Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:38:02 am

Author Topic: Changing Subjects  (Read 5741 times)  Share 

Sharms

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Marist
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Changing Subjects
« on: February 07, 2016, 03:53:39 pm »
Just completed the first term of HSC and got 45% in my chem exam, how hard would it be to to change into senior science having missed the whole first term and quickly approaching the half yearlies?
I am dedicated towards learning its just I never really go on with chemistry and all the concepts

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
Re: Changing Subjects
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 12:43:45 am »
Just completed the first term of HSC and got 45% in my chem exam, how hard would it be to to change into senior science having missed the whole first term and quickly approaching the half yearlies?
I am dedicated towards learning its just I never really go on with chemistry and all the concepts

Hey Sharms! I didn't do Senior Science so I can't speak specifically, but I thought I'd give some advice regardless.

Changing subjects in the middle of your HSC is tough, and I daresay many schools would outright forbid it. In fact, I could be wrong, but it may not even be allowed since you won't complete the assessment requirements.

Even if you were able to arrange something with your school, I would personally still advise against it. Catching up on a term of work for Senior Science is more work than catching up on Chemistry. You've already invested time with Chemistry.

Although it may seem like Senior Science will be an easier choice, don't underestimate the difficulty of any HSC subjects.  Senior Science is hard, just like Chemistry or Maths Extension 2. The content may be a little simpler in some respects, but the amount of work is fairly identical.

I recommend you stick it out. It will take, let's say, 20 hours of work to get some practice in and improve your Chem Results (perhaps jump on our Chemistry Forums for some assistance! It will take at least 50 hours to catch up on Senior Science properly, do the missed assessments, etc. In the long run, I think it will be way better for you to stick it out.  ;D

Hasti

• Adventurer
  • GradReady
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 09:28:44 pm »

Hi!
Just to offer a different perspective - it really depends on how dedicated you are to catching up on work! Keeping in mind all your other subjects, assessments, study time and personal/social commitments, you'll have to be the judge on whether you are able to put in the hours for Senior Science. I personally think it is possible, but then again anything is possible. Talk to your head teacher and get their advice as well. They might give you some extra notes to help you catch up with Senior Science, or even help you get ahead with Chemistry. Grab someone's book that does Senior Science and see how much work they have done, and whether they are naturally easy concepts for you and you are able to catch on quickly.

Whatever you do, good luck!
Hasti

Tutor of Advanced English (95)

itswags98

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 05:03:57 pm »
Hey Sharms! I didn't do Senior Science so I can't speak specifically, but I thought I'd give some advice regardless.

Changing subjects in the middle of your HSC is tough, and I daresay many schools would outright forbid it. In fact, I could be wrong, but it may not even be allowed since you won't complete the assessment requirements.

Even if you were able to arrange something with your school, I would personally still advise against it. Catching up on a term of work for Senior Science is more work than catching up on Chemistry. You've already invested time with Chemistry.

Although it may seem like Senior Science will be an easier choice, don't underestimate the difficulty of any HSC subjects.  Senior Science is hard, just like Chemistry or Maths Extension 2. The content may be a little simpler in some respects, but the amount of work is fairly identical.

I recommend you stick it out. It will take, let's say, 20 hours of work to get some practice in and improve your Chem Results (perhaps jump on our Chemistry Forums for some assistance! It will take at least 50 hours to catch up on Senior Science properly, do the missed assessments, etc. In the long run, I think it will be way better for you to stick it out.  ;D

I know this is a fairly old post.... but im currently doing Senior Science and i should say that it is one of the most straightforward courses ever. What im trying to say is that content is EASIER to learn and unlike chemistry and the sorts, theres always one answer to every question and the HSC exams are all super super similar.
That said, anyone who changes WOULD need to do a powercharge of information and get through it all in order to catch up. Not to mention it scales poorly so you would need to achieve a 90+ if you want a decent atar.

With that said though, if theres one subject that would be easy to change into half yearly, itd definitely be senior science.
Goal of 85 ATAR. Lets do eht

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 05:17:32 pm »
I know this is a fairly old post.... but im currently doing Senior Science and i should say that it is one of the most straightforward courses ever. What im trying to say is that content is EASIER to learn and unlike chemistry and the sorts, theres always one answer to every question and the HSC exams are all super super similar.
That said, anyone who changes WOULD need to do a powercharge of information and get through it all in order to catch up. Not to mention it scales poorly so you would need to achieve a 90+ if you want a decent atar.

With that said though, if theres one subject that would be easy to change into half yearly, itd definitely be senior science.
Too bad it's trials now. Any change at this point in general is damage.

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 02:51:07 pm »
Digging up an old thread but hopefully future students will benefit from this.

The first module of Senior Science is entitled Lifestyle chemistry, and is a mix between yr 7-10 science and year 11 chemistry. Also having done bio, the second module (Medical Technology: Bionics) is also very Year 10/11 Biology weighted.

Before making the move to senior science know three things:
1. The "pass" mark for Chemistry and Physics is 40%, and Biology is 50%. If you are getting under that, make a decision.
2. Senior Science is really straightforward and once you go 'down' you cannot go back 'up' (For example, 7/17 for the HY exams got a band 6 with the top mark 98%)
3. Look at the syllabus. After all, its all they can test you on.

Hope this helps (won't really help you but will help others)  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 02:53:31 pm »
Digging up an old thread but hopefully future students will benefit from this.

The first module of Senior Science is entitled Lifestyle chemistry, and is a mix between yr 7-10 science and year 11 chemistry. Also having done bio, the second module (Medical Technology: Bionics) is also very Year 10/11 Biology weighted.

Before making the move to senior science know three things:
1. The "pass" mark for Chemistry and Physics is 40%, and Biology is 50%. If you are getting under that, make a decision.
2. Senior Science is really straightforward and once you go 'down' you cannot go back 'up' (For example, 7/17 for the HY exams got a band 6 with the top mark 98%)
3. Look at the syllabus. After all, its all they can test you on.

Hope this helps (won't really help you but will help others)  ;D

Thanks for sharing!! Could I ask what you mean by "the "pass" mark for Chemistry and Physics is 40%?"  ;D

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 02:57:47 pm »
What i mean by the "pass" mark i might bluntly rename as the "drop off" point.

If one is getting under 40% in Chemistry or Biology, they are recommended to drop
Same with bio but 50% (not sure why bio has a higher drop off mark)

At least thats what my teacher told me in Year 11 as i got 42% for the yearly.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 03:00:15 pm »
What i mean by the "pass" mark i might bluntly rename as the "drop off" point.

If one is getting under 40% in Chemistry or Biology, they are recommended to drop
Same with bio but 50% (not sure why bio has a higher drop off mark)

At least thats what my teacher told me in Year 11 as i got 42% for the yearly.

Ahh okay fair enough!! I wonder why they said it was lower for Chem and Physics? Possibly the scaling effects, but the difference isn't a full 10%: Curious indeed  :o

Edit: Scaling won't make any difference in that mark range actually.

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 03:06:49 pm »
Im not sure why exactly i just know that in chemistry there are a lot more concepts to get your head around and similarities to confuse you ;D eg intermolecular/intramolecular alkene/alkine/alkane. Omg no wonder i dropped chem haha

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 03:07:41 pm »
Im not sure why exactly i just know that in chemistry there are a lot more concepts to get your head around and similarities to confuse you ;D eg intermolecular/intramolecular alkene/alkine/alkane. Omg no wonder i dropped chem haha

Ahaha no wonder I never took it, I'd say much harder than Physics!!  ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 03:09:05 pm »
Inter and intra should've been analysed seperately. Intramolecular forces are things that result from ionic bonding etc. that is they aren't between different molecules. Intermolecular forces are between say two water molecules - the hydrogen bonding that goes on.

Alkanes have formula CnH2n+2
Alkenes have formula CnH2n
Alkynes have formula CnH2n-2 and are mostly useless in HSC chemistry.

They are characterised by all single bonds, one double bond and one triple bond respectively.

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 03:09:47 pm »
Oh im not so sure about that i didnt even attempt physics  :P

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 03:10:56 pm »
Lol thanks ruiace but i dont do chem anymore :) wouldve been great if something like this existed in nsw last year

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 03:11:50 pm »
Too bad my HSC is done!

I mean like, not really because I'd rather get out of Yr 12. But uni is still really hard at times.