Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 02:12:24 am

Author Topic: Studying for the SAC HSC exam  (Read 9312 times)  Share 

jozzl

• Trailblazer
  • woo? lets do this??
  • Respect: 0
Re: Studying for the SAC HSC exam
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 11:22:44 am »
+1
evolutionary change and transformative change, but didn't really say why they were complex or what they involved etc.

Also! depending on your cultural study (which you said was China? Mines egypt) You'll need to look at the change theories too which was it conflict change, symbolic interactionism, functionalism or evolutionary however these relate more to social change. So if the question was how is change represented in your case study you'd need to say what it is (what kind of change) and how has the change been transformative (which is why its complex)
sorry to butt In and im sure you know it already but its always good to mention
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:30:02 am by jozzl »
* HSC subjects *
Advanced English || Ancient History || Society and Culture | Entertainment VET || Studies of Religion 1|| Visual Arts ||

ATAR Goal: 86.5 - 2D/3D Animation at UTS

kawther

• Trailblazer
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 12:44:08 pm »
Also! depending on your cultural study (which you said was China? Mines egypt) You'll need to look at the change theories too which was it conflict change, symbolic interactionism, functionalism or evolutionary however these relate more to social change. So if the question was how is change represented in your case study you'd need to say what it is (what kind of change) and how has the change been transformative (which is why its complex)
sorry to butt In and im sure you know it already but its always good to mention

Ok so for China, we did the functionalism theory, but that theory is against any changes. It claims that if changes were to occur, they would need to be very minimal. So do i mention somewhere in there that thats why change is complex?

Thank you for your advice!

Blissfulmelodii

• Trendsetter
  • "Mistakes are proof that you are trying!"
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 01:21:36 pm »
+1
THANK YOU SO MUCH haha i finally get it! Literally saved my life <3

The textbook didn't really have much on change, rather it went straight onto the focus study (China). It only explained that "Change is complex because it has many facets and contributing forces" and then went on to briefly mention evolutionary change and transformative change, but didn't really say why they were complex or what they involved etc. Thank you again!

No worries at all!! so glad i could help  :)
I know how confusing this course can often be and I always find the best way to understand the content is to discuss it.

Ok so for China, we did the functionalism theory, but that theory is against any changes. It claims that if changes were to occur, they would need to be very minimal. So do i mention somewhere in there that thats why change is complex?

Thank you for your advice!

Well functionalism theory is still classified as a social change theory so change does occur but like you said it would minimal. My class like to think of it as a scale of balance if one side is slightly tipping then society needs to adjust their priorities to keep the scaled at an equal balance, this is something you can definitely discuss in terms of change being complex. However I think if we were to be asked about how change can be complex we wouldn't necessarily talk about it being complex but rather be expected to show through our case studies the difficulties and implications faced when change does occur which inadvertently answers the dot point.

Hope that makes sense  :)   
--HSC subjects--
Music 1 | Biology | Society and Culture | Spanish Beginners | Math ext 1 & 2 | English Advanced | English ext 1 & 2

fizzy.123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 12:23:57 am »
Hey guys! So i'm not motivated at all to study for Society and so i was wondering if anyone can help me out with what should i do? Will going through past papers and like making a plan for the option essays be a good form of studying?

kawther

• Trailblazer
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 08:38:38 am »
No worries at all!! so glad i could help  :)
I know how confusing this course can often be and I always find the best way to understand the content is to discuss it.

Well functionalism theory is still classified as a social change theory so change does occur but like you said it would minimal. My class like to think of it as a scale of balance if one side is slightly tipping then society needs to adjust their priorities to keep the scaled at an equal balance, this is something you can definitely discuss in terms of change being complex. However I think if we were to be asked about how change can be complex we wouldn't necessarily talk about it being complex but rather be expected to show through our case studies the difficulties and implications faced when change does occur which inadvertently answers the dot point.

Hope that makes sense  :)

Great! Thank you again for your help, really do appreciate it :)

kawther

• Trailblazer
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 08:45:39 am »
Hey guys! So i'm not motivated at all to study for Society and so i was wondering if anyone can help me out with what should i do? Will going through past papers and like making a plan for the option essays be a good form of studying?

