Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:20:17 pm

Author Topic: Best University for Studying Teaching?  (Read 16484 times)  Share 

Brodie

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Best University for Studying Teaching?
« on: December 14, 2007, 01:13:36 pm »
Hi,

Could anyone give me some advice on which is the best University to study Primary Education? I really wanted to go to the University of Melbourne, but after the introduction of the Melbourne Model, I can't say I'm all too pleased with the drop of the Bachelor of Primary Education. I know they say it's supposed to produce better results in the long run to have teachers with a broader knowledge in other subjects, but when I go to University, I want to get straight into studying a teaching degree.

I would prefer to study in Melbourne or at least Victoria, so can anyone offer their opinion? Which is the best Uni for studying teaching? (In Victoria and Australia as a whole). What are your opinions regarding the Melbourne Model? Do you think it would be any better than just studying a Bachelor of Primary Education? Anything else you want to add that might help me?

Thank you very much in advance!

Odette

Re: Best University for Studying Teaching?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 01:29:03 pm »
Hi,

Could anyone give me some advice on which is the best University to study Primary Education? I really wanted to go to the University of Melbourne, but after the introduction of the Melbourne Model, I can't say I'm all too pleased with the drop of the Bachelor of Primary Education. I know they say it's supposed to produce better results in the long run to have teachers with a broader knowledge in other subjects, but when I go to University, I want to get straight into studying a teaching degree.

I would prefer to study in Melbourne or at least Victoria, so can anyone offer their opinion? Which is the best Uni for studying teaching? (In Victoria and Australia as a whole). What are your opinions regarding the Melbourne Model? Do you think it would be any better than just studying a Bachelor of Primary Education? Anything else you want to add that might help me?

Thank you very much in advance!

Firstly welcome to FSN =)
Ok I'm in the same boat kind of, I'll be teaching at secondary level though...
Anyways for primary school teaching Australian Catholic University is one of the best for teaching =)
Well the Melbourne Model will help expand your knowledge, rather than limit it, so that's always a bonus.
Are you sure you want to teach primary? Because you can always do a B'Ed which will allow you to teach Primary and Secondary(Years 7-9)

Hope that helps =)  

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 02:00:46 pm »
I've heard that Deakin is good for teaching. I have no idea how accurate that is though.

Odette

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 02:04:04 pm »
I've heard that Deakin is good for teaching. I have no idea how accurate that is though.

That's a first lol, they do have a few primary school teaching courses =) but i'm not sure about whether or not its good for teaching

brendan

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 02:04:44 pm »
for teaching? does what uni you go to really matter? just do a regular degree and then do a diped

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 02:04:56 pm »
I heard VU (Victoria University) is good for teaching, but I also have no idea about the accuracy of that statement.

Odette

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 02:07:42 pm »
I heard VU (Victoria University) is good for teaching, but I also have no idea about the accuracy of that statement.

Lol, I heard that too, but that was from one of the lecturers at VU :P
But yeah, their B'Ed is pretty good... especially the industry based learning =) You get heaps of practice ...

Oh I heard RMIT is ok too... some teachers I know went there lol =)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 02:18:44 pm by Odette »

Odette

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 02:15:12 pm »
for teaching? does what uni you go to really matter? just do a regular degree and then do a diped

But for primary school teaching, he doesn't need to do a regular degree =)
He's better off doing a B'Ed =) 

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 03:45:13 pm »
Brodie are you sure the melb model means the Bachelor of Primary Education will be dropped?? I could be completely wrong, but i remember a girl asking when i was there, and primary teaching was one of the undergrad courses that they had kept. hm i'll check..

edit: are you in yr 12 this year?? because last intake is 2008 at melb uni for primary teaching.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 03:47:25 pm by goosefraba »

brendan

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 03:46:25 pm »

its better to do a regular degree, "more rounded"

Odette

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 03:51:54 pm »

its better to do a regular degree, "more rounded"

Hmm I guess so, but he could always just do a general bachelor of ed they're pretty good =) especially for primary school teaching

Odette

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 04:15:09 pm »

SilverBullet

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 10:51:48 pm »
Just a random thing I've picked up from my sister if you want to teach in a Catholic School you will need religious accreditation which is via ACU, I think. Just something to consider.
"And I made that connection between hard work and results, performance. I kept pushing myself seeing how far I could improve myself, and knew if I worked hard I would improve." Nathan Buckley

To sort out the confusion: I'm a girl!

Odette

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 11:09:45 pm »
Just a random thing I've picked up from my sister if you want to teach in a Catholic School you will need religious accreditation which is via ACU, I think. Just something to consider.
Yeah that's true =)
That's why I'll do my postgrad at ACU =)