Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 08:10:23 pm

Author Topic: New Generation courses - transfer to monash if don't get in to postgrad  (Read 2532 times)  Share 

bebobebo

If I don't get into law after completing 3 years of undergrad commerce at melb uni, would monash be likely to allow me entry into law there on account of my commerce qualifications. it seems very stupid to waste 3 years then to find out i cant do law

BA22

Re: New Generation courses - transfer to monash if don't get in to postgrad
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 02:59:40 am »
You wouldn't "transfer" to monash strictly speaking, you would have to apply through VTAC like everyone else and you would complete the degree from the beginning with all the other undergrads. I'd be careful when describing a commerce degree as a waste, haha some people might not take too kindly to that.

But in terms of any preferential standing, you would have none really, they'd ask for the necessary university results. If you're quite happy to do law at monash and consider a stand alone commerce degree as a waste, then why not simply apply to monash first?

Also they have internal, alternative entry schemes if you miss out the first time. Though this is a highly competitive scheme too. Monash has a number of arts students and so forth every year trying to internally transfer to law
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 03:01:37 am by BA22 »

Odette

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 09:12:52 am »
Just wanted to say that anything you learn in life is never a waste of time, it just helps you understand yourself better and helps you to grow and develop as a person... COMMERCE IS NOT A WASTE OF TIME!  lol
Anyways why not apply for law at another university? Or possibly do an arts degree (at monash) then transfer into law?? (That's what my cousin did, worked like a charm for her) =)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 09:16:14 am by Odette »

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 12:29:45 pm »
Monash actually has their own Juris Doctor (or whatever it's called) so you should be able to apply directly to do that instead of doing the LLB. They probably will let you in, as well, as long as you have a good average mark. You might have to do the LSAT too, I'm not sure.

bebobebo

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 02:05:54 pm »
melb uni law is better than monash from what i hear so i'd rather take a stab at getting in there. commerce is not a waste but if my endgame is to study law and I have to complete commerce which is a useful subject, but don't get into law, for me its not entirely useful. i might consider doing the double degree at monash but the melbourne model is going to push the required score at monash right up there to what it was at melb (99.45 or thereabouts) so its hard to plan my life around getting such a high score. the kwong lee dow thing is also some incentive to do it at melbourne. would it make any difference that im doing 2 monash arts units next year as a tertiary subject?

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 02:09:06 pm »
Well, you've always got university pathways, so I guess your preferences should go:

1. Law/Commerce @ Monash
2. Commerce @ Melbourne
3. Commerce @ Monash

For option 2, you'll just have to do well in university and hope you can get into the post-graduate degree (most likely, you shouldn't worry about this too much). If not, then you can always go for Monash's post-graduate degree, or the undergraduate one even.

Option 3 probably wants a transfer to UoM asap, or a transfer to Monash's Law/Commerce.

Edit:
About the art units, it doesn't matter, you just might not be able to get credit for it towards your degree (which is trivial, because you would probably only get 12.5 points of credit -- one subject worth -- which just means you do one subject less than everyone else, and that might actually limit your exploration in your BCom. degree)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 02:15:54 pm by coblin »

bebobebo

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 02:23:02 pm »
I've already spoken to the uni about getting credit for the units. they cant say categorically that ill be able to but i know people who have done so. for any new generation course, 25% of it is done in another field as part of the breadth requirement so 2 units in history will partly satisfy that.