Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 11:17:55 pm

Author Topic: Updates Place  (Read 6418 times)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Updates Place
« on: July 29, 2016, 01:58:19 pm »
+4
Welcome to Updates Place... a place for updates!

(Note: please feel free to ask questions and generate discussions... This thread isn't intended to be for one-way communication - we have email for that!)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 02:04:27 pm by brenden »
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
Re: Updates Place
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 02:03:48 pm »
+4
So, not long ago we added many new Nat Mods, and today we'll finish up adding many Vic/NSW Mods -- and we will be getting a greater intake of moderators as time goes on!

One really cool thing Joey is working on at the moment is a POST LEADERBOARD, which will show for both NSW and VIC who has posted the most in a this week, this month, and this year. There will also be a third, combined leaderboard.

Super excited to get this out to you guys!
---
We're also updating the forum rules and making them a bit easier to read, and soon, we'll take a vote on a post milestone structure we've been working on!

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 02:10:01 pm »
+6
Not exactly an update, but... yesterday we hit the highest number of users online at once of the year, 928!  With you all joining in we're going to absolutely smash previous years' records in 2016 8)

yes, the AN World Domination plans are taking root ;)
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 02:15:27 pm »
+1
Not exactly an update, but... yesterday we hit the highest number of users online at once of the year, 928!  With you all joining in we're going to absolutely smash previous years' records in 2016 8)

yes, the AN World Domination plans are taking root ;)
Definitely an update.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 09:38:32 pm »
+1
In Sydney at the moment for UTS Open Day! (They're our lecturing partner for HSC lectures!)

... Have been laying the groundwork for the next lecture series in the past weeks - tickets to be released on Monday!

We also have a pretty cool forum change coming that I'm super excited for - it will really make the forum easier to keep up with - but I'll keep a lid on that one ;)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 07:05:59 am »
+3
Hey hey!

So, you'll notice if you're on a laptop/desktop/big tablet that "unread posts" is now on the side of the forums.

Whilst not 100% finished, it's good enough to start testing with the community.

In essence, change can be a bit scary, but there are many great reasons to be excited about this:

- Will improve the navigability of the forums for guests (who don't have the option of clicking "show unread posts since last visit") and other users
- Will improve the amount of pages visited per session by the average user
- Will improve duration of 'time on site'
- Will increase forum traffic/activity.
- Also enables us to remove the double ad from the top of the screen (it used to go ad - forum toolbar - ad). We've put an ad under the recent posts and taken away the one at the top of the screen.

I'm really excited to see the results, and if you see anything glitchy (there will be a couple of things), let us know so we can get it fixed up in the next week or so and see how the change operates once its perfect.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 07:36:13 am »
Hey hey!

So, you'll notice if you're on a laptop/desktop/big tablet that "unread posts" is now on the side of the forums.

In essence, change can be a bit scary, but there are many great reasons to be excited about this:

- Will improve the navigability of the forums for guests (who don't have the option of clicking "show unread posts since last visit") and other users
- Also enables us to remove the double ad from the top of the screen (it used to go ad - forum toolbar - ad). We've put an ad under the recent posts and taken away the one at the top of the screen.

I'm really excited to see the results, and if you see anything glitchy (there will be a couple of things), let us know so we can get it fixed up in the next week or so and see how the change operates once its perfect.
I don't know about how aesthetic it really is but functionality wise I absolutely love it; no more having to go back to the front page to check latest posts

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 08:40:19 am »
I don't know about how aesthetic it really is but functionality wise I absolutely love it; no more having to go back to the front page to check latest posts
It's definitely not the most beautiful; but we'll work on making it better. I'm thinking maybe we could remove the username just to clean up the recent posts section itself. Stoked you like the functionality though- that's exactly the point!

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 07:48:29 pm »
+1
Hey hey!

Two small issues with this change, but I am generally and genuinely happy overall!!

1. Is there a way so it does not show up all of your posts and actually someone elses? Approx 1/2 of the posts are from me in my sidebar :)
2. Can we not have ten of the same topic posted please? This takes up almost the other half lol.

Besides that though I think that this change is good and I am not a big fan of change!
(Ps why is there now a massive gap between the most recent post and reply button)

Also an idea for a future update when we have unread topics can it load at the point where we saw the last msg? Eg, unread posts below or something? Would make the forums soooo much better!
But good update overall! (Go brenden!! ;D)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 09:28:15 pm »
+6
I literally forgot to update this thread but UPDATE:

Yesterday was the first day in the site's history that traffic from NSW was GREATER than traffic from  VIC! How good are our three NatMods Jake, Elyse, and Jamon... and how good are all the NSW subject moderators that have made this happen?

An update I'm very happy to give!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 11:47:41 pm »
+6
A quick update that I'm passing on that Brenden gave me as well; we have broken the all time forum record for people online at the same time! We did it yesterday, and we did it again today, we have a new record of 1402! Super exciting ;D

Edit - Insanipi, your snaps alerted us this evening as well ;)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 02:39:54 pm »
+5
My feels when the new record of people online is 3001.

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
  • Be yourself and be your best self.
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 04:12:54 pm »
+2
Actually Brenden, it's 4217 now. (on the other hand, I want to make a game where members bet on the "most online" figure for this year).  :P

Edit: I've made one.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 10:28:52 pm by FallingStar »

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 05:02:00 pm »
+5
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Before we hit the peak this arvo, I had BOS and AN open side by side just for the laffs, I think AN wins...

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:09:31 pm by heidiii »
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 05:40:13 pm »
+1
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Before we hit the peak this arvo, I had BOS and AN open side by side just for the laffs, I think AN wins...

(Image removed from quote.)

Ahaha that's the bomb!! ;D I'm aiming for 5000 tomorrow! ;D