Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:38:08 am

Author Topic: Other Related Texts for Extension 1/ After the Bomb  (Read 11376 times)  Share 

ShaniaCorby

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Other Related Texts for Extension 1/ After the Bomb
« on: January 18, 2017, 09:43:04 pm »
Hello! I'm currently looking for two related texts for Extension English One, I am currently finishing off George Clooney's 'Good Night and Good Luck', my related text was 'My Hiroshima' by Junko Morimoto, but I feel as though its a little too specific and isolated. I'm looking for something a bit more general, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  :) Thanks in advance

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Other Related Texts for Extension 1/ After the Bomb
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 11:30:56 am »
Hello! I'm currently looking for two related texts for Extension English One, I am currently finishing off George Clooney's 'Good Night and Good Luck', my related text was 'My Hiroshima' by Junko Morimoto, but I feel as though its a little too specific and isolated. I'm looking for something a bit more general, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  :) Thanks in advance

Hey Shania! Welcome to the forums - it's so good to have you hear! I made a list of the related texts that I used (even if only for a short period of time before moving on to another one) here. Although, I do see there's a movie in the cinemas at the moment that might be worth looking at. It's called Hidden Figures, and there's a book version too. It is about the race to the moon between USA and Russia, and how three African-American female mathematicians assisted in getting America there. I think it's actually a really fresh look at the period - it engages African Americans, women, the technical race between Nations, and space. It covers a lot of key areas in ATB. You can read a little about it here. Although I have to say - I haven't seen it myself yet! I only came across it last night...

Otherwise, refer to the list I linked above and I'm more than happy to talk about any of those texts...I love them all :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

ShaniaCorby

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 02:00:25 pm »
Thank you so much! Sorry for the late reply do you have any notes/essays/random bits you wouldn't mind sharing? It's okay if you don't my teacher has been a bit slack lately, though I suppose it is the holidays hahaha. Doing English through Distance Ed is harder than it seems

shamus.clarke

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 06:10:22 pm »
Hi Elyse, I have just submitted my preliminary analysis for my first related text, and am now beginning work on my second. Is the novel 'One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest' acceptable as  a text for ways of thinking?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 09:36:36 pm »
Hi Elyse, I have just submitted my preliminary analysis for my first related text, and am now beginning work on my second. Is the novel 'One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest' acceptable as  a text for ways of thinking?

Hey Shamus :) Glad to see you so busy around the forums!
I'm not at all familiar with this text but I just read the plot summary on Wikipedia. It seems to have some contextual details that may work...the mental facilities, the treatment of mental disorders...hard labour...
The best way to tell if this will work well, is by brainstorming the different ways of thinking that you can identify in the piece. Look at personal as well as political... consider gender, race, class, mental, physical. I'm happy to give you my opinions on these if you can tell me a bit about what you can identify. I always think that brainstorming the ways of thinking is a great start, because you're bound to find more as you continue to explore the text on further analysis. :)

nadine.tan

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 09:59:13 pm »
hI !

i was just wondering if posted essay's to atar notes for marking are viewable to other members ? thanks !!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 10:20:38 pm »
hI !

i was just wondering if posted essay's to atar notes for marking are viewable to other members ? thanks !!

Hey Nadine! Welcome to the forums! ;D

Yes, they are - But don't let that scare you! You will be helping to build an awesome collection of samples and feedback, kind of like the ones you'd pay $50 for from NESA - Students can use the response and the feedback to help them improve their own writing ;D

SRH923

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 09:11:56 pm »
Barefoot Gen

LochNess Monster

• Forum Regular
  • I speak Chinglish!
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 09:30:01 am »
I'm completely new to the forums! This is my first post but the title caught my eye.
I'm doing this course too, right now but I am not sure what related texts I would like. I looked over the list but did not feel much connection or interest except for The Wall picture book & Hidden Figures.

Do you think I can choose any book/novel/poetry from the time period? Does it need to be in relation to the Cold War or the bombs or can it be completely different and I could give it a twist-y connection?

I am not confident in film or visual techniques and am most comfortable with literary/prose techniques.
Hope to read the reply soon!
ATAR: 89.55
⸜( ˙ ˘ ˙)/ ・゚☆✧ Sometimes wrong numbers are the right numbers ~ Cecelia Ahern

☽ “But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.” - Yeats

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 10:46:33 am »
+1
I'm completely new to the forums! This is my first post but the title caught my eye.
I'm doing this course too, right now but I am not sure what related texts I would like. I looked over the list but did not feel much connection or interest except for The Wall picture book & Hidden Figures.

Do you think I can choose any book/novel/poetry from the time period? Does it need to be in relation to the Cold War or the bombs or can it be completely different and I could give it a twist-y connection?

I am not confident in film or visual techniques and am most comfortable with literary/prose techniques.

Hey there! It definitely does not have to be directly on the Cold War, as long as you can draw upon the ways of thinking from the time! For instance one of my prescribed texts is waiting for godot and there is no mention of communism, capitalism, bombs etc. directly, but you can draw upon the ways of thinking from the text such as devastation, existentialsim and so on. The style of text can be unusual too, such as the fact that I did a speech as a related text, JFK’s Berlin Speech to be accurate!

HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

fergo

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 10:26:19 pm »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for some poetry that I might be able to use as a related text for after the bomb- my teacher is recommending that we choose one that is reasonably lengthy but I'm struggling to find any.

Thanks!!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 11:06:06 am »

Hey there! It definitely does not have to be directly on the Cold War, as long as you can draw upon the ways of thinking from the time! For instance one of my prescribed texts is waiting for godot and there is no mention of communism, capitalism, bombs etc. directly, but you can draw upon the ways of thinking from the text such as devastation, existentialsim and so on. The style of text can be unusual too, such as the fact that I did a speech as a related text, JFK’s Berlin Speech to be accurate!

Just adding to this great response by Paige, you can talk about other wars that happened within the Cold War, like the Vietnam War, or not about a war at all! The Cold War is vast, and it's very eurocentric to assume it just has to be a East V West kinda situation, when there's a whole lot more to it than that. So you've got a lot of flexibility! :)

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for some poetry that I might be able to use as a related text for after the bomb- my teacher is recommending that we choose one that is reasonably lengthy but I'm struggling to find any.

Thanks!!

Sylvia Plath is on the prescribed list, but her husband Ted Hughs also produced poetry in the era. In a non-HSC related conversation, someone mentioned the poetry of Dylan Thomas to me recently and said it had post-bomb content, but I see he died in 1953 so it must have been a small facet of the career. Might be worth looking into!

LochNess Monster

• Forum Regular
  • I speak Chinglish!
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 10:24:18 pm »
+1
Hi!

Since this last post I've found myself a short story (which is an allegory for the Cold War, I really like it! sooo deep) for back up and as for poetry, W.H Auden has some great stuff.

Flashbulb of inspiration for any one who wants a freebie related text for Ext. 1 Eng.!  ;)

I really recommend "Epitaph on a Tyrant."
Read here: https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/epitaph-tyrant

Has strong themes of morality, justice and the overarching power of tyranny. Great link for 'Goodnight and Goodluck' as you can clearly discuss the political vs. personal impact.

Cheers!
ATAR: 89.55
⸜( ˙ ˘ ˙)/ ・゚☆✧ Sometimes wrong numbers are the right numbers ~ Cecelia Ahern

☽ “But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.” - Yeats

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 08:26:19 am »
Hi!

Since this last post I've found myself a short story (which is an allegory for the Cold War, I really like it! sooo deep) for back up and as for poetry, W.H Auden has some great stuff.

Flashbulb of inspiration for any one who wants a freebie related text for Ext. 1 Eng.!  ;)

I really recommend "Epitaph on a Tyrant."
Read here: https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/epitaph-tyrant

Has strong themes of morality, justice and the overarching power of tyranny. Great link for 'Goodnight and Goodluck' as you can clearly discuss the political vs. personal impact.

Cheers!

Hey there! I've just read the poem as per your recommendation and I really love it.

Even if you weren't doing Auden's poetry as your related text, you could still bring this short epitaph into the mix for discussion of the themes - just because it's short and gives you a lot to discuss in terms of linking themes - for some people it could be a link.

Thanks so much for sharing! :)

myer_123

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 05:30:28 pm »
+1
Hi everyone! This is my first post. I'm also doing after the bomb. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for related texts for the novel, The Spy that came in from the Cold??? Maybe poetry?

Thank you!! :)