Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 06:30:48 am

Author Topic: Choosing the right related text!  (Read 70699 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Choosing the right related text!
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2016, 07:52:00 pm »
Hello! Just watched Kubo and The Two Strings recently and I thought it was an absolutely lovely movie. It really tugged at the heartstrings (*coughs*) and appeals to me because there's a distinct lack of dynamic visual texts for my Advanced course this year. I know of some who've chosen Coraline as a related text for Discovery, so I was wondering what the rest of you thought about using Kubo? I'll admit the relationships it portrays are somewhat simplistic, but there's a lot beyond that to talk about, not to mention it'd be a great opportunity to look at a story from a different cultural and historical context. If you think it doesn't necessarily fit the Discovery rubric, what would you say to using it as a related for Representing People and Landscapes?

Hey ChocolateWaffle! It sounds like you've put some good thought into this. I haven't watched Kubo and the Two Strings, but I've just quickly googled to get an idea about it all. Looking at different cultural and historical perspectives could actually be wonderful for discovery - particularly if you're looking at the ways discoveries are experienced from different stand points. In fact, I think looking into stand point some more, and how people bring their different perspectives to a situation, could be what makes your work so astounding!

Similarly, People and Landscapes and this text could work wonderfully as well. I used the same related for AOS and for Mod C, so you could do that as well potentially!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

ChocolateWaffle

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2016, 05:26:53 pm »
Hey ChocolateWaffle! It sounds like you've put some good thought into this. I haven't watched Kubo and the Two Strings, but I've just quickly googled to get an idea about it all. Looking at different cultural and historical perspectives could actually be wonderful for discovery - particularly if you're looking at the ways discoveries are experienced from different stand points. In fact, I think looking into stand point some more, and how people bring their different perspectives to a situation, could be what makes your work so astounding!

Similarly, People and Landscapes and this text could work wonderfully as well. I used the same related for AOS and for Mod C, so you could do that as well potentially!

Hello elyse! (I hope I can call you that, everyone else seems to and it's a pretty name to type ;) )
I thought so too, mostly because it's a good alternative against those who'll be doing Go Back for as their prescribed text. I reconsidered it, and I do feel the visuals themselves support Mod C, whereas the plot would support Discovery sufficiently enough. And it is a visual text, so I think saving it for Mod C would be more effective in terms of analysis at least. But wow, I wish it had occurred to me earlier that I could use one related for both modules! I do have this one other visual I could analyse for AOS (it's a picture book), but I'm wondering whether an actual film might be a more solidly 'visual' text, considering my prescribed is a novel and my second related is a short story?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2016, 04:13:03 pm »
Hello elyse! (I hope I can call you that, everyone else seems to and it's a pretty name to type ;) )
I thought so too, mostly because it's a good alternative against those who'll be doing Go Back for as their prescribed text. I reconsidered it, and I do feel the visuals themselves support Mod C, whereas the plot would support Discovery sufficiently enough. And it is a visual text, so I think saving it for Mod C would be more effective in terms of analysis at least. But wow, I wish it had occurred to me earlier that I could use one related for both modules! I do have this one other visual I could analyse for AOS (it's a picture book), but I'm wondering whether an actual film might be a more solidly 'visual' text, considering my prescribed is a novel and my second related is a short story?

Elyse will do just fine :)

I think that your decision here comes down to what you prefer analysing: stills or motions? I find that it's easier to analyse a still text, because you just look at one frame and pick everything apart. But, I think it's easier to talk about motion visuals like films, because you throw in the sound mode as well which is really important. So, the initial analysis is easier for me with a visual text but I find that my analysis of films is better, because I'll bounce between sonic and visual techniques.

If you can double up and do one related text for both modules, I think you're streamlining your study a fair bit! But that's only if the text naturally applies itself well to both, otherwise you're just making work for yourself by trying to force a text into a module that it doesn't cling to!

meems__

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2017, 04:03:05 pm »
Hello, does anyone have good related text suggestions for 'intellectual' discovery, preferably to go with Dobson's prescribed poems? Thank you very much! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2017, 04:51:24 pm »
Hello, does anyone have good related text suggestions for 'intellectual' discovery, preferably to go with Dobson's prescribed poems? Thank you very much! :)

Hey! Welcome to the forums! ;D

I can't answer your question specifically, but you might want to check out this list of potential ORT's. It includes films, novels, and other text types - It might have something for you!

I hope it helps :) let me know if you need help finding things around the site!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2017, 07:27:15 pm »

I'm not doubting your understanding of intellectual discovery - but be sure to consider it outside of the academic realm. When I first approached intellectual discoveries I looked at it as relating to intellect: the quantifiable process of accurately reasoning. Over time I realised it just has to do with reasoning: whether or not it is accurate or quantifiable. So it has a lot to do with perspective: how someone comes to reason a certain way, how they come to approach situations objectively.

With that, any related text that offers a shift in perspective based on someone's thought/reasoning process is a great choice. Readers can also make intellectual discoveries through a text. The link Jamon suggested will give you lots of ideas. I'll draw to your attention to Neigbours by Tim Winton and Kate Chopin's The Story of an Hour. They're short stories!

Mayalily

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2017, 09:54:17 pm »
+2
Hey,
I'd like to preface this by saying that I'm just a student as well, in the same boat as you; but I found that something that really helped me was looking at suggested text lists from places like the Library of NSW (see attached). They also have other great sources about the AOS which I also found pretty valuable - this for example: http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/printpdf/51061.

Hope this is useful!

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2017, 11:54:20 pm »
 Hey Elyse! Would paintings/other artworks be considers as ORT ?
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2017, 12:15:07 pm »
Hey,
I'd like to preface this by saying that I'm just a student as well, in the same boat as you; but I found that something that really helped me was looking at suggested text lists from places like the Library of NSW (see attached). They also have other great sources about the AOS which I also found pretty valuable - this for example: http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/printpdf/51061.

Hope this is useful!

Legend! What a great resource, thanks for sharing! ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2017, 12:17:47 pm »

Hey Dalvin! Artworks/paintings work, but you do need to be able to get a solid level of conceptual and analytical depth. There needs to be techniques and layers of complexity to the work. Basically, you need stuff to talk about. My opinion would be that normally, paintings wouldn't quite suit the purpose. Purely because you don't have as much to discuss. That said, if you think you've got an exception, it is definitely something you can use! ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2017, 12:34:35 pm »
+1

Adding on to Jamon's opinion..I've seldom seen great still-visual related texts. Humans of New York (blog/photographs) is an EXCELLENT discovery related text that you could consider an artwork through photographic installation/documentation. Picasso's Guernica has been done a few times and often reasonably well. So, they definitely can be considered related texts, but you need to find a good one!

samuels1999

• Adventurer
  • "Expectation is the root of all heartache." -W.S.
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2017, 02:18:18 pm »
Hi Elyse,

I just wanted to know if you could recommend some visual texts that could work with the Discovery AOS.
I haven't been able to find one that isn't too simple yet has the obvious theme of discover in it along with a variety of techniques.

Thanks,
Samuel
"If you can't explain it simply, you do not understand it well enough" -Albert Einstein
Year 12 2017
Subjects: Adv. English, Mathematics, Mathematics Ext 1, Modern History, Physics, Design and Technology
....yeah....its a pretty odd bunch

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2017, 02:28:00 pm »
Hi Elyse,

I just wanted to know if you could recommend some visual texts that could work with the Discovery AOS.
I haven't been able to find one that isn't too simple yet has the obvious theme of discover in it along with a variety of techniques.

Thanks,
Samuel

Elyse just recommended Humans of New York, which I massively agree with. Never used it academically but it is a fantastic collection of photographs and writing that, when used right, I'm sure would work really well for the AoS ;D

Sukakadonkadonk

• Forum Regular
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2017, 04:32:12 pm »
Hello,

Do you guys have any recommendations on a related text for Aos which could also work and help with module C?
Not sure if this helps but my core text for Aos is short history of nearly everything and for mod c it is brave new world.

Thanks!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2017, 05:03:33 pm »
Hello,

Do you guys have any recommendations on a related text for Aos which could also work and help with module C?
Not sure if this helps but my core text for Aos is short history of nearly everything and for mod c it is brave new world.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!

V for Vendetta is definitely worth consideration ;D

The transformation of the protagonist, the society, and other characters play a pivotal role in the composers choice of techniques, and the dystopian world space works well with the plot of your prescribed text for Module C. A super conceptual, super sophisticated text packed with techniques; and it's a great film too (Imo) ;D