Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 06:48:02 pm

Author Topic: ATAR/Scaling Questions  (Read 143230 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: ATAR/Scaling Questions
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2016, 07:01:57 pm »
Ok. They did it all this morning

DO you want to see the picture of me emailing them?
No. Privacy issues there

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2016, 07:06:55 pm »
+1
No. Privacy issues there

Ok. Thanks for respecting my privacy

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2016, 08:44:03 pm »
Ok. They did it all this morning

DO you want to see the picture of me emailing them?
It's a copy a paste response to every HSC scaling question.
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2016, 08:47:42 pm »
It's a copy a paste response to every HSC scaling question.

This is true, I just ran it through a plagiarism checker (because I was equally baffled) and 100% of it can be found on UAC's website in pieces (no, I don't have a life apparently) ;) still a good response though! Pretty much the official version of what my article says :)

MysteryMarker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2016, 09:07:38 pm »
Hey guys, I've just read the article and just wanted to make sure that what I've taken from it is what you are trying to actually say.

So for this year's exam in 3U maths, I believe I my mark is around 57-60/70. Now what I want to know is that I am ranked 3rd, but lets say the rest of the students in the top 10 believe that they have achieved a mark of 65+/70. Does this mean that I essentially attain their mark + the BOSTES magical alteration algorithm alterations. Sorry, just both curious and dissappointed at how I went this exam.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2016, 09:14:40 pm »
Hey guys, I've just read the article and just wanted to make sure that what I've taken from it is what you are trying to actually say.

So for this year's exam in 3U maths, I believe I my mark is around 57-60/70. Now what I want to know is that I am ranked 3rd, but lets say the rest of the students in the top 10 believe that they have achieved a mark of 65+/70. Does this mean that I essentially attain their mark + the BOSTES magical alteration algorithm alterations. Sorry, just both curious and dissappointed at how I went this exam.
For the internal component, on a simplified basis yes.

For the external component you keep what you get, which is 57-60/70 pre-alignment and who knows what post-alignment.

Remember that the HSC is weighted between both internals AND externals. Only INTERNALS get affected by moderation.

MysteryMarker

• Forum Regular
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2016, 09:32:12 pm »
For the internal component, on a simplified basis yes.

For the external component you keep what you get, which is 57-60/70 pre-alignment and who knows what post-alignment.

Remember that the HSC is weighted between both internals AND externals. Only INTERNALS get affected by moderation.

Oh ok, that definitely calms the nerves I've had since the nightmare of 3U. Also, not sure if this is too much to ask, but knowing my rank and mark, is it possible for you to estimate whether it is possible for me to attain an E4? If not thats cool, just trying milk out as much as I can  ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:36:57 pm by MysteryMarker »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2016, 09:47:25 pm »
Oh ok, that definitely calms the nerves I've had since the nightmare of 3U. Also, not sure if this is too much to ask, but knowing my rank and mark, is it possible for you to estimate whether it is possible for me to attain an E4? If not thats cool, just trying milk out as much as I can  ;D
Estimates become more reliable with more of the following

- Your raw mark for the exam. (obviously)
- Your rank
- Your trial mark
- Your mark difference from first place

MysteryMarker

• Forum Regular
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2016, 09:51:49 pm »
Estimates become more reliable with more of the following

- Your raw mark for the exam. (obviously)
- Your rank
- Your trial mark
- Your mark difference from first place

Raw mark for the exam: lets just assume worst case scenario 57/70
Trial Mark: 63/70
Mark difference from first place: For HSC I believe he only lost one mark so 12 marks.
My raw mark school assessment mark is 85.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2016, 09:56:34 pm »
Raw mark for the exam: lets just assume worst case scenario 57/70
Trial Mark: 63/70
Mark difference from first place: For HSC I believe he only lost one mark so 12 marks.
My raw mark school assessment mark is 85.
May be a tad off cause when I meant raw mark difference that was for internals, not the final exam

90-94
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:58:39 pm by RuiAce »

MysteryMarker

• Forum Regular
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2016, 10:03:03 pm »
May be a tad off cause when I meant raw mark difference that was for internals, not the final exam

90-94

Shiiiiiieeeeet. Looks like i'm going to bed a happy man today.  ;D Oh and the difference in raw mark of the internals is around 3-4%.

rmdb

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2017, 11:21:17 pm »
Student A gets 60 internally, 83 externally
Student B gets 55 internally, 90 externally

The marks will then become more difficult to quantify, but Student A will receive a mark of 83 for their external mark, and slightly below 90 for their internal mark. Conversely, Student B will get 90 for their external mark, but slightly above 83 for their internal mark. You take your rank, find that rank in the cohort for the external exam, and that is approximately your internal mark. It works exactly the same for a cohort of 1, 2, 80 or 140.

This is incorrect.

The final marks for Student A are 83 exam and 90 assessment; the final marks for Student B are 90 exam and 83 assessment. There is no doubt. This wasn't just flipping the marks around - the ratio of raw marks of an n=2 cohort is used to extrapolate one possible assessment mark for the 2nd ranked student; the other possible mark being the lowest exam mark. In this case, it could be either 82.5 or 83, but since 83 is the highest of the two, that is the assessment mark of Student B.

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2017, 08:34:02 pm »
Thanks guys this is so useful! I've never really understood how this stuff works-but I get it!

Thanks so much,

Mary
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2017, 09:05:33 pm »
If I came 4th in my cohort and got an internal of 78 for example. Then in the HSC I got 40 but the 4th rank was 84. How big of a disparity between 84 would there be to if I got 82? Hope that made sense

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2017, 09:52:56 pm »
If I came 4th in my cohort and got an internal of 78 for example. Then in the HSC I got 40 but the 4th rank was 84. How big of a disparity between 84 would there be to if I got 82? Hope that made sense

Hey! It would depend on the spread in your internal results, because that affects the way moderation works, but 84 would be a decent estimate of your moderated assessment mark in most cases. If we ignore the complexities of moderation and assume your moderated assessment mark was 84, then that would be averaged with your exam mark of 40 and your HSC Mark would be 62. This would be compared to averaging with 82, which would yield a HSC mark of 83 (again, completely dependent on the specifics of moderation, which is dependent on your cohort, but these are solid estimates) :)

That said, an exam mark of 40 could quite possibly trigger alarm bells at NESA (just got a flash of a giant tower with security fences and armed guards, aha)  - There are special procedures students who perform significantly below expectation in the HSC exam. I don't know of any specific documentation regarding this, but it is possible that the normal procedures wouldn't apply to you :)