was happy with all my other analysis, but I forgot to include some really obvious things! (Like style etc)

Am I doomed to a shocking result?

Robert243

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 02:08:14 pm »
Can you still do well if you analysed a lot of the first article ,but didn't get up to the second one.

emilyb4398888

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 02:14:03 pm »
Can you still do well if you analysed a lot of the first article ,but didn't get up to the second one.

It's not exactly ideal, but the whole purpose of the task is to ANALYSE LANGUAGE. As long as you did that, your mark will be okay

RolyPolySpheal

• Adventurer
  • ゴロロゴロロ…/roll roll...
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 02:24:36 pm »
+1
1. Easy, normal, or hard - how difficult did you feel like Language Analysis was this year?
It was fairly average. I didn't quite plan properly and ran slightly over time on my LA (don't worry, I finished everything in the end), so my fourth body paragraph might kill me if my somewhat hodgepodge structure doesn't, but if I'd done what I intended to do in the first place (actually going by Wiley's body paragraphs and finishing with Warwick's), then maybe it could've been better. Oh well, I have no regrets - I did the best that I could in the circumstances I had.
2. What are some of the main things you discussed in your essay?
  • the giant watermelon attraction
  • praise/condemnation of said watermelon attraction through positive/negative connotations (which tends to be one of my go-to techniques)
  • Warwick seems to echo Wiley's style at times
  • it said in the background info that the watermelon was for "the economic future of the town", so I put something of that nature in occasionally.
  • Warwick had an emphasis on the "beauty" of Lawton in order to rebut against Wiley (or maybe it was like that only for me)
  • At the last minute, I threw in the fact the mayor's name is "Wiley" so she might not be too trustworthy when it comes to the Council money, but that was at the 10 minutes to go mark so I could only really imply that at the end of a section about Warwick
By the way, does the name "Warwick" have any significance? Or am I just reading into things too much?
3. What did you say about the image?
I used the fact it was below Warwick's letter to stick it in at one point (although that's not the best argument). Otherwise, I used it for contrast and to analyse how both sides did different things well so if you go down, @Sine, I'm going down with you. (I did analyse Wiley's letter mostly, though, because that's how the thing is laid out.)
4. How do you feel like you went?
I think I did alright...but "alright" for me normally is around the standard of a 30 SS, if not lower...
5. Are you glad it's over?
Of course. I'll never have to deal with another watermelon cartoon again...hopefully. Well, it's not as if my next exam (Biology) will have any watermelon cartoons, right?

@Kimahso, the watermelon wasn't partially eaten; it just had a slice taken out of it to show the inside.
2015 - Further Maths, IT Apps
2016 - English, Global Politics, Biology, Japanese SL, HHD
2017 - IT/Arts, Monash Uni

michael leahcim

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 02:46:48 pm »
Did anyone split their paragraphs like:

-->the community  --> emphasis on article 1 + image 1
-->Tourists; how each piece angled them --> all pieces
-->emphasis on article two; and their differing views on what makes the town; the identity of the town

My thoughts: I think I did well! But obviously, I think I'll just have to wait for the results. My friends didn't do some of the sections (like at all) so I'm worried my sac markings might change haha Honestly I was super calm, but I felt I could've prepared a lot more (only came into the exam having written like 2 and a half essays?). It was fair I reckon.

omesha124

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 03:29:33 pm »
That image really confused me, but I am glad to see that it could be in support of the two other texts.

I interpreted it as being supportive of Warwick's argument that the 'monstrosity' will be an eyesore - the huge sculpture blocks the sun and doesn't do much to help stimulate local business. I noted that the farmer's 'Fresh Watermelons' store was not attracting tourists, and that the watermelon 'landmark' only attracted very few visitors.

Halfway through though my analysis, I started freaking out and thought I was interpreting it wrong since the tourists in the car appeared excited. Overall, the town did look like a clustered mess - so I established that it was against the development of a '20 metre or higher' sculpture.

To be honest, I thought I would do better in section C. I also thought that the exam would be excruciatingly difficult (and weird, since it is the last exam for the study design), but overall it was decent and nothing too shocking.

Also, did anyone else do The Complete Maus for section A?

alyssarusso1

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 03:49:39 pm »
Do you need to get three 10s to be able to get a forty?

moe4babylon

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Parade College
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 03:49:58 pm »
How about the sign that read pop. 3001. The towns population is said to be 300, so at the time I wrote that the cartoonist is encouraging the audience to laught at Alexandra's statistic the one were she says the tourism will increase by 20%.

Idk why but at the time it seemed like a good idea but now I realise population doesn't include tourists. What would be the real reason for writing 3001 and would I lose a lot for that?

angrypotato1

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 03:50:57 pm »

Also, did anyone else do The Complete Maus for section A?

Yep! Prompt 2 was bae. Everything I could ever hope for and more

angrypotato1

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 03:52:13 pm »
Do you need to get three 10s to be able to get a forty?

Heavens no, closer to three 8s

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 03:58:03 pm »
Were we supposed to treat the image as a third piece effectively? I don't think I talked enough about it...  :'( :'( :'(

deshi_C

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 04:01:07 pm »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I'M SO HAPPY ITS OVERRRRRR!!!!!!

1. Easy, normal, or hard - how difficult did you feel like Language Analysis was this year?
I found the language analysis easy. I reckon that was my best section

2. What are some of the main things you discussed in your essay?
Mayor is pretty influential on residents
Warwick hates everyone
The image supports the mayor

3. What did you say about the image?
Pretty much how the landmark will affect the people. More tourists mainly (from image)

4. How do you feel like you went?
Overall, not too shabby

deejay9

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 04:01:24 pm »
How about the sign that read pop. 3001. The towns population is said to be 300, so at the time I wrote that the cartoonist is encouraging the audience to laught at Alexandra's statistic the one were she says the tourism will increase by 20%.

Idk why but at the time it seemed like a good idea but now I realise population doesn't include tourists. What would be the real reason for writing 3001 and would I lose a lot for that?

I wrote something similar, about how the cartoonist was using the "Pop. 3001" to suggest that the giant attraction will barely bring in any new residents. I know the article focused on increasing tourism, but increases in tourism would eventually lead to more residents, so I interpreted the cartoon as essentially saying that a giant watermelon won't inspire more people to live there. I saw some people saying on the VCE Facebook page that the 3001 was supposed to represent the watermelon becoming part of the population, so I guess it can be interpreted both ways.
2015: Legal Studies [46]
2016: English [44] | Psych [43] | Revolutions [48] | Further [46] | Methods [35]
ATAR: 99.0

angrypotato1

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 04:03:37 pm »
Were we supposed to treat the image as a third piece effectively? I don't think I talked enough about it...  :'( :'( :'(

I think you had to say it had its own contention. I believe the cartoonist presented a more balanced view, encouraging the community to consider the results of wiley's plan- both positive and negative.