Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:19:54 am

Author Topic: Free AOS essay Marking!  (Read 181222 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
Re: Free AOS essay Marking!
« Reply #180 on: August 19, 2016, 03:36:10 pm »
I've attached my discovery essay. Thanks for doing this  :)

Hey Znaser! You've had a creative marked way back in March, and since then our policy has changed to say that for each piece marked, you need 15 ATAR Notes posts. So make 30 ATAR Notes posts, and then you can have two essays or creatives marked! However, I know you've been working really hard on your English subject lately, so I'm going to give some thoughts about your introduction :)

Discoveries unveil inconceivable This word is sticking out to me. I think i know what you're intending, are you intending to say that discoveries unveil what was once inconceivable, but is now so clear and apparent post-discovery. Re-consider the wording :)outlooks of one’s self and the external world, catalysing re-evaluation of values and perceptual viewpoints. Really clear! Great job.This evolutionary I spoke about an evolutionary process in my own essay too, I think it's a great idea!process is prompted by fresh experiences where wonder and awe, evoked as a result thereof, develop into a pursuit of further revelations. Yessss!William Shakespeare’s play The Tempest (1610) incarcerates its characters to an island, a microcosm of society. This physical discovery necessitates other epiphanies, actuating reappraisal of vindictive endeavours and self-identification.  William Shakespeare's play The Tempest (1610) actuates reappraisal of vindictive endeavours of self-identification through the physical discovery of..." I tend to think that inverting this sentence a bit puts the most important parts first. Currently, you get to the best stuff at the end. Prioritise your best analysis and ideas. Darius Simpson and Scout Bostley’s spoken word poem Lost Voices (2015) epitomises the significance of discovering cultural actualities in re-shaping one’s identity. Discoveries necessitate opportunities to reach formerly unattainable heights of insight and hence, culminate in introspection and revision of principles. Wonderful introduction! You really have aced the structure. You've very clear got an amazing grasp on the idea that this should be a discovery driven essay! Keep it up! :) A marker will be super impressed after reading this.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
« Reply #181 on: August 19, 2016, 07:53:38 pm »
Hey znaser!! Little confusion on the policy above sorry, but you do have enough posts to get the whole thing marked!! I'll take a look at the rest later this evening! ;D enjoy the feedback on your intro in the meantime :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #182 on: August 20, 2016, 10:43:55 am »
I've attached my discovery essay. Thanks for doing this  :)

I'm so sorry...I messed up! Anyway, onwards with the essay marking! See the above comment for the introduction :)

In the spoiler!
Spoiler
The process of discoveries, whether inadvertent or orchestrated, Awesome work! I love that you've changed the planned/unplanned to inadvertent or orchestrated. What's also great, is that these are perfect synonyms. They aren't a "kind of synonym" that doesn't really express the idea well. They are perfect synonyms! (PS. I think this is the first time I've seen a perfect synonym for planned and unplanned in an essay!) entail unforeseeable ramifications that challenge and renew preconceived ideals pertaining to humanity. Shakespeare’s The Tempest exemplifies this through Prospero’s methodical passage of discovery, instigated by fortuitous rediscovery of his past. Amazing!His rekindled indignation of the venomous usurpation of his dukedom by Antonio, as a result thereof, illustrated by vivid tactile imagery in his metaphor, “The ivy which had hid my princely trunk, /And sucked my verdure out on’t”, translates into a “tempest”. This storm is thus allegorical for his inner turmoil, concocted to perpetrate “Ling’ring perdition – worse than any death/Can be at once” and hence, assuage his enmity toward his adversaries through their anguish, as conveyed by Ariel’s sadistic tone. However, as Prospero navigates through the anarchic recesses of his inner world, simulated by the perverted external reality, he uncovers the fallaciousness of his vindictive pursuit. This collision of the imagined and physical landscape of the island hence accentuates the complex possibilities the human mind encapsulates, provoking responders to contemplate the interplay between reality and moral judgements of conscience. In the sentence just past, I was hoping for the end part to be about discovery. Perhaps prompting the responder to discover the interplay, or something to that effect. Your sentence is brilliant, it makes perfect sense. But, it has been several sentences since we last linked back to discovery. Although it does make sense once you finish the paragraph, if you can weave discovery in there at the half way point, you prove to the markers that you aren't just topping and tailing your paragraphs. So I essentially mean, if you can bring this section back to discovery, that's great. But, if you find it awkward or as though it doesn't flow - then don't do it, it isn't worth risking your perfect flow, especially when the end of the paragraph rounds off discovery well. Ariel’s merciful intercession astounds Prospero, manifested in his rhetorical question, “…relish all as sharply/Passion as they be kindlier move than thou art?”, evoking introspection of his unavailing vengeance. In consequence, Prospero re-evaluates his perception of “The rarer action” and rediscovers the redemptive power of forgiveness, emphasised by his antithesis between "Antithesis of" works better, but to be most correct, I'd change this part to..."emphasised by the antitethical pairing of virtue and vengeance at play in The Tempest/the situation/Prospero's life." Something is the antithesis to another thing. You don't necessarily have an antithesis 'between.' An antithesis is an exact opposite, there kind of is no in between. Hence, I'm suggesting an adjustment so that this flows wonderfully :) “virtue” and “vengeance”. This unforeseen outcome propels Prospero to unveil the illusion of pragmatism manifested in his omnipotent power and hence abjure it, “I’ll break my staff, /Bury it certain fathoms in the earth, /And deeper than did ever plummet sound” as depicted by his hyperbolic statement. Thus, Prospero’s process of discovery clears his inner turmoil by transfiguring his resent to mercy rather than indulging in the former, as he envisaged. Just to make this paragraph PERFECT - I'd like to see it brought back to the planned/unplanned idea that you sewed at the start. Your paragraph hints to this throughout, but just really clearly making a "thus..." statement, that ties the concept with the text, makes your argument wholistic!

Comparatively, inadvertent experiences challenge and renew preconceived notions pertaining to activism, fostering the persona’s process of discovery in Lost Voices. In the opening of the poem, Simpson, an African American man, and Bostley, a white woman, are reticent to recount their individual discoveries. They, instead, interchange microphones and speak on one another’s behalf, whilst mouthing their own revelations. Bostley is initially irresolute towards the efficacy of her feminist voice in alleviating sexual abuse, conveyed by Simpson’s vacillating enunciation, “I battle between wanting my own body and accepting that there is a one in four chance a man will lay claim to my skin – a plot of land for the taking.” His dehumanising metaphor further accentuates Bostley’s predominant feeling of helplessness, hindering growth of her assertiveness. Similarly, Prospero’s pre-eminent resent hindered development of his bygone forgiving nature, awakened by Ariel’s unanticipated humane intercession. Yes! Great link!In contrast, the persona’s unforeseen encounters with feigned sympathisers provoked awakening of her vehement stance, “It is not a problem you want to sympathise but to tell me you know my pain, is to stab yourself in the leg because you saw me get shot,” epitomised by Simpson’s hyperbolic analogy. Love a double-barrelled technique! Hyperbolic analogy...amazing!This impels Bostley to re-assess her despairing perceptions where interchanging microphones back, towards the poem’s end, symbolises reclamation of her personal narrative as a result thereof. Bostley’s epiphany of the imperativeness of voicing feminine struggles is further highlighted in her anaphoric proclamation, “I fight so my voice can be heard. I fight for the voices you silence all in the name of what is right.” Second-person language directly emphasises Bostley’s transformation of ideals, like Prospero, ensuing her discovery process to audiences and hence, elevated voice, opposed to Prospero’s augmented mercy. What makes this paragraph so cool is that you draw comparisons between the two texts. That shows your confidence with the texts and the module.

