Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:17:37 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Exam - Language Analysis Discussion  (Read 26771 times)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
VCE English Exam - Language Analysis Discussion
« on: October 26, 2016, 11:36:59 am »
+10
Hey everyone! This thread if for discussing the Language Analysis. If you want to get involved with the discussion, then what are your answers to THESE 5 questions?

The Big 5 Questions.

1. Easy, normal, or hard - how difficult did you feel like Language Analysis was this year?
2. What are some of the main things you discussed in your essay?
3. What did you say about the image?
4. How do you feel like you went?
5. Are you fucking glad it's over?

My Breakdown of the Exam

Personally, I felt like it was an interesting exam. On one hand, I feel like the language is pretty easy to analyse - however, it's comparative, with three distinct pieces to analyse (including the image), so I wouldn't necessarily call it an "easy" VCAA exam, but I wouldn't call it hard, either. Overall I'd rate it as a "normal" difficult level, but I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on this given you were the one in the exam room! The length was fair, and the structure of the first article will likely be accessible to most students  - with four distinct paragraphs in the first article, all with a relatively distinct use of language.

Before I talk more about Section C, though, I just want to say that the English Exam is over and you should feel very fucking relieved. A lot of people will feel like they screwed up the exam however, you really can't know. Personally, I didn't finish my Language Analysis OR my Section B piece, and I thought that I would not perform very well because there were many things wrong with my essays. For example, one of my Language Analysis paragraphs was 450 words long, compared to my third paragraph which was only 150 words long!! I ended up scoring well into the 40s for English, so just keep your chin up. You could still do well. But that's not the point. Even if you did shit, you can't change it and it doesn't matter anymore - it's time to keep your head up and move forward to your next exams. As the great Rocky Balboa once said - "it ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!"

If you got hit today, then just keep moving forward.

Background Information

The background information to this article is pretty helpful. It says,
Lawton is a town of 3000 people. It used to be on a major highway. However, a recent highway diversion has isolated the town, causing a sharp drop in the number of visitors. This has caused concern for the economic future of the town. There is a range of ideas within the community about how to address the problem

The last sentence here hints pretty heavily at a comparative Language Analysis and tells students the contentions will be different. The second last sentence hints that the audience is likely to be concerned, scared, worried and whatever other word you can think of, about their livelihoods and economic security. All in all, a pretty basic "Background Information" box - nothing too secretive, just a normal bit of context.

Article 1 - Alexandra Wiley

I felt like this was pretty accessible to most students. The way I see it, there were four distinct paragraphs.

Paragraph 1
The opening essentially just shows the audience that "I am one of you!" - Wiley is trying to buddy up to the audience by showing she shares the culture of Lawton, talking about the pleasantries of crossing the street for a chat.

Halfway through the paragraph she switches tone and says "but there is a downside to this", and starts to strike a little bit of fear into the audience. The general 'aim' of the first paragraph is to get the audience to agree that, yes, we need a more tourist-based town. If she achieves this aim, then all she has left to do is talk about HOW to achieve a tourist-based town. 

The most interesting thing about Paragraph 1 is the "double" nature of the paragraph - starting off nice, then changing ever so slightly in the second half.

Paragraph 2
The second paragraph takes a pretty excited optimistic tone. She's trying to suck the audience into her own enthusiasm - being so enthusiastic that the enthusiasm can't help but infect other people (in this case, the audience). That's the sort of vibe I get from the second paragraph.

This is centred around her idea of "thinking on a grand scale". There's a lot of pride and positive language in this paragraph that's "selling" the idea of some "grand" change in the town. Pride and inclusivity -> "we grow the most succulent fruit".

She uses the word "imagine" twice - clearly trying to evoke some hope, wonder about the future. And of course, this paragraph is the one where she introduces the idea of a giant monument, so she's hoping to grow an association between the positivity and wonder, and the monument itself.

Paragraph 3
A nice little rebuttal here. She concedes that she doesn't yet have the final concept - and this could actually sound reasonable to the townsfolk. She isn't trying to pull a Tony Abbott and make a "Captain's Call". Instead, she's being pretty reasonable and 'thinking' about the plan to add a monument before she goes of and decides what a monument is. This concession is intended to make her look reasonable and consultative.

And at the same time, she tries to discredit those against her, who are talking shit on the monument without even knowing what it would be.

She slips some statistics in there ofc that appeal to the hip pocket nerve and the $$ side of the town. There's more inclusive language, "We deserve a share of that prosperity". She actually excludes the town with use of hte inclusive language - they are 'included' together, but together, they are separated from all the other cool towns who are raking in the cash!!!!!!

She's trying to make the audience indignant, to get them to sook a little bit, put a big frown on their face and whine, "WEEE WANT A MONUMENT TOOO, IT'S NOT FAIIIIR!"

This paragraph has a slightly different tone again. The second paragraph was positive, this one is a little bit more critical. Critical of her naysayers, and *almost* critical of the town's situation of not sharing in the prosperity of giant tourist attractions.

Paragraph 4
"Protect our lifestyle", "Australian lifestyle" -- significant stuff there. Protect is a pretty good word, trying to get the audience to feel defensive - which follows on from the feelings of "it's unfair". She appeals to patriotism and to the Aussie ideal of mateship, talking about "looking after" each other. Farmers, nurses, jobs - sounds  like a politician, doesn't she?

Basically, in this paragraph, she comes home hard with some more 'intense' techniques, trying to close her case.

All in all, there's a lot to talk about in this piece, and I feel like it's accessible to students who are looking for average scores as well as offering something to students who want the high scores, too.

Article 2- Ian Warwick

President of the 'Lawton Progress Association'. Interesting.

A pretty straightforward piece. He's clearly against the Mayor's proposition, despite "sharing her concern". He uses some pretty pompous (but strong) language throughout, such as "destroying [the town's] beauty", "pursuit of beauty", "defaced by vandals", "quality of ideas". It sort of positions him, and those who agree with him, as "above" the mere trifles of giant watermelons.

He also directly get's a 'zinger' in on the Mayor, saying the world as too many selfie opportunities. This type of ridicule supports the idea of him putting his idea "above" the populist one. It derides the opposition and positions the audience to want to join him - everyone would prefer to be the cool kids doing the humiliating rather than the lonely kids getting humiliated. That's the type of situation that Warwick's trying to create with his language here.

He's basically using negative language to paint the thing as a disaster. "Overrun" connotes an invasion on the rural culture of the town, "defaced by vandals" also implies that their town is too good, too refined, too classy for vandalism but that would change. These words (words associated with the monument) are contrasted with phrases like "art gallery", "literary week" - things far more high-brow and sophisticated.

Basically, so long as you said that Warwick thinks it's a shit idea to build a monument, you probably got some points for this piece :P

The Image

PLOT TWIST - YOU COULD SAY THE IMAGE SUPPORTED EITHER OF THE OTHER ARTICLES WAAAAAATTTTTTTT???

The most striking thing about the image this year is that it was almost presented as a third piece. Normally the image might be like, "the speaker included this image in their PowerPoint slide" or something like that, but this year, the caption was "The newspaper's cartoonist also contributed to the debate".

To frame the cartoonist as 'contributing to the debate' deliberately positions them as a third author, or as having their own contention. Normally, students aren't sort of told "HEY THE PERSON WHO MADE THE IMAGE HAS THEIR OWN CONTENTION". Instead, the image is sometimes just "there". But in this exam, it's in its own separate little box, presented as a third piece.

You could analyse it however you want, really, but I just thought it was interesting that the image was presented a bit differently this year.

As for the image itself, it has a few pretty interesting features. On the left of the image, you can see the highway that "bypasses" Lawton - it goes off into the hills. This is presumably the highway that was diverted to bypass the town. There's also another road running over that highway and circling around back into Lawton.

There's the gigantic watermelon right of centre, obviously, and to the left of the watermelon is the measly Church. Those with an eye for detail will notice that there are lots of people around the watermelon. There are many cars parked near the watermelon, a few cars driving to the watermelon, and if you look at the car in the bottom left hand corner of the image, the child and the reckless driver are staring out the window with exciting, looking forward to going to Lawton.

