Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:13:54 pm

Author Topic: Looking toward 2017: ask your Psych questions here  (Read 17373 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Looking toward 2017: ask your Psych questions here
« on: November 20, 2016, 02:36:52 pm »
+2
Hello. :)

I completed Psychology in 2012 with a study score of 48. If you're studying Psych next year (or plan to at some point in the future) and are confused about any of the content, feel free to ask questions here. If all goes well (no 100% guarantees, I guess hahaha), I plan to respond to each and every question - and hopefully others will be able to chime in, too! ;D

So if you fancy getting a head-start for Psych 2017, this is the place!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

daisypetals

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Looking toward 2017: ask your Psych questions here
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 06:39:07 pm »
Hello. :)

I completed Psychology in 2012 with a study score of 48. If you're studying Psych next year (or plan to at some point in the future) and are confused about any of the content, feel free to ask questions here. If all goes well (no 100% guarantees, I guess hahaha), I plan to respond to each and every question - and hopefully others will be able to chime in, too! ;D

So if you fancy getting a head-start for Psych 2017, this is the place!

Hi! So I have a few questions:
-What should I be doing with Psychology over the summer holidays? (considering the ne Psych book is not out yet until Feb next year)
-Any good study guide/notes that you recommend?
-What advice can you give me to do well and hopefully get a 45+?
-Does attending holiday lectures (and if so, which company is great for Psych?) or getting a tutor would help?
-Anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance!  :) :)
2017: English, Biology, Psychology, Legal Studies, Chemistry

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 11:19:12 am »
+1
Hey, daisypetals! Welcome to ATAR Notes (even though you first posted in August); I hope you stick around throughout the year! ;D

-What should I be doing with Psychology over the summer holidays? (considering the ne Psych book is not out yet until Feb next year)

That's a bit of a bummer about the textbook. Those silly new study designs!

But no matter - it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Whilst the Psych study design has certainly changed, there's still a lot of relevant stuff from the previous one. My gut feeling is that there's actually been more removed than added (I don't have much substance for this claim), so I guess that's a good thing!

My recommendation, though, is to really nail what VCAA has termed the "Key science skills". Did you do Psych 1/2? Basically research methodologies, experimental designs, ethics and other stuff like that. It might not be explicitly taught much during the year (it's assumed knowledge to an extent), so this is the perfect time for it! :)

Basically, pages 11 to 13 of the new study design. VCAA has been a bit sneaky, I think, because this is detached from the Unit 3 and Unit 4 specifications, so a lot of students will probably miss it! But on the plus side, it's very nicely formatted, now.

-Any good study guide/notes that you recommend?

There are some good, free resources floating around on the interwebz, but I think many of them will now be outdated (due to the study design change). But because Psych is so prominent in general studies, I'd be surprised if resources weren't readily available for most if not all of the new course. And if you go here, there are like, a million notes - all free!

-What advice can you give me to do well and hopefully get a 45+?

Psych has a fair bit of content, so it's pretty risky trying to learn it all in big blocks; you'll invariably miss something. So I found frequent but short study sessions to be useful. I also used a lot of mnemonics to try to learn the content most efficiently and effectively. Your school will probably teach you some, but don't be afraid to make up your own!

And, of course, don't forget to practise actually answering questions throughout the year, because knowing the content in theory and applying it in an exam scenario are two very different things. :-X

-Does attending holiday lectures (and if so, which company is great for Psych?) or getting a tutor would help?

Despite having tutored for several years, to be honest I'm unconvinced on the worth of private tutors. They can be helpful, no doubt, but I'm really not sure that they're worth the money (as a general rule). I didn't have any tutors in Year 12, but ultimately it's your decision!

I also didn't attend any lectures before Year 12 (like, head-start lectures), but if you're that way inclined, you can't go past ATAR Notes' free lectures. ;)

-Anything else I need to know?

Work consistently, try not to cram too much, and you'll be sweet! ;D And again, stick around at ATAR Notes. :) I hope you're having a lovely day!

daisypetals

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 07:29:51 pm »
Omg you're a lifesaver  :) :) I'm sure going to benefit a lot from your reply.
Also, I'm wondering if you write your own Psych notes (from textbook) or simply rely on company study guide/notes back then?
2017: English, Biology, Psychology, Legal Studies, Chemistry

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
  • djkhaled305 is the key to success
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 07:45:01 pm »
+1
Also, I'm wondering if you write your own Psych notes (from textbook) or simply rely on company study guide/notes back then?
Depends what kind of learner you are!

I personally wrote down notes during year and class (rushed notes) and then for end of year exam prep I used company notes - I didn't find much use in going over my own notes and there'd be some gaps in my notes.

This way I saved a heap of time (note taking takes fking forever, especially for a content subject) -- valuable time you could be using to do questions!
Fuck you english your eyebrows aren't even good
Why walk when you can stand on the shoulders of giants?

icecream52

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 01:09:08 am »
yiss okay
but are the notes that can only be obtained through attending company lectures (tsfx/tssm/neap) worth the high price? $100+ uhuhuhu

actually pls teach me how to learn stuff for long term
is it just constantly revising info and doing questions?

thanku my dude
plz help!!! in dire need of a vce english tutor

texts:
(A) - all about eve (analytical)
- burial rites (creative)

(B) - penelopiad/bombshells (comparative)

(C)- language analysis

located near niddrie, looking for a tutor to come to my house

please mssg me with ur credentials if ya keen $$$ ;D ;D

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 07:46:03 am »
+1

No problem. :) As I said, it'd be great to see you around throughout the year!

I wrote my own. Sometimes I'd base them on other notes (an independent company's notes, the textbook, whatever else), but I'd still handwrite them. I personally found handwriting stuff to be great for memory consolidation.

yiss okay
but are the notes that can only be obtained through attending company lectures (tsfx/tssm/neap) worth the high price? $100+ uhuhuhu

actually pls teach me how to learn stuff for long term
is it just constantly revising info and doing questions?

thanku my dude

I don't think so myself, but that's not to say that you wouldn't value them that highly. But I think $100 could go a lot further than notes from private companies when there are such good alternatives at a cheaper price. Although I should note that I've never used notes from those aforementioned companies, so I guess I can't comment fully - but they're certainly not necessary.

Regarding long-term recall, I think you've hit the nail on the head! Just consistency. Something else I recommend is making content relevant to you. So if you're making a mnemonic, make it something that you're interested in. For example, I really like cricket, so if I had to remember the (randomly selected) letters of GJJSFF, I might remember it as:

Gilchrist
Just
Jabs
Sixes
For
Fun

And then associate Adam Gilchrist with whatever it is that I'm trying to learn (does that make sense?). :)

hola

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 01:20:03 pm »
I'm picking Psych 3/4 up next year without the 1/2, how should I catch up?

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 09:07:08 am »
I'm picking Psych 3/4 up next year without the 1/2, how should I catch up?

Hey, hola! :)

I don't think you have too much to worry about, but if I were in your situation, I'd be focusing on what VCAA has now termed the "Key science skills". As I noted earlier in this thread, I'd be looking at pages 11 to 13 of the study design. :) This is knowledge applicable to Unit 1 all the way through Unit 4.

Others may disagree, but that's what I'd do!

All the best. :)

motivated99

• Trailblazer
  • School: hello
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 09:30:43 am »
i'm doing psych 3/4 next year and since the textbook is not out yet, I really don't know where to begin. I want to start making basic notes to get a headstart but I have no idea what to base notes off of right now. should I make notes using the unit 1/2 textbook for now?

hola

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 12:18:41 pm »
Hey, hola! :)

I don't think you have too much to worry about, but if I were in your situation, I'd be focusing on what VCAA has now termed the "Key science skills". As I noted earlier in this thread, I'd be looking at pages 11 to 13 of the study design. :) This is knowledge applicable to Unit 1 all the way through Unit 4.

Others may disagree, but that's what I'd do!

All the best. :)

Hello! Thanks for the reply. Do you have any recommended resources that would help me catch up on these skills? Also, is there any content that I need to learn (I've been told that there's some overlap with the new study design?).

Thanks in advance for all help :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 12:54:19 pm »
+1
i'm doing psych 3/4 next year and since the textbook is not out yet, I really don't know where to begin. I want to start making basic notes to get a headstart but I have no idea what to base notes off of right now. should I make notes using the unit 1/2 textbook for now?

Hey motivated99,

Good question! It's a shame about the whole textbook thing.

I think a lot of the existing resources would be outdated, but only in the sense that they include things that are no longer listed in the study design. Unlike some other subjects, there's really not much that has changed in Psych - just added or deleted. Does that make sense?

As such, I think a lot of the existing resources would still actually be very helpful. Do you happen to have one of the old 3/4 textbooks? If not, the Engage Wiki has good, albeit outdated, content.

I've been looking at the "Key science skills" stuff recently, and pretty much all of that is consistent with the previous study design, so I'd get stuck into that if you can. :)

Hello! Thanks for the reply. Do you have any recommended resources that would help me catch up on these skills? Also, is there any content that I need to learn (I've been told that there's some overlap with the new study design?).

Thanks in advance for all help :)

Hey hola,

To add to my response to motivated99 above (which is relevant to your question, too), I'll add that I'm planning to add my entire tutoring notes (100+ pages) to the free notes section of AN, which you can find here. I'm sure that there are some other great notes there, too. :) My notes are for the previous study design but, as noted above (and also in your post), there's a fair bit of overlap with the new one.

Would y'all find it useful if I made a summary of the changes from the previous study design? Then you could confidently work through the stuff that has remained. If people are interested, I can get onto this. :)

motivated99

• Trailblazer
  • School: hello
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 01:01:48 pm »
Would y'all find it useful if I made a summary of the changes from the previous study design? Then you could confidently work through the stuff that has remained. If people are interested, I can get onto this. :)

yes please !! that would be amazing :) and thank you for answering my question. I don't have a 3/4 textbook right now so I'll probably use online resources for now

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 11:37:27 am »
+1
yes please !! that would be amazing :) and thank you for answering my question. I don't have a 3/4 textbook right now so I'll probably use online resources for now

No problem! Here it is for now: A summary of changes to the 2017+ study design

It's still a bit of a work in progress. :) I actually didn't realise how much great content they'd taken out!

Mooshkat

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 09:56:31 pm »
hi :)
In regards to the course, did you find that certain topics were more prevalent in exams/more important or is it all pretty equal?
Thanks!