Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 03:25:54 am

Author Topic: Multiple choice help  (Read 959 times)  Share 

nickglyn

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Multiple choice help
« on: October 26, 2016, 02:55:38 pm »
Hey guys. So I was doing this paper recently and I don't know how they got the answers for them  :( for q 18, I don't really know how to do. But q19, my answer was D, because I thought the higher electrical resistance would mean induced eddy currents would lose a lot of their energy in the form of heat...can someone please explain why the answer is C?

Much appreciated!

(for some reason, it won't allow me to upload a screenshot from the two questions. It's questions 18 & 19 from the MC of 2012 physics!)

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
Re: Multiple choice help
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 03:03:53 pm »
Hey guys. So I was doing this paper recently and I don't know how they got the answers for them  :( for q 18, I don't really know how to do. But q19, my answer was D, because I thought the higher electrical resistance would mean induced eddy currents would lose a lot of their energy in the form of heat...can someone please explain why the answer is C?

Much appreciated!

(for some reason, it won't allow me to upload a screenshot from the two questions. It's questions 18 & 19 from the MC of 2012 physics!)

For 19, we know that

Now, position x is however far from the center of the earth (let's call it r), and position y is an extra half-distance (so 1.5r). Thus

Where M is the mass of the planet, and m is the mass of the thing.

Putting Fx over Fy will 2.25, making the answer C.

As for 19, I had thought that you should have a high resistance as well. I thought that for my entire year 12 year; looks like I was wrong! I guess you just want to the electrons spinning as fast as possible, because if they're spinning faster they can consistently lose a lot of energy as heat. I guess that's just one to remember!
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

nickglyn

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0