Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:32:51 am

Author Topic: monash vs rmit compsci/software engineering  (Read 6747 times)  Share 

Gromekk

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
monash vs rmit compsci/software engineering
« on: September 22, 2016, 11:06:27 am »
Trying to decide between a monash and rmit. Rmit is a lot closer, I can take the train every day but if i wanna go monash will probably have to move there, afaik there is no double degree for compsci/software engineering at rmit but there is at monash. Is there any benefit doing a double degree? If anyone has any experience in either i would love to hear about it, ive read in older threads that melbourne for IT stuff is pretty rubbish, is it still true?

thanks

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: monash vs rmit compsci/software engineering
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 12:49:13 pm »
+2
For IT, the main thing you must consider is experience. The university you go to plays little role (in an undergraduate sense), as these types of degrees must comply with certain content requirements in order to be accredited. If RMIT is a lot closer, I would go there.

Benefits of a double degree: two degrees instead of one (obviously) - but apart from that, it usually takes longer to complete and given the overlap between computer science and software engineering, i'd say you would probably be learning somewhat similar content too.

I think you need to make up your mind and choose one or the other and go with that. There are always postgraduate options (e.g. Masters) if you feel like you still need to upskill further. Like i said at the start of this post, experience is literally the most important thing in the IT industry. Take advantage of programs that offer project or industry based learning, because they give you connections and networking opportunities :)

ive read in older threads that melbourne for IT stuff is pretty rubbish
Don't quote me on this (since I don't go to Melbourne), but I feel as if Melbourne has an extreme focus on academic rather than the practical side of IT (and this is the case in a lot of universities). Like I highlighted above, you need to find somewhere that offers good project/IBL opportunities or opportunities to take on internships of some sort. Practical experience goes a long way - as the IT industry is difficult to get into as a graduate.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 12:50:49 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Gromekk

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Re: monash vs rmit compsci/software engineering
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 02:18:33 pm »
thanks heaps, given me lots to think about.