Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 04:35:52 am

Author Topic: Two Exams in One Day  (Read 14729 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Two Exams in One Day
« on: October 12, 2016, 01:10:20 pm »
+4
Need help with your English Exam tomorrow? Register for a FREE account and ask your question HERE.
Need help with your Music Exam tomorrow? Register for a FREE account and ask your question HERE.

Tomorrow is English Paper 1; everyone knows it, and everyone is super freaked. But there are a few thousand of us even more freaked, because our Music Exam is also tomorrow. Yep, there are few things as frightening as the prospect of doing two of your HSC Exams in one day. One exam is tough, and let’s just be frank: Two exams in one day is flat brutal.

I dealt with two of these double ups in my HSC; Music and English, and then SOR and Extension 1. We’ve got a few nasty double ups this year too; Music and English (do they dislike us Music students or something?), Hospitality and English, PE and Extension 1, Business and Society & Culture, and heaps of others. There are hundreds of students grappling with the concept of two exams in one day right now.

The thing is, it isn’t as bad as you may think. If you come in prepared, getting two of your exams done at once can even be beneficial! It certainly takes a lot of the pressure off all in one go. The key is having a game plan. Here are my best tips for dealing with two exams in one day.

1.    Allocate your Study Cleverly
This first one might not be super helpful to those sitting Paper 1 and Music tomorrow, but it stands true in general. If you have two exams in one day, you need to really carefully plan out how you will use your time in the days leading up to those exams. On the day before, ideally, you only work on those two subjects.

Now this can be tricky, especially if you have an exam the day after your double (gross), so take this with a grain of salt. But there is nothing worse than getting to the day before your double up, and realising that you’ve spent all your time on the really difficult exam, and then nothing on the other. Plan your study and consider how much time you need to prepare for each exam.

By all means, you might not put the same effort into the two exams in one day. For me, I invested way more time in English and Extension 1 than I did in Music and SOR. This was for a few reasons; I found SOR and Music easier was the most important of those. They were also shorter exams. The day before Paper 1, I did English practice all day, and then Music practice in the evening. The day before SOR/Extension, I did some SOR essays in the morning, an Extension 1 paper in the afternoon, and then read over my notes for both at night.

The point being, allocate time to both exams the way that suits you. Don’t be left cramming because you forgot about the afternoon exam.

2.    Look After Yourself
This much should be obvious for everyone, but it is especially relevant if you have two exams in one day.

If you do Business and Society and Culture, as an example, you will walk into your first exam just after 9am and not walk out of your last one until after 4pm. That’s a full day at work doing some serious intensive mental flexing. It doesn’t help that those two subjects target similar skills either.

You need to look after your brain so it can perform for you on the day.

There are a few things you must do here. Getting a good night sleep is absolutely vital; if you need to be switched on for 8 hours, you need to switch off for 8 hours the night before. Eat a good breakfast, try and stay relaxed, keep yourself in a good way. And that leads me to my next point…

3.    Don’t Cram Between your Exams
This is really important. Exams are draining; mentally and physically. Two exams in one day doubles that effect. You come out of exams in a bit of a stupor, definitely not as fresh as when you came in. Do you want that dazed, exhausted and confused version of yourself responsible for getting a good mark in your exam? No, of course not.

You must rest between your exams.

I know it can be super tempting to cram in that 1 to 2-hour break between the two papers. Trust me, I get it. But the fact is that the little bit of extra content you may absorb isn’t worth the energy that you will lose between the two exams. Working too hard in the interim will suck all your energy away, and you run the risk of burning out in your second exam.

For this reason, I strongly recommend to everyone who has two exams in one day that you shouldn’t be doing practice papers in that gap. Grab lunch with some mates, let the stress of your first exam fall away. Recharge the batteries.

Now I’m not saying no study at all! By all means, read over your notes. Use palm cards. Even doodle some rough calculations. But you need to keep yourself chilled out. The key here is to get yourself out of exam mode, recharge, and then re-enter exam mode for your second paper.

It is practically impossible to stay completely switched on through the entirety of two exams. You can try, but you’ll never be as fresh in that last hour of the last exam, when your hand is sore and your head is throbbing, as you would have been if you let yourself rest.

So, take a load off when you have two exams in one day. An hour and a half is heaps of time to run and get lunch. Then, just come back and chill out with your mates and read over your notes. Be optimistic in this gap! Relax! Give your brain the rest that it needs.

Should I Stay at School If I Have Two Exams in One Day?
Some people may even choose to head home in the gap! I lived pretty far, so not an option for me, but I love this idea. The key to the break is, again, getting yourself out of exam mode. Heading home and having some lunch and a break is perhaps the best way to do this! If you have the option, go for it, but don’t be stressing about traffic and getting back in time. Only do it if you are close, and don’t head home just to study.

I’ll say it again; get yourself out of exam mode. Relax, do some light study, but chill out. It’s the best thing for you mentally, and it will make sure you’ve got the energy to smash that second exam.

Need help with your English Exam tomorrow? Register for a FREE account and ask your question HERE.
Need help with your Music Exam tomorrow? Register for a FREE account and ask your question HERE.

student123456

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Brigidine College Randwick
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Two Exams in One Day
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 05:18:46 pm »
+1
omg this is me. Thanks Jamon  8)

Musa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 07:32:26 am »
I have Ancient History + Industrial tech on the same day T.T

Blissfulmelodii

• Trendsetter
  • "Mistakes are proof that you are trying!"
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 05:39:48 pm »
Wish I had actually read this yesterday lol
But all in all I think the music 1 exam wasn't too bad to be completely honest. It was certainly a relief after English paper 1  ::)
--HSC subjects--
Music 1 | Biology | Society and Culture | Spanish Beginners | Math ext 1 & 2 | English Advanced | English ext 1 & 2

WLalex

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 06:44:38 pm »
Ah, I think I could handle having PDHPE and extension maths on the same day BUT then I have SOR II the next morning!!

DO you suggest studying for SOR that night (I finish ext at 4) and if so, what should I do?

Thaaanks
"You don't want to look back and know you could have done better"

2016: Advanced English, Mathematics , Extension Maths, Chemistry, SOR II, PDHPE

ATAR: 97.70

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 09:12:58 pm »
Wish I had actually read this yesterday lol
But all in all I think the music 1 exam wasn't too bad to be completely honest. It was certainly a relief after English paper 1  ::)

Oh I'll start up a thread to have a chat about this!! ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 09:14:10 pm »
Ah, I think I could handle having PDHPE and extension maths on the same day BUT then I have SOR II the next morning!!

DO you suggest studying for SOR that night (I finish ext at 4) and if so, what should I do?

Thaaanks

Hey Lalex! I'd recommend doing most of your study for SOR before your Extension Exam, and then spending the night just doing light revision. Read your notes, some MC sections, maybe some essay plans, but definitely nothing huge!! A third exam in the space of a day and a bit is nasty, keep yourself well rested! :)

kawther

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 10:31:23 pm »
+1
My last HSC day is business and Society and Culture, thinking about it has me freaking out

Thanks for the awesome tips!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 10:35:43 pm »
My last HSC day is business and Society and Culture, thinking about it has me freaking out

Thanks for the awesome tips!

Nearly died when I saw that double, will affect quite a few students I reckon. No problem, good luck! ;D

wesadora

• Forum Regular
  • School: Arden
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 08:32:13 pm »
Geography on the 25th October, PDHPE and Ext Maths on the 26th.

plz help. Tbh I'm just trying to study 3 hours of each subject per day but I don't even feel like that's enough.... :'( (plus 2 unit next friday, lol)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 08:36:31 pm by wesadora »
Subjects: 3U Maths, Adv. English, Chemistry, Geography, PDHPE

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 10:18:36 am »
Geography on the 25th October, PDHPE and Ext Maths on the 26th.

plz help. Tbh I'm just trying to study 3 hours of each subject per day but I don't even feel like that's enough.... :'( (plus 2 unit next friday, lol)

OUCH! That's the worst arrangement I've heard this year! I feel for you  :-[

I think that what you are doing already sounds perfect; you can only do so much, like 3x3=9 hours per day is insane! Just keep working (be sure not to neglect 2U), maybe focus entirely on 2U for Wednesday and Thursday then come back to the others over the weekend?

Dragomistress

• Trendsetter
  • School: James Ruse Agricultural High School
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 07:08:25 am »
Claim misadventure guys! Problem solved. :P

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 09:05:36 am »
Claim misadventure guys! Problem solved. :P

You need a bloody good excuse to claim it; just the sniffles doesn't cut it :P it's way less effort and hassle to just study for the exams, aha ;)

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 10:50:11 am »
You need a bloody good excuse to claim it; just the sniffles doesn't cut it :P it's way less effort and hassle to just study for the exams, aha ;)

Honestly gotta agree with Jamon here :) It's just not worth the risk - who knows what could happen in the exam? Maybe everyone else didn't do very well but you had the potential to do great? And speaking from a little experience (I had illness misadventure for year 11 yearlies coz of a broken arm - not the same as HSC but...) it's really not that fun, you miss out on social stuff and you actually get a lot of hate from people in your grade.

Trust me - if it's genuine, it's not great, and if it's falsified it's not worth it :)

emarmma

• Fresh Poster
  • School: st john paul ii catholic college
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 12:06:42 am »
Hey guys,
I have a broken arm and I have missed the business studies exam. I have applied for misadventure and illness but I don't know they are going to estimate the mark. Could you guys please help because i am freaking out.
thanks