Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:32:45 am

Author Topic: Winging Extension 1  (Read 1634 times)  Share 

onepunchboy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Concord High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Winging Extension 1
« on: October 16, 2016, 01:31:15 pm »
Hi guys!
Extension 1 math is my worst subject by far out of the 11 units I'm doing and I don't think I'll be able to improve in this short time. Should I wing it and focus on my other subjects. If so will it affect my overall atar because it is my lowest mark single unit and the BOS only includes the top 10?

Thanks!!!

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
Re: Winging Extension 1
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 01:38:27 pm »
+1
Hi guys!
Extension 1 math is my worst subject by far out of the 11 units I'm doing and I don't think I'll be able to improve in this short time. Should I wing it and focus on my other subjects. If so will it affect my overall atar because it is my lowest mark single unit and the BOS only includes the top 10?

Thanks!!!

Hey!

If you've done a subject like extension one all year, chances are you've picked up on a lot, if not all, of the general content you'll be assessed on in your HSC. You might not feel as comfortable with the subject, however to get through the whole year means you're probably actually pretty good at Maths (no matter what you might think). If it's your worst subject by a substantial amount, there is definitely something to be said for cutting your losses and moving on. However, since you do 11 units, I probably wouldn't recommend doing this entirely.

My overall suggestion is to keep doing some past papers, and learn from your mistakes. You'll be surprised by how much you can improve just by doing a past paper every second day or so! Additionally, if you have any specific questions, post them up here. I wouldn't just ignore the subject completely, because you never know how your ATAR will pan out if you're relying on your first 10 units. For all you know, you might actually do pretty well in Extension One, have it scaled nicely, and improve your mark a decent amount.

You can't wing Extension 1. You just can't. Unlike some other HSC subject (ahem English ahem) you can't just walk into the room, bullshit some answers, and get an okay mark out it. You need to put in SOME work, an you'll see some really decent results from that.

My advice: keep studying for it. Don't give up now, so close to the finish line. Good luck my friend
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 06:29:35 pm »
Thanks for this Jake! Feeling in a similar situation. I did TERRIBLY on my Ext. 1 trial, it was the first exam I've ever 'failed' actually, and I was so discouraged by it, but I'm hoping it can redeem it a little bit in the actual exam.
HSC 2016: Adv. English [83] Adv. Maths [89] Physics [80] Chemistry [85] Ancient History [94]
ATAR - 92.70

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 09:03:38 pm »
Thanks for this Jake! Feeling in a similar situation. I did TERRIBLY on my Ext. 1 trial, it was the first exam I've ever 'failed' actually, and I was so discouraged by it, but I'm hoping it can redeem it a little bit in the actual exam.

You absolutely can! Keep smashing out past papers, let us know if you have any specific questions, and I promise you'll do better than you expect.
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW