Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:55:57 am

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 208501 times)  Share 

levendibigd

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: CBHS
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #150 on: October 11, 2016, 08:42:20 pm »
Hi there! How would you recommend studying/ memorising a piece of creative writing?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #151 on: October 11, 2016, 09:14:35 pm »
Hi there! How would you recommend studying/ memorising a piece of creative writing?

Scroll to the bottom here and you'll see some ideas :) Basically, writing, re-writing, and saying it out loud! Continually! Then give yourself a break, then jump back into it :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

cjrig

• Adventurer
« Reply #152 on: October 11, 2016, 10:54:07 pm »
Hi, i'm just wondering if it's possible for any essay questions in the HSC to tell us to write about our prescribed text and TWO related texts? Because I only have one related text for each module and the aos :/

katherine123

• Trendsetter
« Reply #153 on: October 11, 2016, 11:54:12 pm »
Ques: Discuss how Owen’s perspective on human conflict is conveyed in his poetry. In your response, make detailed reference to at least TWO poems set for study.
Topic sentence: Owen conveys his perspective that human conflict is futile by revealing the inconsistency between individuals' experience and societal beliefs and values concerning warfare and nationalism.
In my essay, how do i answer the ques without being repetitive? (please give another example of topic sentence)

Ques: Discoveries may be questioned or challenge when viewed from different perspectives and their worth may be reassesed over time.
Topic sentence: Discoveries may be questioned or challenged when viewed from different societal perspectives. This can lead individuals to reassess their worth in relation to their understanding and values.
Is this how I am suppose to reword the question in exam?     

For the last ques of unseen texts, do i need to give a specific summary of what the texts are about in the intro or do i just need to briefly mention how the texts relate to the idea given in the ques (Text 2 presents that discoveries can uncover hidden truths within the family which leads to greater understanding of self-identity   or  Text 2 portrays Amy discovering her biological parents through others which leads her to gain a greater understanding of her identity)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 12:03:55 am by katherine123 »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #154 on: October 12, 2016, 12:12:38 am »
Hi, i'm just wondering if it's possible for any essay questions in the HSC to tell us to write about our prescribed text and TWO related texts? Because I only have one related text for each module and the aos :/

Hey! Yes, it is possible, but unlikely. If it happens in AoS, use one of the unseen texts. If it happens in the modules; use your AoS text ;D just devote half an hour tomorrow/today to putting some emergency plans into the back of your head, so on the 1% chance it happens you have something to draw on ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #155 on: October 12, 2016, 12:21:10 am »
Ques: Discuss how Owen’s perspective on human conflict is conveyed in his poetry. In your response, make detailed reference to at least TWO poems set for study.
Topic sentence: Owen conveys his perspective that human conflict is futile by revealing the inconsistency between individuals' experience and societal beliefs and values concerning warfare and nationalism.
In my essay, how do i answer the ques without being repetitive? (please give another example of topic sentence)

Ques: Discoveries may be questioned or challenge when viewed from different perspectives and their worth may be reassesed over time.
Topic sentence: Discoveries may be questioned or challenged when viewed from different societal perspectives. This can lead individuals to reassess their worth in relation to their understanding and values.
Is this how I am suppose to reword the question in exam?     

I think these work really well Katherine! You are doing a good job of reframing the question into a Thesis statement. You may wish to create more variety with synonyms/change of order, or indeed just adding some detail! I think you do it really well in the first topic sentence, and quite simply in the second one, but both work nicely as very general Thesis statements. You should work on adding extra elements/levels of detail :)

For the last ques of unseen texts, do i need to give a specific summary of what the texts are about in the intro or do i just need to briefly mention how the texts relate to the idea given in the ques (Text 2 presents that discoveries can uncover hidden truths within the family which leads to greater understanding of self-identity   or  Text 2 portrays Amy discovering her biological parents through others which leads her to gain a greater understanding of her identity)

The first sentence you gave is more effective there, always approach things conceptually! :)

cjrig

• Adventurer
« Reply #156 on: October 12, 2016, 01:59:35 pm »
Hey! Yes, it is possible, but unlikely. If it happens in AoS, use one of the unseen texts. If it happens in the modules; use your AoS text ;D just devote half an hour tomorrow/today to putting some emergency plans into the back of your head, so on the 1% chance it happens you have something to draw on ;D

Okay thanks hopefully that won't happen!

Also, would you be able to give me feedback for my introduction for discovery please?

Question: The ramifications of particular discoveries may differ for individuals and their world

Demonstrate how your prescribed text and ONE other related text of your own choosing represent this

Intro:
Seeking and developing relationships, are the catalysts for evoking discovery. The discoveries made within these relationships has the ability to offer different perspectives. Discoveries can be evoked by curiosity, as shown in the play ‘Rainbow’s End’ by Jane Harrison, where the use of a relationship that is divided by a cultural and social gap evokes curiosity between the characters. The discovery process can begin through unexpected events, as seen in the short film ‘Paperman’ directed by John Kahrs, where the curiosity of a man wanting to connect with a woman who he met is what drives him to make a discovery. Ultimately through relationships, individuals can experience ramifications from discoveries that may differ for individuals within relationships.

katherine123

• Trendsetter
« Reply #157 on: October 13, 2016, 06:20:42 pm »
Can you check my sample intros and see if i have answered the question and how it can be improved?
Owen’s poems present the reader with a powerful exploration of the impact of human cruelty on individuals. How does Owen achieve this in his poetry? In your response, make detailed reference to your prescribed text.
Wilfred Owen, reflecting his experience on the Western front, presents the readers a particular group of soldiers’ extreme suffering through conveying their loss of physical and psychological qualities in his anthology of poetry to powerfully explore the brutal impact of human cruelty on individuals. This is evident in his poems, “The Next War” and “Futility” which explore the unorthodox uses of poetic form and satirical language, thus capturing the horror of facing death and experiences of “shell-shock” that became markers of WW1. Thus, Owen effectively challenges the established values of glorious illusion of war falsely presented to his society.

How does Owen’s portrayal of the relationship between youth and war move us to a deeper understanding of suffering? In your response, make detailed reference to at least TWO poems set for study.
Wilfred Owen, reflecting his experience on the Western front, portrays how the close relationship between youth and war causes extreme suffering by revealing a particular group of soldiers’ loss of physical and psychological qualities in his anthology of poetry. This is evident in his poems, “The Next War” and “Futility” which explore the unorthodox uses of poetic form and satirical language, thus capturing the horror of facing death and experiences of “shell-shock” that became markers of WW1. Thus, Owen effectively challenges the established values of glorious illusion of war falsely presented to his society.

Wilfred Owen’s poetry is shaped by an intense focus on extraordinary human experiences. Select TWO poems set for study and explore Owen’s portrayal of suffering and pity.

Wilfred Owen, reflecting on the horrific human experiences at war, explores a particular group of soldiers’ intense suffering through their loss of physical and psychological human qualities and the feeling of pity in his anthology of poetry. This is evident in his poems, “The Next War” and “Futility” which explore the unorthodox uses of poetic form and satirical language, thus capturing the horror of facing death and experiences of “shell-shock” that became markers of WW1. Thus, Owen’s personal experience of war shapes his poetry such that it effectively challenges the established values of glorious illusion of war falsely presented to his society.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #158 on: October 14, 2016, 12:41:13 am »
Okay thanks hopefully that won't happen!
Also, would you be able to give me feedback for my introduction for discovery please?

So seriously sorry we missed this before your exam! With how hectic the site has been I knew we'd miss one, as much as we tried not to, I hope you smashed it! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2016, 12:46:24 am »
+1
Can you check my sample intros and see if i have answered the question and how it can be improved?

Hey Katherine! Quick comments in case you are glancing over this before your exam, good luck! :)

Owen’s poems present the reader with a powerful exploration of the impact of human cruelty on individuals. How does Owen achieve this in his poetry? In your response, make detailed reference to your prescribed text.
Spoiler
Wilfred Owen, reflecting his experience on the Western front, presents the readers a particular group of soldiers’ extreme suffering through conveying their loss of physical and psychological qualities in his anthology of poetry to powerfully explore the brutal impact of human cruelty on individuals. This is evident in his poems, “The Next War” and “Futility” which explore the unorthodox uses of poetic form and satirical language, thus capturing the horror of facing death and experiences of “shell-shock” that became markers of WW1. Thus, Owen effectively challenges the established values of glorious illusion of war falsely presented to his society.

Effective! Be careful not to try to cram too much into your opening sentences. Give yourself room to breathe, take two sentences where you need to!

How does Owen’s portrayal of the relationship between youth and war move us to a deeper understanding of suffering? In your response, make detailed reference to at least TWO poems set for study.
Spoiler
Wilfred Owen, reflecting his experience on the Western front, portrays how the close relationship between youth and war causes extreme suffering by revealing a particular group of soldiers’ loss of physical and psychological qualities in his anthology of poetry. This is evident in his poems, “The Next War” and “Futility” which explore the unorthodox uses of poetic form and satirical language, thus capturing the horror of facing death and experiences of “shell-shock” that became markers of WW1. Thus, Owen effectively challenges the established values of glorious illusion of war falsely presented to his society.

Read the first and last sentence of your introduction; do they match? Make sure your idea stays the same the whole way through! :)

Wilfred Owen’s poetry is shaped by an intense focus on extraordinary human experiences. Select TWO poems set for study and explore Owen’s portrayal of suffering and pity.
'
Spoiler
Wilfred Owen, reflecting on the horrific human experiences at war, explores a particular group of soldiers’ intense suffering through their loss of physical and psychological human qualities and the feeling of pity in his anthology of poetry. This is evident in his poems, “The Next War” and “Futility” which explore the unorthodox uses of poetic form and satirical language, thus capturing the horror of facing death and experiences of “shell-shock” that became markers of WW1. Thus, Owen’s personal experience of war shapes his poetry such that it effectively challenges the established values of glorious illusion of war falsely presented to his society.

This one doesn't quite hit the mark of the question as well as the first one did, not quite getting enough explanation of the suffering and pity stuff. If you added one more sentence linking to the question somewhere this would have been really effective!

Don't be afraid to really take your time with your Thesis paragraphs tomorrow Katherine. You've got great ideas, just make sure that you use all the time you have to really make sure those links are as solid as possible. Good luck ! :)

Aussie1Italia2

• Trailblazer
« Reply #160 on: November 19, 2016, 03:26:58 pm »
Hey!

My first assessment for the HSC is coming up and I'm not entirely too sure if context is a technique or not?

Please and thank you for the help guys!!!
HSC 2017:
English Standard
Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
PDHPE
Italian Beginners

Hoping to do Neuroscience at Uni!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #161 on: November 19, 2016, 04:02:02 pm »
Hey!

My first assessment for the HSC is coming up and I'm not entirely too sure if context is a technique or not?

Please and thank you for the help guys!!!

Hey! Nope, context isn't a technique but instead something that influences how composers use techniques! It influences their message, and often their choice of form (Shakespeare couldn't exactly make a mix-tape to say what he wanted to say) ;) Basically, context is the backdrop for the use of techniques! :)

mm_145678

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Newcastle High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #162 on: December 18, 2016, 07:42:41 pm »
Hi everyone! i was just wondering if any of you guys could recommend a related text for Run Lola Run? I just can't think of any quality visual texts I could use or any visual texts at all haha. Thanks in advance! 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #163 on: December 19, 2016, 12:20:17 am »
Hi everyone! i was just wondering if any of you guys could recommend a related text for Run Lola Run? I just can't think of any quality visual texts I could use or any visual texts at all haha. Thanks in advance!

Hey! I didn't do Discovery and don't know that text, but this is a list of suggestions compiled by Elyse! There could be something useful there? :)

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #164 on: February 12, 2017, 01:04:09 am »
Is it possible and/or reasonable for a Standard student to write like an Advanced student?

2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD