Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:41:12 am

Author Topic: Looking toward 2017: ask your HHD questions here  (Read 14515 times)  Share 

helloeveryone

Re: Looking toward 2017: ask your HHD questions here
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 11:45:04 am »
+2
Hey guys, for the determinants, i was wondering if we need to know like for example, biological determinant- we need to know glucose regulation, high blood pressure, hypertension, birthweight, body weight etc.. or just the definitions?

I would just know a brief explanation for each determinant example. They most likely won't pop up on the exam (maybe those related to NHPA's) but your school might chuck one or two in the SAC.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 11:47:07 am by helloeveryone »

EdwinaB19

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
Looking toward 2017: ask your HHD questions here
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 01:31:06 pm »

How do you answer Question 4, and other questions which ask to compare countries x rates?
Do you mention every country represented in the graph?
 -just need to clarify so I answer in the correct way in future
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:11:01 pm by EdwinaB19 »
2016: Biology [37]

2017: Health & Human Development [45], Psychology [44], Further Mathematics [43], English [39]

2018-2023: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Science @ Monash

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 02:57:20 pm »
+1
Is it worth studying the content ahead of your class, so going a couple of chapters ahead?

I think my best advice, here (and Aaron suggested similarly, I think), is just to do whatever you're comfortable with. If you feel better about things having looked a chapter or two ahead, then do that. But if you feel like the class' pace is fine, I really don't think there's a *need* to work ahead. :)

Hey guys, for the determinants, i was wondering if we need to know like for example, biological determinant- we need to know glucose regulation, high blood pressure, hypertension, birthweight, body weight etc.. or just the definitions?

I would just know a brief explanation for each determinant example. They most likely won't pop up on the exam (maybe those related to NHPA's) but your school might chuck one or two in the SAC.

Yeah, I like helloeveryone's approach. For the determinants, I'd know the precise definition of the determinant, and some examples of that determinant. In regard to those examples, I'd have a general understanding of how they may be impactful (so like, birth weight in the biological determinant can have an effect on health status because xyz) but not much more than that.

Does that answer your question? :)

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

How do you answer Question 4, and other questions which ask to compare countries x rates?
Do you mention every country represented in the graph?
 -just need to clarify so I answer in the correct way in future

Good question. These textbook questions annoy me a little due to not indicating how many marks they're worth (unless I'm missing something?); I think that's a really important consideration to make. But in general, things I'd be including for questions like this:

1. Specific statistics (so like, Australia's mortality rate isn't just "low"; it's "low (60 deaths per 1000*)". This shows that you're really engaging with the question, and allows much deeper analysis.
2. If applicable, some sort of trend or generalisation. In this case, for example, Australia's mortality rate is lower than other developed nations' (but again, be sure to be specific).

To answer your subsequent question, no, I don't think you need to mention *all* of the countries listed. That would take a very long time and be very tedious. This question in particular includes averages for certain groups of countries, which would most likely be helpful. If something like that *isn't* provided, though, you could just say something like "Country A (statistic) generally has a lower mortality rate than other developed countries, such as Country B (statistic) and Country C (statistic)."

As I say, it depends a little on the mark allocation, but being specific is IMO one of the biggest things to remember. Would you like to write a sample response to that question? Then we can go from there. :)

*I didn't look at the diagram hugely closely so the unit may be off.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 04:20:14 pm »
Hi guys!

I just wanted to ask about whether we need to include the citation for some of the definitions such as "WHO, 2008".

Thanks! :)

helloeveryone

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 04:35:53 pm »
Hi guys!

I just wanted to ask about whether we need to include the citation for some of the definitions such as "WHO, 2008".

Thanks! :)

Nope, not needed.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 04:47:04 pm »
^Yeah, not needed IMO, but it couldn't hurt if accurate. :)

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 04:56:10 pm »
Thanks guys!

Also, for a 50 in health, do I have to be rank 1 and lose barely any marks (lose like 1 or 2) throughout the whole year? AND get near 100% for the exam? because health has a huge cohort and ranking is super difficult  :'(

Do you remember approximately how you went on your SAC's/exam so I have some sort of guideline?

Thankyou so muchh :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 05:03:18 pm »
+1
Thanks guys!

No problem. :)

Also, for a 50 in health, do I have to be rank 1

No, but it wouldn't hurt!

and lose barely any marks (lose like 1 or 2) throughout the whole year?

No - your actual (raw) SAC marks during the year don't matter too much.

AND get near 100% for the exam? because health has a huge cohort and ranking is super difficult  :'(

No - the A+ cutoff for the HHD exam is probably lower than you think. Like, in 2015, it was 78.5% on the exam (it's listed as 157/200, but that's because it's marked twice). :)

Do you remember approximately how you went on your SAC's/exam so I have some sort of guideline?

Thankyou so muchh :)

I remember vaguely, but like I say, the raw marks don't mean too much, because it's very difficult to compare schools' SACs. :)

pap0007

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 08:07:47 pm »
hi i just did a health sac for determinants of health and difference in population groups and there was a question asking to choose 2 determinants of health that would account for the difference in higher injury mortality rates in rural and remote areas when compared to metropolitan areas. one of my determinants i said that "rural and remote areas have higher rates of risk taking behavior such as drug use which increases rates of violence and therefore increases injury mortality rates when compared to metropolitan areas". i didnt receive any marks for this determinant. i have since asked why and the teacher told me she will check it out but i was wandering if this would be valid for the this population group?

thanks in advance!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 11:16:07 am »
+1
hi i just did a health sac for determinants of health and difference in population groups and there was a question asking to choose 2 determinants of health that would account for the difference in higher injury mortality rates in rural and remote areas when compared to metropolitan areas. one of my determinants i said that "rural and remote areas have higher rates of risk taking behavior such as drug use which increases rates of violence and therefore increases injury mortality rates when compared to metropolitan areas". i didnt receive any marks for this determinant. i have since asked why and the teacher told me she will check it out but i was wandering if this would be valid for the this population group?

thanks in advance!

Hey, pap0007! How did you find the SAC overall? :)

I personally think no marks is a little harsh, but your teacher will ultimately know best and is in a much better position to comment, obviously. I like how you used a nice linking template, though (x leads to y, which has z effect).

What I'd recommend, too, is explicitly labelling the determinant that you're using. Like, did you use that as behavioural? Or social? Actually stating which determinant you're using is really important; I used to physically underline them before starting the rest of my response. :)

--

Actually, now that I think about it more, I think a more natural route to go down would be a proportionally higher use of illicit drugs rather than risk-taking behaviour - this seems to fit the rest of your response more nicely.

Let us know how you go. :)

dani.eric

• Adventurer
  • School: Flinders College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 04:32:08 pm »
+1
Hi,
I am currently doing unit 3 HHD and our first SAC is in a week. I have studied the content and now i am looking to practice applying my knowledge through practice SACs but i cannot find any resources to assist me.

I am just looking for some general advice on this - where can i find practice SACs or questions for a specific area of study (other than VCAA past exams)? What are some good things to do early on in the year for the health exam?

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 01:12:05 pm »
+2
Hi,
I am currently doing unit 3 HHD and our first SAC is in a week. I have studied the content and now i am looking to practice applying my knowledge through practice SACs but i cannot find any resources to assist me.

I am just looking for some general advice on this - where can i find practice SACs or questions for a specific area of study (other than VCAA past exams)? What are some good things to do early on in the year for the health exam?

Hey, dani.eric! ;D Welcome to ATAR Notes. :)

How are you finding HHD thus far? Are you feeling confident for the SAC?

I'm sure others can throw in their two cents here, too, but from my own and anecdotal experience, practice SACs can be pretty difficult to come by. What I used to do was go through the textbook questions in addition to the Checkpoints (do you have a copy?) questions, which are divided by Area of Study.

In regard to exam preparation (I love it how keen you are! ;D), I'd suggest the following:

Have really clear and concise notes
So I had like, a summary notebook further to my actual notebook (the one where I took notes in class). I made the summary book slowly throughout the year; essentially, I did my SAC revision (a lot of summaries) in the summary book. At the end of the year, this is really, really good for revision. If it's clear enough, you can simply hand it to a family member of friend, and say, "test me on this page" or whatever. I found that really effective.

Of course, at that time of year, a lot of students will be cramming to actually make their notes in the first place, whilst you'll be way ahead of the pack. :D

Different types of questions
If you come across a question and it's worth two marks, also think about what you would write if it were worth four marks. If you come across a question and it's worth six marks, also think about what you would write if it were worth two marks. And so on.

I find that even when students know the content, many struggle with mark allocation - either they write way too much, which wastes time (I was guilty of this haha), or they write way too little, which basically throws away marks.

Definitions
Further to the summary booklet, I recommend having a go-to document or book with solely definitions - just because there are so many in HHD. VCAA explicitly lists many in the glossary (as part of the "Advice to teachers" document), but there are others you can add.

Consistent revision
When it comes to mind during the year, go back a few chapters in your textbook and try to answer the questions, there. It's easy to forget stuff when you've moved on to new material, but this type of consistent revision throughout the year is really important preparation for the end-of-year exam. :)

I hope at least some of that was helpful! ;D

Maya24

• MOTM: OCT 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 05:16:33 pm »
+1
Hi,

I find that going through VCCA exams and other practice exams and finding questions relating to the topic, then doing them helps. I have a sac in a couple of days and i am just going through questions. Try to get through as many possible questions as you can and know your definitions.

Adriana3149

• Adventurer
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2017, 06:46:00 pm »
Hi
I need someone who can tell me if the answer I wrote is correct or should I add something
Thankyou!

Define life expectancy and explain how it differs to health adjusted life expectancy

Life expectancy is an indication of how long a person can expect to live; it is the number of years of life remaining to a person at a particular age if death rates do not change. Health adjusted life expectancy is a measure of burden of disease based on life expectancy at birth, but including an adjustment for time spent in poor health.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2017, 07:05:56 pm »
Hi
I need someone who can tell me if the answer I wrote is correct or should I add something
Thankyou!

Define life expectancy and explain how it differs to health adjusted life expectancy

Life expectancy is an indication of how long a person can expect to live; it is the number of years of life remaining to a person at a particular age if death rates do not change. Health adjusted life expectancy is a measure of burden of disease based on life expectancy at birth, but including an adjustment for time spent in poor health.

Hey, Adriana! Welcome to ATAR Notes! ;D How are you finding HHD this year?

I think that's a great response insofar as you've clearly identified both life expectancy and health-adjusted life expectancy. The only thing I'd recommend adding is a more explicit link between the two. So as is, you've defined each term, but the question asks for a comparison (how life expectancy differs from heath-adjusted life expectancy). So I'd just throw in something like comparatively or on the other hand to sort of "build a bridge" between the two terms, like this:

---

Life expectancy is an indication of how long a person can expect to live; it is the number of years of life remaining to a person at a particular age if death rates do not change. Comparatively, health adjusted life expectancy is a measure of burden of disease based on life expectancy at birth, but (unlike life expectancy) including an adjustment for time spent in poor health.

---

Nice work! :)