Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:03:23 am

Author Topic: Son of a bitch! Monash Authcate system.  (Read 14440 times)  Share 

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
Re: Son of a bitch! Monash Authcate system.
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2008, 09:59:29 pm »
Oh! Ninox... you got credit for unimaths, right? Which pair of mathematics subjects did you get told to do?

cara.mel

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2008, 10:01:18 pm »
I have no compulsory units. :(

aidansteele

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2008, 10:22:43 pm »
yeh, I was thinking of the future rather than first year... ::) whoops...
Well having said that, apart from choosing my eng discipline, chemistry and my maths units (1030 and 2010), I could even skip 1030 if what nash said to me afterwards holds, all I need to worry about is Physics vs biology. I didnt do vce bio, so should I do this bio to prepare me for the future physio bits, or should I do physics to strengthen/broaden my chem / mat eng outlook?  :o I didn't realise until last night that we only had to choose this stuff.
aidan, u wouldn't happen to be related to Ian steele, perhaps, IT teacher, calls himself the "Man of Steele?"

In reverse order: Nope, no relation. I don't have any relatives in this hemisphere :P

I suppose there is quite a bit to think about, in most cases. I'm fairly dead set on what I want to do and what I need to have done to achieve it, so it was a no-brainer for me. I do realise, though, that not everyone is as certain!

Given what you've said, I think you're better off doing the biology units. Right now you probably have minimal knowledge of biology and human physiology, so you don't want your first taste of biology education to be at university level two or later! This is compared to your post-VCE understand of physics, will be further built-upon by your engineering studies. I hope this helps :)
VTAC Offer Combubulator! - See who is doing your course - http://aidans.org/offers/

DrowNz

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2008, 11:02:25 pm »

Right now you probably have minimal knowledge of biology and human physiology, so you don't want your first taste of biology education to be at university level two or later! This is compared to your post-VCE understand of physics, will be further built-upon by your engineering studies. I hope this helps :)
Level 2 courses aren't necessarily harder than level 1 courses..
Tuition in Biology, ESL & Hebrew Available.

Contact me at [email protected]

aidansteele

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2008, 11:06:30 pm »

Right now you probably have minimal knowledge of biology and human physiology, so you don't want your first taste of biology education to be at university level two or later! This is compared to your post-VCE understand of physics, will be further built-upon by your engineering studies. I hope this helps :)
Level 2 courses aren't necessarily harder than level 1 courses..

Well, that's what we were told by the woman giving the pre-enrolment lecture on science to double-degree students. As a general rule of thumb, I would guess it holds true most of the time. :)
VTAC Offer Combubulator! - See who is doing your course - http://aidans.org/offers/

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 01:24:39 am »
It's not necessarily hard (you'll find units at coded at 2nd year, but are taught with 1st and 3rd years)...but the standard expected of you will be higher...

Of course, it's going to be hard in that it builds on prior knowledge.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

Ninox

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • vive le science!
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2008, 05:32:05 pm »
i ended up choosing bio today, I'm not too fussed anymore - for now. formal enrolment is over!

Oh! Ninox... you got credit for unimaths, right? Which pair of mathematics subjects did you get told to do?
enwiabe, seeing as how ur also doing a double degree with ENG, ur probably in a similar boat. I don't know which is ur managing faculty though. check the pre-reqs and especially prohibitions of your available maths units. MTH1030 and MTH2010 are the ones I was told to do, although WES gave me an error for 1030 because I'd already done MAT1085, leaving me with a gap in semester 1.  :laugh:
 if aerosci/eng is managed by the science faculty, I think your maths units might have the prefix MAT rather than MTH and have different codes.
generally: apply for the maths you think is right for you, then wait for the credit apps to be processed. you'll be better informed then.
I've grown to hate the fact that often several names apply to several units with the same content  :knuppel2:

2006: Engineering Studies 45 (Premier's Award), Religion and Societies 39
2007: Methods 45, Spesh 46, Chem 50, Physics 41, Literature 39, MUEP Maths 5.5
ENTER: 99.60
Science/Engineering @ Monash; Mat'ls Eng; Chem, Physiology?

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2008, 05:42:14 pm »
It's not necessarily hard (you'll find units at coded at 2nd year, but are taught with 1st and 3rd years)...but the standard expected of you will be higher...

Of course, it's going to be hard in that it builds on prior knowledge.

I might add that my current summer unit (coded FIT2002 - level 2 unit) is actually being taught from postgraduate courseware...(a level 5 unit).
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

hellomotto

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2008, 09:37:08 pm »

With Authcate once you submit is that it or can you play around with units afterwards?

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2008, 09:55:08 pm »
You use your authcate to log into WES to do that.

Some faculties won't let you enrol in units until your enrolment day.
Former Global Moderator