Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:17:03 am

Author Topic: Biomedicine at Monash or Melbourne?  (Read 2214 times)  Share 

50naw

Biomedicine at Monash or Melbourne?
« on: November 28, 2016, 05:43:06 pm »
Hey guys, so I'm aiming to get into biomedicine at either of those two Universities however I'm having trouble in deciding which one. So far the pros for Monash are that it is closer than Melbourne and that Monash's post-grad medical program has reserved seats for Biomedicine students which lets high achieving students bypass GAMSAT. The pros for Melbourne at least to me are the breadth subjects, the fact that I have an older brother who did the exact course (might have the same books and all) and I guess the overall environment that might be appealing. So I was wondering if anyone who has done either of the two would be willing to give their two cents? I personally feel like the intrinsic value of the two courses are essentially equal...

Keru

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Biomedicine at Monash or Melbourne?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 09:47:04 am »
Hey! I'm not looking into BioMed but some of my friends are and from what I know Monash is more reliable? Melbourne can (I think) kick you out at any time if you aren't keeping up to standard while at Monash once you get a place there you are pretty much guaranteed a degree (if you pass your subject, obviously). So I guess I would take that into consideration? And, although Melbourne has better appearances and prestige Monash is quickly rising up the ranks by having an overall better program. Personally, my first choice is Melbourne because aesthetics matter to me and I just prefer it heart wise but Monash is definitely my backup because head wise it's a good choice.

cheeseeeee

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: G
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: Biomedicine at Monash or Melbourne?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 02:04:25 pm »
I don't do biomed, but I have a couple of friends who do the course, at Melbourne Uni and at Monash Uni! From what I've heard, they're both very competitive environments as most students intend to gain admission to med school or into dentistry or optometry etc. I feel like Melbourne Uni may have  a slightly higher calibre of students, given that the ATAR requirement is much higher (something like 98+ I think?), and it really depends on the people you hang around with, whether they can be ultra competitive or supportive (I've met both types). However, in my personal opinion, I think that Monash Uni may be a better bet, as there are guaranteed spots for Monash biomed students for the med program, which is less risky than Melbourne Uni (there's a similar program where if you get some sort of ATAR like 99+, as long as you maintain 'x' GPA, you'll be guaranteed a spot in the med program and don't have to sit for the GAMSAT).

Melbourne Uni is yes a much more beautiful campus, and it is within the city and such but I would recommend to compare the subject units and take travel time into consideration!