Hey,
I know how you feel, i have an exam on the morning of the S&C exam so double the stress  ::)

I recommend going through the syllabus and if you come across any dot point your not really sure of, or if it came in the exam and you would be stuck, then write out some brief notes about the dot point just so you're prepared. Past papers are good as well! But considering the syllabus changed, I think theres only one past paper which is relevant to the updated syllabus. I do Inclusion and Exclusion, and that topic was not on the previous syllabus so i only have one question to practise, but if you're doing other topics, I'm pretty sure previous questions would still work. Good Luck!

fizzy.123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 11:44:12 am »
Hey,
I know how you feel, i have an exam on the morning of the S&C exam so double the stress  ::)

I recommend going through the syllabus and if you come across any dot point your not really sure of, or if it came in the exam and you would be stuck, then write out some brief notes about the dot point just so you're prepared. Past papers are good as well! But considering the syllabus changed, I think theres only one past paper which is relevant to the updated syllabus. I do Inclusion and Exclusion, and that topic was not on the previous syllabus so i only have one question to practise, but if you're doing other topics, I'm pretty sure previous questions would still work. Good Luck!

Thank you! Yes i have business just before society and its so difficult to stay focused on both! Also, I'm really bad at MCQs for short answers, i have practiced the past hsc ones but i need more questions. Does anyone know where i can more practice MCQs for society from?

fizzy.123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 12:15:34 pm »
Another question.. sorry for so many questions

Can someone explain to me what evolutionary and transformative changes are?

ailsa

• Fresh Poster
  • perpetually tired
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 12:34:21 pm »
Another question.. sorry for so many questions

Can someone explain to me what evolutionary and transformative changes are?

Hey! I've also had trouble with these because they're kind of similar? Anyway, my notes for them are this:
Transformative:
- A process whereby personal and social structures and systems work to create broad based change that completely alters existing structures within society.
- Must occur at multiple levels (combines shifts in values, behaviors and processes, strategies and practices)
Evolutionary:
- Process of structural change that creates a slow alteration in the institutions or social roles of a society that are then integrated into the society.
- Can occur as a result of internal issues (eg. Technological innovation) or ideological shifts
- Or external issues (eg. Environmental conditions, acculturation, cultural diffusion)

Hope this helps!
Adv Eng, Maths Gen, Vis Arts, Society, Legal, Modern

jozzl

• Trailblazer
  • woo? lets do this??
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 03:47:00 pm »
But considering the syllabus changed, I think theres only one past paper which is relevant to the updated syllabus. I do Inclusion and Exclusion, and that topic was not on the previous syllabus so i only have one question to practise, but if you're doing other topics, I'm pretty sure previous questions would still work.

Ahhh yes i can relate! I do conformity and non conformity which isn't on any past papers. It literally means they can throw anything at us  :(
* HSC subjects *
Advanced English || Ancient History || Society and Culture | Entertainment VET || Studies of Religion 1|| Visual Arts ||

ATAR Goal: 86.5 - 2D/3D Animation at UTS

shamus.clarke

• Trailblazer
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 10:14:52 pm »
It sometimes helps to relate a country in the C&C module to a theory that a marker would not expect. I did China and compared it to Karl Marx's conflict theory, which was not recommended or considered in class.

Is anybody doing surfing for their popular culture?

Mod Edit: Post merge :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:02:21 am by jamonwindeyer »

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2017, 10:34:10 pm »
Hey everyone!
Anyone know how to structure their extended responses for the other topics? Would I structure my body paragraphs like the teeal structure in english? (I do conformity and non conformity + belief systems and ideologies for my other topics)
Thanks!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

1403pls

• Adventurer
  • School: Ravens wood
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2017, 03:53:17 pm »
Hi, can you include a brief diagram/sketch in an examination to support your case like you can in geography?
thanks

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2017, 06:20:32 pm »
+1
Hey everyone!
Anyone know how to structure their extended responses for the other topics? Would I structure my body paragraphs like the teeal structure in english? (I do conformity and non conformity + belief systems and ideologies for my other topics)
Thanks!

Hey there I did society and culture last year and i did do belief systems but not the other one. For my exam I basically did that structure with a heavy emphasis on examples! In English however I feel like there is more of an invite to use flowy, and basically unnecessary language to explain an idea and therefore whaffling on, so make sure you are quite precise in word choice
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2017, 06:21:09 pm »
Hi, can you include a brief diagram/sketch in an examination to support your case like you can in geography?
thanks

Replied to this message in the other thread you posted :)
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)