Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:26:12 pm

Author Topic: How to study at uni?  (Read 1170 times)  Share 

Musa O

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How to study at uni?
« on: August 31, 2016, 02:06:50 pm »
I'm in year 12 and doing the Maquarie uni Big History Mooc. It says you should spend around 2-4 hours studying but there are so many resources to watch,  read and listen to! So I wanted to ask, is this standard at uni? If so, how are you meant to work with this many resources?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: How to study at uni?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 02:22:29 pm »
I'm in year 12 and doing the Maquarie uni Big History Mooc. It says you should spend around 2-4 hours studying but there are so many resources to watch,  read and listen to! So I wanted to ask, is this standard at uni? If so, how are you meant to work with this many resources?
Actually remaking post. Firstly a disclaimer: I know nothing about what that is.

But yeah, if you really want to do well then 2-4 hours sounds fair. Whether or not it's easier than high-school is relative to each person, but it's definitely a whole lot more content.

And I basically just work with whatever resources I have available to me. It doesn't mean I use every single thing out there, but if I want my HDs I use a lot.

ChickenCh0wM1en

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +102
Re: How to study at uni?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 11:45:14 pm »
This is a response from interstate (Vic) and I studied Science (Neuroscience) for 3 years so I'm not sure if this is relevant to you.

I'm a little confused to what you mean by 2-4hrs - is this daily, weekly? For all subjects or per subject?

Personally, I think the first few months of uni you're still trying to get your groove on things especially to do with study habits. You've pretty much got to find what works best for you.
I know quite a few who studied hours each day and still scored lower in comparison to their peers who studied significantly less. In my opinion, it's about doing some trial and error to what works best and studying smart.
BSc (2015), MD1 (2016)
Tutoring in 2016: http://www.tutorfinder.com.au/tutors/detail.php?TutorID=78301
Chuck a PM if interested :)

Available for tutoring on the summer holidays for university subjects or VCe.
Also tutoring for the Melbourne uni MMIs (medical/physiotherapy interviews)

Please don't PM me for lecture slides or recordings. I don't have them anymore.