Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 11:20:31 am

Author Topic: Changing preferences now  (Read 808 times)  Share 

friedjelly

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Changing preferences now
« on: January 19, 2017, 05:42:46 pm »
Hey guys,

I received my first preference yesterday, but I've been having a change of mind. I've changed my preferences on VTACs and hope to be able to choose between the 2 offers.
As suggested by everyone, I will accept the first round offer, but does accepting an offer mean the same as enrolling? Or is there an option for me to accept but not enrol?
If so, are there fees for enrolling in my original first pref and then declining it and accepting a second round offer?
Also, if everyone accepts their first round offer (as suggested by many career advisers), how are there any offers still in round 2?

Cheers :)
2015: Biology, Accounting
2016: Literature, Japanese, Methods, Physical Education

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Changing preferences now
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 06:07:31 pm »
+1
Yes accepting an offer will usually require you to enrol in the subjects for the first semester. However, you are still able to withdraw as normal :)

There are no fees if you withdraw from the course before the census date (end of March) as set by the commonwealth government (for HECS etc)

There are a certain number of places for courses, and perhaps not all of them are issued in Round 1. For example, the uni may set an enrolment cap of 200 students for something like Science but only get 150 preferences, therefore 50 remain for the other rounds (hypothetical - I actually have no idea re: numbers).

As the rounds progress, the chances of an applicant receiving an offer for a specified course decreases. Majority of the course places are taken in round 1. Hence why it is important that everyone has a plan B, just incase :).

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:12:49 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile