Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:55:39 am

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 851380 times)  Share 

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
  • Be yourself and be your best self.
  • Respect: +19
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #1335 on: August 25, 2016, 12:44:37 pm »
does anyone have a good list of techniques used in lang analysis? like rhetoric question, anaphora,etc. An extensive list would be great, but any would do (cant find in notes section)- thanks guys :)

I've found 3. Don't know if anyone else can find more:
http://resources.mhs.vic.edu.au/englishenrichment/analysisoflanguage.htm
http://wiki.engageeducation.org.au/english/language-analysis/
http://www.vcestudyguides.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2010/09/Persuasive-Techniques-Insight-Outcomes1.pdf

Hope you're okay with online resources.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 06:56:33 pm by FallingStar »

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #1336 on: August 25, 2016, 02:16:32 pm »
i know this is vague, but what are lets say the 3,4,5 most common mistakes students make in Language Analysis?
again, what the are most common mistakes for context and text response? thank you
edit: more q's
1) again , really vague, but with a quote bank, roughly how many quotes should one have? a rough number would be nice, i know its vague , but thanks :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 02:20:40 pm by HasibA »
Uni and life

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #1337 on: August 25, 2016, 03:58:39 pm »
i know this is vague, but what are lets say the 3,4,5 most common mistakes students make in Language Analysis?
again, what the are most common mistakes for context and text response? thank you
1) again , really vague, but with a quote bank, roughly how many quotes should one have? a rough number would be nice, i know its vague , but thanks :)

Language Analysis: "The writer does X to make the reader interested" and my all time favourite of all time "There is a question mark, therefore it is a rhetorical question and this is supposed to make the reader think." These are all quotes from essays I've marked/read over for friends and classmates.

Gogo14

• Forum Obsessive
  • when life gives you lemons... takeum and shareum
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1338 on: August 25, 2016, 06:57:41 pm »

The government should Ban the current Australian policy on asylum seekers(or something like that. I'm aff, and just need help on the argument for human rights. Don't know how to explain why rights are important.
Please post your specific debate topic and wether you are affirmative or negative. It is really difficult for us to come up with arguments without us knowing what you topic is.  :D
2016: Bio[45]
2017: Eng[43];Chem[47];Methods[49];Spesh[46];Physics[44]
2018+: B-Biomed @unimelb

PM if want help/advice | VCE tutoring available too- just PM

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #1339 on: August 29, 2016, 10:16:09 am »
anyone go over the main differences between style and tone? examples? thanks guys :)
edit: my teacher says generally examiners do not like diary entries in context pieces, is this true?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:46:25 am by HasibA »
Uni and life

maylovesgelati

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1340 on: August 29, 2016, 11:25:48 am »
When writing a text response, should we write our body paragraphs in order of importance or in reverse order of importance? As in write our best ideas first or write them last?

Maz

• West Australian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #1341 on: August 29, 2016, 02:04:38 pm »
When writing a text response, should we write our body paragraphs in order of importance or in reverse order of importance? As in write our best ideas first or write them last?
In all honesty I don't think it really matters much; either way, it's going to get written and marked. Try and get it in an order that flows; so if you talk about point of view first for example; it kind of ties into everything and will lead to other things like how the characterisation of x character is (which is influenced by the point of view). Just make sure you actually finish the essay (if in doubt of this happening do the good ones first). You could have a really good paragraph fist, the worst one second and another really good one last- could be one way it could be structured.
2016: Methods | Chem | Physics | Accounting | Literature

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
  • Be yourself and be your best self.
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #1342 on: August 29, 2016, 06:58:06 pm »
+2
I'm not Lauren but I shall answer your questions to the best of my abilities.

It doesn't really matter that much. As mq123 has said, you should write in the order that flows the most. Say your body paragraph is about these:
(assuming a thematic prompt)
1. Major characters and how they show a certain theme.
2. Minor character and how they show a certain theme.
3. Symbols and how they show a theme.
4. Events and how they show a theme.

You can order your essay in 1,2,4,3 or 4,1,2,3. Just as long as the order makes sense, and as long as you can link your paragraphs to the next, then you should be fine.

Common mistakes in Language Analysis (In my opinion)
Technique spotting
This is when in a language analysis, all you do is to spot out the techniques, but you do not analyse the effects, as in the how and the why. Eg. The writer uses a mired of questions. Then, he uses a personal anecdote. And so on... This is called language analysis for a reason. Your aim is to analyse the language intentions, not to write every technique you can think of down.

Missing the "how" or the "why"
This is very similar to the above, but is more about the lack of analysis instead of none at all. Eg. There is a personal anecdote, encouraging the readers to feel sympathy for the writer.

Being repetitive
With something like language analysis, it is very common for people to be repetitive as it is a very structured piece. Sometimes, this can be due to a lack of vocabulary. Other times, the structure of the essay is formulaic, which are responses that examiner are already sick of. (I've been told off for this)

Evaluating rather than analysing
Pretty much what is says. Sometimes, this is done unintentionally but it is nonetheless a mistake I've seen people make (and I am an offender too). Eg. Piece A is more persuasive than piece B, this piece is very persuasive, this piece is not very persuasive overall.

About your quotes question...
An examiner talk about context in my school quite recently, and for context, he said that you need to memories 10-15 quotes about your context. That means that for text response, you may need ~20 quotes. On the contrary, it is better to memories 15 really good quotes you can apply to any essay topic than to memories 30 quotes that you are rarely use in your text response essays. Do not let these numbers be definitive as you should focus on memorising quality quotes as opposed to many really not-so-good quotes.

The government should Ban the current Australian policy on asylum seekers(or something like that. I'm aff, and just need help on the argument for human rights. Don't know how to explain why rights are important.
Think about the UN declaration of human rights. Read them carefully. They had came after the world wars where governments were very cruel to the minorities. Also, we've been roasted by the UN for a policy as such. You could argue that it makes us a cruel nation in terms of how we treat refugees and that does not make for a good rep. overseas. Like what would other countries think of us. (Of course when you are actually debating, don't put it in my words as this is too casual for DAV). As I probably explained it badly, I suggest ask anyone doing global politics 3/4 about this issue. They probably know better than me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:04:21 pm by FallingStar »

One Step at a Time

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +3
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1343 on: August 30, 2016, 04:59:09 pm »
Hi everyone  ;D

Pretty general question about text response topics:

How do you answer questions that ask how the text shows the importance of a theme?

How do you tackle this kind of prompt? Totally lost as to what the topics sentences/ contention could be... I can't base each paragraph on a theme since the essay itself is on a theme...

e.g. How does Gattaca show the importance of social class?

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1344 on: August 30, 2016, 05:08:09 pm »
Hi everyone  ;D

Pretty general question about text response topics:

How do you answer questions that ask how the text shows the importance of a theme?

How do you tackle this kind of prompt? Totally lost as to what the topics sentences/ contention could be... I can't base each paragraph on a theme since the essay itself is on a theme...

e.g. How does Gattaca show the importance of social class?

I'm well aware of the fact that my approach is not necessarily the most... erm... conventional when it comes to these prompts.

But I tackle these prompts by basically centering my discussion on elements of the text that showcase the theme and the different aspects of the theme that the text explores.

One Step at a Time

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1345 on: August 30, 2016, 07:01:23 pm »
Hi HopefulLawStudent!

Thanks for your reply :D

What are you referring to when you said "elements of the text" and "the different aspects of the film"?

One Step at a Time

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1346 on: August 30, 2016, 07:17:42 pm »
Did some thinking and came up with ideas for 2 of the paragraphs for the topic "How does Gattaca show the importance of class division?"

Para 1: The society of Gattaca is based on class division.
-Talk about the nature of this society and how it come about
-Talk about why the citizens were wiling to accept this

Para 2: Some characters challenge the class system though...

Is what I'm talking about for each paragraph on track? I'm so confused as to how to break the prompt down into topic sentences and the contention  :(

taylorcrivari

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1347 on: August 31, 2016, 02:33:50 pm »
I have my last English SAC coming up, which is a text response to In The Country of Men. The prompt we've been given to write a draft on is, "How does the dominance of men affect Suleiman?". Can someone please help me in working out how to structure the piece and what topics to discuss? I'm lost  :-[
English // Business Management  // Health & HD // Physical Education // Geography

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1348 on: September 01, 2016, 09:27:09 am »
+2
Hi HopefulLawStudent!

Thanks for your reply :D

What are you referring to when you said "elements of the text" and "the different aspects of the theme"?

So like what is the director saying about the theme? So like for the prompt you've supplied... What is Niccol saying about class division? How does he/the film demonstrate that it's important? Are there instances in the film wherein Niccol is arguing that class division ISN'T important? All stuff that I would personally want to explore in an essay.

I have my last English SAC coming up, which is a text response to In The Country of Men. The prompt we've been given to write a draft on is, "How does the dominance of men affect Suleiman?". Can someone please help me in working out how to structure the piece and what topics to discuss? I'm lost  :-[

Well, what've you got so far and what are you stuck on? No one on AN will ever do your work for you; we will endeavour to help you as much as we can but you need to give us something to work with too. :)

One Step at a Time

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1349 on: September 01, 2016, 07:22:51 pm »
Thanks so much HopefulLawStudent!

How would I centre my paragraphs on what Niccol is saying about class division (element of the text) as you said?