Fresh and intensely meaningful revelations entail inquisitive responses, catalysing further discoveries to facilitate self-insight and growth. This links to your intro well!Shakespeare’s The Tempest epitomises this through Miranda, the embodiment of wonder and naivety, raised isolated in a “cell” in a world of her own. Untainted by outside civilisation, her imaginative capacities are bounded by a narrow worldview where “More to know/Did never meddle with my thoughts,” characterising her as ingenuous. Miranda, thus, personifies the state preceding a discovery, impressionable by fresh experiences. Rediscovery of her past beyond recall astounds Miranda, conveyed by her impassioned tone in her exclamation, “O the heavens!” evoking her inquisitiveness for further revelations. This necessitated her stream of questions, “What foul play had we, that we came from thence? …Wherefore did they not/That hour destroy us?... How came we ashore?” conveying Miranda’s broadened enlightenment of her identity and the outer world, impelling expansion of her mindset for unwonted possibilities.  Miranda’s evolution is furthered upon discovery of love in Ferdinand, arousing her sexual awakening and assertive disposition that were formerly obscured. These far-reaching impacts on her identity and emotional maturity are accentuated by enjambment of her avowal, “I would not wish/Any companion in the world but you …But I prattle/Something too wildly, and my father’s precepts/I therein do forget,” where her self-perception is reshaped as a result thereof. Although Prospero unveils “The fringed curtains of thine [Miranda’s] eye” to her aristocratic heritage and romance, dramatic irony in her assertion, “O wonder! /How many goodly creatures are there here! /How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world/That has such people in’t!” depicts her prevailing naivety to responders nonetheless. Thus, while Miranda’s process of discovery opened her world to new possibilities, the evolution of her consciousness to the complex nature of humankind still remains in the inceptive phase. This is probably my favourite paragraph so far because it is packed full with all kinds of great techniques and analysis. Also, you link back perfectly at the beginning and end most notably, to your introductory thesis! Go you!

Fresh and intensely meaningful revelations are also a platform for discovery in Lost Voices. In contrast to Miranda’s rediscovery of her past, Simpson’s confronting experience “in second grade” where, “At recess, all the white kids chased me into the woods chanting slave” evoked consciousness of his racial identity, accentuated by Bostley’s vivid visual and auditory imagery. Discovery of preceding licit relegation and lynching of African Americans impelled the persona to “refuse(d) to come out [of the woods] for three hours” where Bostley’s anecdotal recount, “My mother… thinks I was lost in the trees, but I just needed to be closer to my roots,” conveys Simpson’s inceptive development of his cultural connection as a result thereof. This unforeseen outcome unveiled Perhaps, "allowed the reader to discover the..." I'm not sure, this is up to you, but I'm just looking for ways to tie the discovery into the middle of your paragraph a bit more.the struggle ethnic minorities endured against intolerance of difference to the persona, as opposed to Miranda’s unanticipated stream of questions uncovering her noble heritage. In consequence, he became able to contextualise derogatory remarks as xenophobic, “I felt the words shoot daggers into my melanin,” epitomised by tactile imagery in Bostley’s metaphor. BOOM! Tactile imagery in a metaphor. Woo!This provoked Simpson to discover that his, and the broader African American community’s, voicelessness augments bigotry within society. He is thus impelled to interchange microphones back towards the poem’s end, where he alliteratively retaliates, “I am black and beautiful by nature, ain't no income that can change that,” epitomising his newfound voice to silence prejudiced individuals and empower African American responders to also discover their voice. Thus, the unveiling of his racial identity and renewal of societal perceptions, catalysed Simpson’s discovery process and, contrary to Miranda, his evolution in ideals transcended the superficial phase.

Ultimately, fresh experiences entail a chain of revelations, evoking introspection and re-evaluation of values and perceptual viewpoints of one’s self and the external world. Shakespeare’s The Tempest positions responders to chronologically observe the characters’ discoveries as they occur at first hand whereas Simpson and Bostley’s Lost Voices abridge their discovery process, enabling the ramifications to be tangible and hence, pronounced to audiences. In spite of their disparate textual forms, both texts explore the transformative impact of the discovery process at heart.

I'm happy to say that I'd definitely give this a band 6!
You show such confidence in your work, the way that you weave ideas about discovery into one another is really, really cool. You've got a lot of sections from the rubric working together at once, and boy oh boy, it does work well!

My only major suggestion is about the way you structure your paragraphs when focusing on discovery. You explicitly talk about discovery in the opening and closing of each paragraph, and then allude to it throughout. I think the next way to enhance your work is to focus on bringing discovery into the body of the body paragraphs. I've suggested a few ways above. If it just doesn't fit and it feels terribly awkward, your work is good enough to stand without it. But if you want to really just seal the deal, and leave no question about discovery to the marker, then I suggest you approach it like this :) So, typically your first two sentences, and the last sentence, in a paragraph deal with discovery explicitly. Great! The sentences between are full of analysis that build up the scene for discovery. Go back and look through your work, and kind of do a refresh half way through. So half way through your paragraph, have a look to see where you can make a clear tie back to discovery, before continuing on with your analysis, and then tie it all together in the conclusion. I suggested some options above to kind of explain what I mean. But, it is important you know, that this is band 6 worthy even without that. I'm only suggesting this small structural change to kind of make it unquestionable that the band 6 is where you deserve to be, you know?

Let me know if you have any questions! I'm super sorry again for messing up the marking policy, oopsy :) You should be stoked by this work!

znaser

• Trailblazer
  • School: Malek Fahd Islamic School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #183 on: August 20, 2016, 01:18:21 pm »
Thanks Elise! Nws all good  ;D

tahmina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #184 on: August 28, 2016, 08:23:37 pm »
hey guys, can someone have a look at my dis essay ! was able to achieve 11/15 in trials however there were no feedback as to how i can move up into the A' range ? any help ??

it is not set on any particularly question ? i just did it on discovery in general! so don't mind the intro -

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #185 on: August 29, 2016, 10:51:38 am »
hey guys, can someone have a look at my dis essay ! was able to achieve 11/15 in trials however there were no feedback as to how i can move up into the A' range ? any help ??

it is not set on any particularly question ? i just did it on discovery in general! so don't mind the intro -

In the first paragraph, I think there could've been another word instead of 'discoverer'

In the second paragraph, instead of saying negative word, I think it would've been more appropriate to use 'negative connotations'. I don't think you were being clear enough when you mentioned 'gwen's angry nature'. speculate about future possibilities-what specifically? Gow confidently evaluates their hidden emotions towards each other- what sort of emotions? Thus it is clear Gows effective techniques explore the notion of relationships challenging and renewing perceptions of others and ourselves - were you being explicit on this, how does this relate to your thesis statement?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #186 on: August 30, 2016, 10:34:02 am »

Sure! Hopefully I can give some helpful pointers :)

Spoiler
One cannot experience a discovery without being transformed by its ramifications. I have to say, I disagree with this statement. Technically, as long as you can back this up with your texts in a profound way, there is no issue. But, I think that it would read better as, "An individual is most likely to experience the ramifications of discovery in a way that transforms them/their perspectives." Just that slightly lower modality eases the reader into your work more, in my opinion! Ask what your teacher thinks of this. The impact of discoveries, whatever "regardless of their form..."aspect or shape they make take, will undoubtedly transform the discoverer and consequently the wider society around them. Australian playwright, comma Michael Gow’s ‘Away’ and Joshua Weigel's short film ‘The Butterfly Circus’ explore the transformative and revelatory I like this!nature of discovery. These texts explore the underlying nature of self-discovery, and how it has a transformative effect on individuals, ultimately leading to a greater depth of self-awareness and empathy towards members of the wider society.  I think the transformative approach is really strong here, so as long as you infuse this with the essay question it will work wonderfully I think!

The transformative nature of self-discovery is demonstrated through the mending of physical relationships, through reconciliation and communication. In Gow’s play the negative word “hate” Rather than identifying it as a negative word, perhaps, suggest it has negative connotations instead.used so frequently by Gwen depicts angry nature at the start of the play, further implying to her unawareness of her own self at that time. Gow alerts the audience to Gwen’s assumptions about the wider society through the first person pronoun ‘I’ juxtaposed with the noun ‘people’. Gow’s anaphoric and truncated sentence Yesss anaphoric and truncated! Awesome!‘it was money, it was bread, work’ emphasizes emphasises* (American English)their harsh reality of their past, Gow effectively shows their "Their" doesn't make complete sense here - you are implying that the characters have a transformative nature. Perhaps do you mean the transformative nature of discovery, or the transformED nature compared their their past?transformative nature compared to their past, successfully enabling us to speculate about future possibilities. Gow’s use of personal pronoun of ‘us’ in ‘for all of us’ reaffirms Gwen’s spiritual connection with her family, as Gow confidently evaluates their hidden emotions towards each other. This enables the audience to realise the importance of communication when re-discovering themselves to renew perceptions of others and themselves. Gow’s effective use of irony through the negative connotation words such as ‘snide’ and ‘rude’ depicts Gwen’s behaviour, and lack of personal insight, highlighting the dangers of self-delusion and adherence to false values. The irony puts the audience in an uncomfortable place as they witness her rudeness to her daughter. This also allows us to see the process of challenges and curiosity, which affect a person’s self-discovery. Thus it is clear Gow's effective techniques explore the notion of relationships challenging and renewing perceptions of others and ourselves.

Many discoveries made by individuals are sudden and unexpected. This instigates the process of self-reflection and awareness in both texts. In Gows play ‘away’ the use of exaggeration in the negative connotation I'm not sure that there are negative connotations to burst? Perhaps expand on this a little. To me, I think of a bubble bursting. Try flip your words around a bit perhaps to explain why burst has negative connotations. I'd suggest that burst has connotations of change, or renewal.‘burst’ in “my heads about to burst” is reminiscent of the first steps to Gwen’s self-discovery and re-discovering something that has been lost. Gows explicitness I think this needs expanding on as well. How exactly is Gow explicit? The head isn't literally going to burst unless there was a bomb or something inside. Literality and explicitness aren't the same, but it is what I'm taking you're implying. through the negative connotation allows the audience to see the heartfelt emotions, which deepens the understanding of the concept of discovery. Through the end of the play, Gows use of soft alliteration in the repetition of ‘come down to the water, the water is so warm’ conveys Gwen’s nurturing attitude towards her relationships. The symbolism of the water connects the motif of water to the process of her self-discovery, thus being reflective of cleansing and healing the soul. Wonderful!Through this the audience is able to see the nature of unexpected discoveries and the distinguishing factors, which lead to a person's self-discovery. Similarly the butterfly circus the visual imagery Consider rephrasing this? I think you need a verb in here. of the butterfly creates an illusion Also not sure about this as well. It might make sense when the first part of the sentence is adjusted, but right now I'm not sure how this creates an illusion rather than perhaps a metaphor? If the butterflies represent the positive and spiritual changes, I think I'd talk about the connotations of renewal associated with a butterfly's life cycle and how this is a metaphor for the changes prompted by discovery. of the positive and spiritual change that renews Will’s perceptions of life. Weigel’s juxtaposed symbolism of the? long shot of the road suggests a journey to a new life. This effectively compels his inability to make physical change and to re-discover his strengths. The change of lighting compelled on Will with the contrast of light to dark, reinforces the darkness in his life. Weigel successfully conveys to the audience the positive internal change, rather than the external change to create hope in ones life. The frequent change in diegetic music becomes confronting when the community ‘mocks’ Will for his disability. Awesome! Really good. The close up shot of Mendez’s face is provocative as he is disgusted by the reaction of the community juxtaposed with the close up of Wills face evaluates the tangible nature of his heartfelt emotions. Mendez becomes a character that helps Will overcome his fears and to ‘follow his dreams’, the long shot of the circus gives a clear indication of Wills self-discovery leading to new worlds and values. Through the effectiveness of both composers techniques it is clear self-discovery can be sudden and unexpected.

One’s discovery can vary according to the different personal and social contexts, which the individual is able to experience. In ‘Away” the storm at the wilderness beach symbolizes symbolises* (American English)the negative attitude and possessions being washed away, the family’s isolation on the beach prompts introspection and questioning of their previous relationships. Gows driven symbolism allows the audience to take on new experiences and explore new discoveries within themselves. The effective symbolism of the Fire, revolving around the fire camp depicts a new start as their past has been washed away. This enhances the audience's understanding of the ramifications and that change is a progress, which leads to new discoveries. Gows symbolism of ‘Burnt” acknowledges their renewal perceptions of themselves and others. Similarly in ‘The butterfly Circus’ Weigel’s flashback establishes each character's personal discovery and their inability of transforming being washed away. Thus he/she effectively portrays their transformative self-nature compared to there past. The symbolism of the water represents the cleansing rebirth to will's transformation, effectively conveying the physical and emotional self-discovery he has accomplished. Weigel explicitly conveys meaning and heartfelt emotions through the voyage of the symbolism of the water to deepen the human understanding of physical discovery through challenges and reconciliation. Thus it is clear to re-discover yourself you are to challenge and affirm your human experiences in order to transform.

Discovery can encompass the experience of discovering something, which will impact themselves Suggest "individuals" rather than themselves, because we haven't identified the noun that is "themselves" yet in this piece.and the wider society. The low modality works well here I think!Through the authentic techniques used by both director and playwright highlights the human nature of reality and the ramifications, which differ from different perspectives. They underline the notion of discovery to stimulate a profound response upon the audience whilst portraying the notion of ramifications.

I have a few suggestions, and although they don't necessarily add up to a mark gained in themselves individually, together they will improve the cohesiveness of your response.

Firstly, make sure that your computer/Word is set to English (Australia) - there are a few spellings in here that are American. Ensure that you use possessive apostrophes every time a noun owns something. So, Gow owns their use of metaphor, so it becomes "Gow's use of metaphor." The possessive apostrophe is missing, and it comes up with a little squiggly line on my screen to suggest that I change it, so yours is likely to as well. I also suggest going through your essay with a fine tooth comb. When I wrote my own AOS essay, I went through and adjusted it time after time without actually truly going through and editing it properly, I kind of just kept adding to it over and over. So, I had to do the same thing as I suggest you do. Go through each and every sentence and consider your phrasing. Use the active voice more, where the noun carries the verb. "Gow manipulated the metaphor to..." is an example of the active voice. Ensure that the noun is correctly placed and formed (with the possessive apostrophe if required). A few times it appears that a word or two is missing (I've commented where), which might just mean that you need to revise each sentence to make sure it is accurately formed. Also, make sure that you clearly identify which text you are discussing. Because your paragraphs are integrated wonderfully, you make such a seamless transition between texts, that you might just need to identify the text you are discussing more clearly, just to ensure the reader is following your argument.

In terms of discovery, you've espoused a really good thesis statement. It sits strong, and it should work for you well. I've suggested a place where you could relate to discovery more, but I suggest that you keep in mind the discovery at the forefront of each sentence. Here's a hypothetical structure of a sentence or sentence pairing: "The author uses the technique ***** in the excerpt, "******" to connote feelings of renewal in the reader, thus representing the transformative nature of discovery." Of course, you can break this up into two sentence if you like. Essentially, it is important that you constantly bring back to discovery.

In all, this is a very good essay. Your analysis is totally up there, it just comes down to your expression now. I've suggested a few ways of rephrasing your sentences in order to convey your message in more effective terms, so consider applying that to all sections of your essay as you deem appropriate. I know this is a lot to take in because it's not a simple fix like "Change your thesis statement." Instead it is a number of small things that add up to create an overall cohesiveness, which markers look for. If you have any questions, please ask! The grammar stuff definitely can be confusing when it involves going back and editing. All the best! :)

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #187 on: August 30, 2016, 02:25:49 pm »
Hey guys, i have a template discovery essay which ive been using to try answer various discovery essays, and was wondering if someone could give me feedback if i answered it correctly and to a high band5 extent

Thanks

* I think i've reached the 15 post minimum ( unless drafts sent before the minimum was enforced don't count as posts )
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #188 on: August 30, 2016, 02:41:16 pm »
Hey guys, i have a template discovery essay which ive been using to try answer various discovery essays, and was wondering if someone could give me feedback if i answered it correctly and to a high band5 extent

Thanks

* I think i've reached the 15 post minimum ( unless drafts sent before the minimum was enforced don't count as posts )

You are all sweet Deng, on the list ;)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #189 on: August 31, 2016, 09:53:50 am »

Thanks

Hey Deng!

Your essay is in the spoiler here with my comments in bold throughout:
Spoiler
The process of discovery involves uncovering what is hidden and reconsidering what is known

Discovery and its process I'd reconsider this wording. The reason being, you are separating discovery and the process of discovery as two separate entities, without actually identifying what a discovery in itself is. Perhaps you are better off saying "The process of discovery..." or "The process of discovery, and the ramifications of discovery..."is primarily the instance of discovering what is concealed and forgotten leading to transformative change. Looking at your thesis statement overall, I'd approach it differently. You've distinguished discovery as separate from its process, and then used the word discovering later on. The wording is just a bit chunky. Consider, "The process of discovery often prompts a transformation in an individual after realising/accepting/uncovering/etc what is concealed or forgotten." The extent of transformative change within an individual is shaped by an individual’s own willingness to embrace the process leading to new attitudes and values. Discovery in “ Go Back To Where You Came From” By Ivan O’Mahoney stems from the vicarious experience of being confronted with the reality of refugee migrants and the subsequence transformative change in the participants perceptions. To me, you're suggesting that the reader is taking on this vicarious discovery. Is this your intention? Or do you in fact mean that the participants emulate the route of refugees, thus discovering? Essentially, the word "vicarious" is what suggests that I, as a viewer, will go through the transformation. Discoveries may also be planned and unexpected as seen in Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad where Marlow is confronted by the innate darkness of both the heart and land, leading to new perspectives. Thus, the process of discovery can be seen to involve uncovering what is hidden and reconsidering what is known. Good ending!

The process of discovery can allow for emotionally challenging experiences leading  to new perspectives. Love this!O’ Mahoney’s “Go Back To Where You Came From (Episode 1)” introduces each participant through indirect interviews and cut scenes to reveal their political stance on the issues of refugee migrants. Raye’s experiences in the documentary can be juxtaposed with her original perspective “serve you bastards right” versus her new perspective post Malaysian raid, where she observes of those fleeing war, that she doesn't/b]"call that criminal”. Punctuation inside the quotation marks. The use of close ups, action music and various camera angles help convey the concealed Seamless integration!nature of discovery where the change in Raye’s perspective demonstrates the process of discovery and how uncovering what is hidden alters her own opinion and offers a new perspective. Likewise, Adam is seen to undergo significant transformative change This is a little tautologous. Consider, "undergo a significant transformation" as a consequence of the concealed nature of his discovery. The planned journey in Episode 1 reveals Adam’s opinion where “ we are spending millions of dollars housing these criminals” which is contrasted with his opinion in Episode 4 “ the people who touched me the most was at the ASF Hospital” . The categorisation of refugees from criminals to people within his speech demonstrates that the process of discovery requires an individual to uncover what is hidden. Through the use of high to low camera angles to capture the shift in Adam’s opinions, the documentary demonstrates the process of Adam’s discovery of uncovering the reality of refugee migrants fostering transformative change. Thus, the process of discovery can be seen to require an individual to consider what is hidden. You've done really well here! My only suggestion is using the words of your new thesis a bit more. You've started the paragraph talking about perspectives, and continuing that word a little more will just tie the piece together I think! You've done an awesome job at talking about concealed/hidden.

Invigorating new experiences can lead to powerful insight into what is hidden becoming the impetus for meaningful change within one self. Marlow in “Heart of Darkness” is seen throughout the novella experiencing confronting and provocative discoveries within Africa leading to new perspective. “Shocking disgust of colonisation, to tear treasure out of the bowels of the land was their desire, with no moral purpose at the back of it than there is in burglars breaking into a safe” Conrad uses an anthropormophication to describe the intentions of White Settlers in Africa, where the comparison highlights the immoral actions and consequently reveals to Marlow the true intentions of Imperialism. Through the confronting and provocative nature of the discovery of man’s inner desire for greed and materialism, Marlow’s acknowledgement and resilience becomes a catalyst for change within himself. This is exemplified through “Africa had ceased to be a delightful blank space of delightful mystery – a white patch for a boy to dream gloriously over. It had become a place of darkness”. Conrad uses an analogy to highlight Marlow’s experiences within Africa provided a glimpse into the stark reality of Africa. Consequently, the discoveries witnessed by Marlow allow him to uncover what is hidden leading to new perspectives within an individual character similar to that of Go Back To Where You Came From. You have no problem with integrating text, quote, technique and analysis. It's really really good! However, you haven't said discovery here at all except for the last little bit. You've danced around discovery, so I see it! But, I think that maybe just switching some words up so that you clearly identify discovery is your aim here, or, add a sentence earlier on in the paragraph to talk about how it was the foundation for discovery, perhaps, sounds like it could be really beneficial to just bringing it in that little bit more.

By reconsidering what is known the responder are responders are or responder is - take your pick :)able to develop renewed values and acceptance towards the issue. Within “Go Back To Where You Came From”, Raye is seen to accept the confronting reality of refugee’s and consequently accepting the reasons for why they go on a boat Just being picky, I think this diminishes the journey on a boat. "They go on a boat." Consider, "accepting the motives for someone to take a journey by boat to seek asylum.". By reconsidering I'd explain who Dao is, just with a quick description of his place/connection, no more than 7 words maybe. Dao’s words “ it certainly isn’t living” in Kakuma, where the producers play am montage with a voiceover of melodramatic music to help extend Raye’s reflection onto responders. Furthermore, the montage consists of a series of images attempting to evoke sympathy and reason within both participants and audience. Thus, it is clear that Raye has underwent significant transformative change of character throughout the documentary, where emotional, spiritual and physical discoveries have helped her reconsider what is known to renew her perspective. Likewise, Roderick can be seen reflecting in Kuwait, after donating a significant amount of money. A mise-en-scene of women dancing and singing “no more rape” offers responders a sense of hope and relief. However, Roderick’s cynicism dashes the positivity in an aside where he elucidates his renewed attitudes and values believing the crux of the issue must be fixed internally, not through donations. Thus, the process of discovery reveals the necessity to reconsider what is known which consequently allows individuals to develop renewed perspectives. Awesome!

An individual’s ability to gain new eyes for an old world steams from embodying the lessons that were catalysed by their discoveries. Like Raye and Darren, Marlow comes to accept his provocative discoveries allowing him to reconsider his old perspective on Africa. Marlow acknowledges that the truth had been deliberately lost and man is combining both their principles and beliefs together to formulate a new savage societal paradigm within Africa. Through the use of an epistemological metaphor for knowledge “ The mind of man is capable of anything/let the fool gap and shudder/but truth – truth is stripped of its cloak of time/ the man knows, and can look on without a wink” demonstrate Marlow’s acceptance of the spiritual connection between the heart and mind of man through reconsidering his discoveries. Marlow’s growth as an individual is again intensified through his experiences and perspectives of Africa, where he comes to terms with the provoking spiritual discoveries of mankind. “I’ve seen the devil of violence, the devil of greed, the devil of hot desire” reflecting Marlow’s changed perspectives. Conrad uses an anecdote and metaphor of his encounters provides Marlow with the opportunity to reconsider his perspectives of humanity. Consequently, discoveries offer the ability for an individual to grow and change their sense of self as a result of reconsidering what is known.

Thus, the process of discovery demonstrates the ability to create meaningful impact through uncovering what is hidden and reconsidering what is known leading to renewed perspectives. This conclusion isn't quite long enough. I always aimed for four sentences in my conclusion. It could be a structure like this:
-Sentence about discovery
-Sentence about prescribed text (link to discovery)
-Sentence about ORT (link to discovery)
-Encompassing sentence, that either links to the question, or your own take on discovery.

You've done an awesome job here. The way that you link quote, technique, and analysis together is sooooo good. It's now just about elevating the original thesis statement, introduction and conclusion I think! I usually make a big comment down the end here if there's some structural things to look at. But, realistically there isn't for your essay, and it's just about going back and seeing how everything is written, and seeing if you think it communicates your idea as best as you want! Let me know if you have any questions :)

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #190 on: August 31, 2016, 11:17:10 pm »
Thanks Elyse, i am just wondering since this was like a generic discovery essay i moulded into the question how would i create new thesis' on the spot, thats what i seem to be having trouble with the most and a conclusion

Thanks again!
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #191 on: September 01, 2016, 10:23:12 am »
Thanks Elyse, i am just wondering since this was like a generic discovery essay i moulded into the question how would i create new thesis' on the spot, thats what i seem to be having trouble with the most and a conclusion

Thanks again!

I see what you mean! But you've actually got a lot of thesis material in your introduction right now. You answer the question posted at the top of the comment, so that's cool. But you also introduce the idea of discoveries being transformative, and also discoveries being unplanned. So you've got the ground work for making a great thesis.
So, I'd kind of go in with a semi prepared one rather than making it up on the spot. Offer yourself some flexibility, but plan it enough that you take out the panic in the exam. So, perhaps go in with a thesis that says something about the transformative nature of discovery. Then you've already got the planned/unplanned nature sitting later in your introduction to bring forward too if you need. AND, you'll have the essay question to also give you some direction. Does that sound like it would work with your style?

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2016, 05:15:54 pm »
In the AOS essay, is it necessary to talk about context at all?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2016, 05:29:55 pm »
In the AOS essay, is it necessary to talk about context at all?

Hey conic! Not mandatory, but it can enhance your argument, so it's up to you! You can definitely get 15/15 without it ;D

EmileeSmith

• Forum Regular
« Reply #194 on: September 15, 2016, 08:55:39 pm »
hiii will you be able to mark my AOS essay please
yet again I didn't go so well in the trials and I need extensive detailed feedback
1. do I have enough quotes/techniques
2. does it make sense
3. does it flow

please help thank you!!!

PS oh sorry that post is meant to have 1 attachment, Im not sure how to edit attachments,  they are both the same, sorry :)

Moderator Edit: Merged Posts
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:17:36 am by jamonwindeyer »