Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 01:45:30 am

Author Topic: vox nihili's VCE BIOLOGY Tutoring in the CBD  (Read 1668 times)  Share 

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
vox nihili's VCE BIOLOGY Tutoring in the CBD
« on: November 29, 2016, 04:43:38 pm »
+6
Hi there!

My real name is Travis and I have been a tutor for about five years now in Geelong. Next year, however, I will begin to offer my services in Melbourne (finally making the big move, *yikes*).

Experience

The thing that probably most sets me apart from other tutors is the breadth of experience I have had in this space. I have been extremely fortunate to be involved in two programmes at the University of Melbourne—called SWOT and VCESS—that have allowed me to work with students from disadvantaged backgrounds. These programmes have seen me lecture Biology, run classes and, next year, I will be co-head of a team responsible for the training and development of nearly 200 tutors.
Some of the roles I have held include:

-SWOT: Biology Assistant Lecturer (2014), Biology Subject Co-Ordinator (2015-16)
-VCESS: Biology Tutor and Spanish Subject Coordinator (2015-16), Teaching Support Officer (2016), Co-Head of the Teaching Support Office (2017)
-VCAA Plain English Speaking Award: State Finals Adjudicator (2015-16)
-University of Melbourne Medical Students Society: Peer Tutoring Programme Pathology Vice Co-Ordinator (2017)

Also relevant to my experience as a Biology tutor is the fact that I continue to study Biology as an MD student at the University of Melbourne. I have also completed a Bachelor of Biomedicine (Biochemistry & Molecular Biology), which makes me well placed to deal with the new content introduced as a part of the 2016- Biology Study Design.

Approach

My approach to tutoring is one that emphasises the student's role in their own learning. Too many tutors merely spoonfeed their students information, without helping their students develop the skills needed to succeed in the sciences. In my tutes, I aim to broaden my students' approach to Biology, teach techniques to better understand and recall information and also provide targeted instruction in how to achieve high scores on SACs and exams. This approach requires students who are motivated to learn, irrespective of whether they're top or bottom of their class!

Contact Me

For more information or to book a place, PM me here—feel free to leave an e-mail or a phone number if you're not an AN regular. I spend quite a bit of time here so no doubt I'll get to it really quickly. :))

UPDATE: there are only three places left
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 05:07:15 pm by vox nihili »
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: vox nihili's VCE BIOLOGY Tutoring in the CBD
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 09:18:56 pm »