Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:46:41 pm

Author Topic: 4 unit maths questions  (Read 16117 times)  Share 

deeian

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Cabramatta High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
4 unit maths questions
« on: February 29, 2016, 08:44:51 pm »
please help :D

Moderator action: merged multiple questions into the same thread :).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 11:15:04 am by brenden »

deeian

• Adventurer
Re: 4 unit maths questions
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 08:48:12 pm »
help

deeian

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 08:52:39 pm »
help please

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 09:43:58 pm »
A solution to Question 6. I will upload solutions for you with some basic explanations as I get to them over the coming days, and I'm sure Jake will do the same. If any solution doesn't make sense, please let us know so we can go into a little more depth for you!

Disclaimer: I did not do Maths Extension 2. This response is based on my subsequent learnings at University.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:48:34 pm by jamonwindeyer »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 09:53:15 pm »
help please
Deeian, are there any questions here that you needed specific help with? I know you are having trouble with them all, but could you let us know what you've attempted so far? Any specific questions which you started and couldn't finish? Just want to know the best way we can help you, rather than just blindly chugging out solutions to an exam paper  ;D

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 12:03:38 am »

Moderator action: don't post a new thread for a new question, threads merged.

Hi!

Below is the answer to question 7 :)

I'll keep slogging through some other ones!

Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 12:19:24 am »

Moderator action: don't post a new thread for a new question, threads merged.

Below is my response for Q 22. Hope it helps! Let me know if it doesn't make enough sense :)

Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

deeian

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 12:56:46 am »
Below is my response for Q 22. Hope it helps! Let me know if it doesn't make enough sense :)

(Image removed from quote.)

Jake
Hi Jake, could you please explain how you got the asymptote of y=x and how you found the T.P to be x=1, -1?

deeian

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 12:58:11 am »

Jake
For question 20, could you teach me what geometric and arithmetic progression is?

deeian

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 01:04:27 am »
Deeian, are there any questions here that you needed specific help with? I know you are having trouble with them all, but could you let us know what you've attempted so far? Any specific questions which you started and couldn't finish? Just want to know the best way we can help you, rather than just blindly chugging out solutions to an exam paper  ;D
Hi Jamon, this is actually what i can do so far, don't know if they're correct, the blank ones or the ones with large blank space are the ones that i don't understand

deeian

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 01:05:52 am »
this one as well, and this is just what i've done so far, haven't attempted the rest of it, need to go sleep :P, but can you try and send as many solutions as possible, i'll read it tomorrow. By the way, how does a local min being above the y-axis mean that there's only a single solution? and the subbing x=-2, x=-1 into where? the equation from the beginning? and if the answers are negative and positive, does that mean the curve goes from negative to positive, cutting the x-axis, meaning that there's one real root between x=-2, x=-1?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 07:08:12 am »
this one as well, and this is just what i've done so far, haven't attempted the rest of it, need to go sleep :P, but can you try and send as many solutions as possible, i'll read it tomorrow. By the way, how does a local min being above the y-axis mean that there's only a single solution? and the subbing x=-2, x=-1 into where? the equation from the beginning? and if the answers are negative and positive, does that mean the curve goes from negative to positive, cutting the x-axis, meaning that there's one real root between x=-2, x=-1?

It doesn't always mean this, but in this case it does. Examining the graph, we can see that the maximum occurs to the left of the minimum, and above the y-axis. Thus, there is definitely a solution to the left of that maximum, since the curve must cross the x axis to get there. In other words, since the function is continuous and it reaches a maximum value of y>0, it must cross the x axis to get there. Then there is a local minimum, but this occurs above the y axis, so no intersections between the two. Beyond this minimum the curve is increasing, so there is no way it can cut the x-axis. Therefore, one solution.

The rest of your interpretations are correct  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 07:18:29 am »
For question 20, could you teach me what geometric and arithmetic progression is?

I don't think you need Geometric/Arithmetic Progression for that question. It is algebraic manipulation from what I can see, however, a very quick rundown:

Arithmetic progression is where the next term in your series differs from the previous by a common difference. All the terms are an equal distance apart. The formula for the n-th term of an arithmetic progression will take the form:

Where a is the first term, and d is the common difference.

A geometric progression is where the next term in your series differs from the previous by a common multiple. We multiply each term by some fixed common ratio, to get the next term. The formula for n-th term of an arithmetic progression will take the form:

Where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.

There is more detail over on the 2U threads if required!  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 09:27:26 am »
+1
Ive examine your working for the first few questions and popped some comments and fixes below  :D Jake and I do not want to do the entire paper for you, that isn't helpful. Fair enough for an odd question here or there, but a whole paper like this is an important learning exercise for you. Give the rest of the paper a shot and let us know how you go, if you are totally stumped by a question,we will give you some direction and guidance. But it is very important that you are attempting the questions yourself, and there are a few questions later in the paper that are similar to what you or we have already covered. Give it a go! You might be surprised with yourself!  ;D

Let me know if anything here doesn't make sense. You are a 4 Unit student and so I move a little faster with my proofs, but let me know if you need more detail anywhere!  :D

deeian

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 09:49:55 am »
Ive examine your working for the first few questions and popped some comments and fixes below  :D Jake and I do not want to do the entire paper for you, that isn't helpful. Fair enough for an odd question here or there, but a whole paper like this is an important learning exercise for you. Give the rest of the paper a shot and let us know how you go, if you are totally stumped by a question,we will give you some direction and guidance. But it is very important that you are attempting the questions yourself, and there are a few questions later in the paper that are similar to what you or we have already covered. Give it a go! You might be surprised with yourself!  ;D

Let me know if anything here doesn't make sense. You are a 4 Unit student and so I move a little faster with my proofs, but let me know if you need more detail anywhere!  :D

how do you sketch h(root x) for question 5?