There are also a lot of fresh watermelons available - hinting at the economic prosperity the giant watermelon would bring. The sun is also shining - a nice symbol. The sign, bottom centre of the image, also claims Lawton is the "Home of the gian watermelon", essentially making the claim that the watermelon would indeed be a great tourist attraction.

HOWEVER the image can be read in two ways - depending on how you look at it. Let's check it out below:

If you look at the image from the perspective of someone AGREEING with Alexandra Wiley:
- The sun says it will be a good thing
- The excited faces of the people in the car say its a good thing
- The sign says it's a good thing
- The people around the watermelon says it's a good thing
- The Fresh Watermelons store says it's a good thing

However, you could say that the image might be pretty concerning to those AGAINST the watermelon. If people agree with Ian Warwick, the cartoon would be concerning because:

- The Church (a symbol of community and perhaps culture) is far overshadowed by the watermelon, which is impacting the town negatively (if you see it that way).
- There's a lot of people around, changing the landscape of the town.
- There are many children and cars in the image, supporting Warwick's point.

I feel like if you're not good at analysing images this one might have been a bit tough on many students, so I wouldn't beat yourself up about if it you didn't say much good stuff about the image. But whether you said the image supported Wiley or Warwick, you would get points either way, because it can support both arguments.

FAQ’s.

I didn’t finish/didn’t write a conclusion. Am I screwed?
Answer
Definitely not. Personally, I didn’t finish my exam either and still scored well into the forties. A friend of mine scored a 50 without finishing any of the three sections. We both went to a low-ranking public school. Ultimately, your mark is determined by how well what you did write hits the criteria.

I spelled an author's name wrong. Am I screwed?
Answer
No.

I didn’t mention the image. Am I screwed?
Answer
To be honest with you, it might have been beneficial if you had mentioned the image, but you definitely are not "screwed:. The criteria sheet says “analysis of ways in which language and visual features are used to present a point of view and to persuade readers”. If you didn't speak about the image, then you are not FULLY hitting this criteria, but you are still hitting it by talking about language features. You might have hit the criteria better if you had spoken about the image, but at the end of the day, you won't be penalised brutally just for forgetting the image - your essay will still be marked on its merits.

I didn’t  talk about the statistics/rhetorical question/patrotism/<any technique>. Am I screwed?
Answer
NO! It simply isn’t required to talk about absolutely every technique in the article. For all you know, your friend and yourself could both get 10/10 without mentioning any of the same things (although… that would be pretty improbable – but you get the idea!)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 02:04:05 pm by brenden »
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Gromekk

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Re: VCE English Exam - Language Analysis Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 12:50:13 pm »
fak, some debate on the discussion space page about the cartoon. I wrote that it opposed the construction, what about you guys?

mayonnaise

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 12:52:49 pm »
I did the same because I couldn't find much to talk about the other side  ;D

But I'm sure if it's been justified properly assessors would accept either interpretation

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 12:53:41 pm »
Opposed surely

purplegiraffe

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School: Catholic College Bendigo
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 12:54:32 pm »
fak, some debate on the discussion space page about the cartoon. I wrote that it opposed the construction, what about you guys?

I said that they thought that the idea was a little silly but everything still looked happy (no pollution, there's still trees etc.). So he didn't necessarily think it was a bad idea

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 12:57:08 pm »
I just modified the original post to talk about the image - it could be either way, and it's actually very crafty in that sense. It depends how you see it really. If you think Wiley has a point, the image is very positive. But if you think Warwick has a point, the image will scare you. Really interesting stuff!

tenn

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 01:07:42 pm »
Personally, I wrote that it agreed with Wiley (wrote about the masses of people, them flaunting their agricultural industry, the weather) and I didn't even see the subtle details associated with opposing him until after the exam.

Hope it doesn't screw up my mark  :o

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 01:12:47 pm »
I connected it to the whole "overrun by loud children and defaced by vandals" and the whole "large ugly installation" idea about the town being defined by their attraction and having it overshadow every other good thing about the town...

Also, I accidentally wrote that "accompanying the letter was a cartoon"... how fked am I?

upandgo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 01:14:33 pm »
in response to brenden's questions:

1. Easy, normal, or hard - how difficult did you feel like Language Analysis was this year?

i always contemplated the possibility of 2 articles and an image, so when i saw it in the exam i was quite excited lol, so id say it was fairly straightforward  :)

can't remember exactly.. i think i dedicated 1pg to wiley communicating the downside, and another to her intended solution. and my third must've been about warwick

i thought it was a good idea in the exam to formulate contentions for the image for both sides, so i incorporated it when analysing both wiley's and warwick's.. have no clue how thats gunna do down but oh well  :P

surprisingly positive but 12 hours from now i'll have realised i screwed up somewhere

yes!!! no more agonising over the 3 hour end-of-year exam  8)

how did everyone else go?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 01:16:51 pm by upandgo »
2015: Biology | Accounting
2016: English [44] | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Business Management | Legal Studies

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 01:15:59 pm »
+1
I connected it to the whole "overrun by loud children and defaced by vandals" and the whole "large ugly installation" idea about the town being defined by their attraction and having it overshadow every other good thing about the town...

Also, I accidentally wrote that "accompanying the letter was a cartoon"... how fked am I?
Not fucked at all, could still 10/10 :)

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 01:22:48 pm »

I think it was fair.

No rhetorical questions. Which for me, is a good thing, because I swear I never see them anyway.

1. The need for urgent action
2. The proposed attraction
3. Trust us, we'll get the job done... aggrandising the Council
4. The local newspaper + visual

See previous comment.

Meh. I had some difficulty finding stuff to analyse in the Mayor's letter; spent too much time talking about implications. The only real "technique" that I named was the statistic which I argued was there to legitimise the Councillor's implication that the council knew what they were doing.

YAS. So much so that I went to burn all my notes until my mother reminded me that...

a) Burning paper isn't good for the environment
b) I'm obliged to continue tradition and hand down all my notes to the next in my family to do VCE despite the fact that the course will have completely changed for the illustrative purpose of saying "look how much work she did! work harder!" -- I feel bad for my cousin already.
c) I pledged to donate scanned copies of half of my notes and sell the other half.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 01:34:40 pm »
+1
My 2¢ worth:

In my opinion is was about normal in difficulty, compared to some of the ones I did for practice. :P

I can't remember everything, but I remember I wrote a fair chunk of how Warwick was in opposition to the building of that giant statue thingy. :P

I said something about how it ridiculed Wiley's argument, from memory. :)

Better than I thought I would!! :D

You fking betcha! ;D
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Kimahso

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 01:40:27 pm »
I stuffed up so bad. For some reason I thought we finished the exam at 12:00 so I spent 45 minutes on TR, 1 hour on context and 1 hour on LA. So as I was nearing the end of LA I thought I didn't have enough time to talk about the vandals and whatever so I only dedicated about 7 words to that. Didn't get to talk about how it elicits shock in the reader or whatever. Do you think that will have a huge impact on my score?

Asides from that though I though the piece was pretty fair and I did alright. I thought the visual was supposed to oppose Wiley's argument since it's kind of sad that the pride of their town would be a partially eaten watermelon statue, as opposed to all the cultural pursuits that Warwick goes on about.
2015: methods: 38(43)
2016: english: 43 further: 47(46) chem: 35(39) physics: 32(34) french: 29(40)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 01:44:45 pm »

Normal, although for my language analysis sac i had a similar structure  - with an isolated cartoon + two written pieces.

Can't remember the specifics.

I analysed both interpretations will I be marked down?

Happy with my performance. Although I skipped out on the conclusion initially then completed the other two essays and somehow had 5 spare minutes and fudged a conclusion.

;D ;D :D :D

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 01:51:16 pm by Sine »

emilyb4398888

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 01:54:14 pm »
Guys so I couldn't remember whether Alexandra was a boys or girls name, and took it as a boys. But I am pretty sure it's more typically a female number, is this an issue???